Jump to content
rllmuk
Strategos

Escape From Tarkov, upcoming survival mmo(ish)

Recommended Posts

I'm a sucker for survival games and loved S.T.A.L.K.E.R so was pretty amped to see this. It's a hardcore survival game with MMO elements, both PVE and PVP, what sounds like a good story and no pissing around mollycoddling the players.

The prealpha footage on show looks pretty impressive, and though I've been a bit burnt by the whole early access thing (Dayz im looking at you) , this looks good enough and interesting enough to get me interested.

http://www.escapefromtarkov.com/

It's opened pre-orders but I can't find any info on release dates yet.

Jack Frags seemed impressed as well.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE

So I noticed lots of streamers are suddenly all over this. Has anyone taken the plunge? Seems to be super unforgiving for beginners and £35 is too much of a punt. I'm presuming no bugger cares as I had to dig this two post thread up from 2016.

Didn't think to check the Steam thread as it's not on Steam and I don't remember a dedicated PC game thread anywhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took the punt. It's super unforgiving. I've played some offline to try and learn the maps and my PC doesn't run it great but the 3 Scav runs (randomised character you can use every 20 minutes) I made I've only completed one which resulted in not much loot. The other 2 I got a bullet to the nape of my neck and one straight through the head. I haven't had the guts to take the main PMC (your built character where if you die you lose everything you take with you) out to try and loot shit. I'm not sure why I keep gravitating towards games that stress me the fuck out.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I took the punt. It's super unforgiving. I've played some offline to try and learn the maps and my PC doesn't run it great but the 3 Scav runs (randomised character you can use every 20 minutes) I made I've only completed one which resulted in not much loot. The other 2 I got a bullet to the nape of my neck and one straight through the head. I haven't had the guts to take the main PMC (your built character where if you die you lose everything you take with you) out to try and loot shit. I'm not sure why I keep gravitating towards games that stress me the fuck out.

 

Hey. I have put in about 30 hours into the game recently. Im not very good at it but i found the following useful: 

 

- Play Interchange offline and turn off PvE to learn the map. Find out the loot spawn locations and importantly the extract points.  The two scav exctractions will always be the same.  

 

- when you have learned the map do some scav runs.  You come into the instance at random points. If you come in at around 25 mins on the clock you should he able loot some dead players for stuff.

 

- dont worry about losing your stuff on PMC runs. When you are low level you are running bad equipment that other players wont take if they find you. So insure your stuff before the raid and there is a good chance you will get it back after 24 hours (real time). If you dont log in to claim it within an allotted time then you will lose it.

 

The quests are also a good thing to concentrate on as they will give you something to aim for and not feel like you are constantly getting your arse kicked.

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Herbalizer said:

 

Hey. I have put in about 30 hours into the game recently. Im not very good at it but i found the following useful: 

 

- Play Interchange offline and turn off PvE to learn the map. Find out the loot spawn locations and importantly the extract points.  The two scav exctractions will always be the same.  

 

- when you have learned the map do some scav runs.  You come into the instance at random points. If you come in at around 25 mins on the clock you should he able loot some dead players for stuff.

 

- dont worry about losing your stuff on PMC runs. When you are low level you are running bad equipment that other players wont take if they find you. So insure your stuff before the raid and there is a good chance you will get it back after 24 hours (real time). If you dont log in to claim it within an allotted time then you will lose it.

 

The quests are also a good thing to concentrate on as they will give you something to aim for and not feel like you are constantly getting your arse kicked.

 

 

 

 

 

Cheers. I'd been running Customs in PvE as it was suggested in a video, I suspect because Interchange is incredibly dark and seeing stuff is a pain. None of my practice runs on interchange have ended in successful extraction :D

All I'm trying to do at the moment is get to Level 5 so I can access the flea market. Only had one successful scav run out of about 7 and I kinda fucked up as the Exfil I went to was at Dorms on Customs and that place is always snided with cunts. My second mistake was trying to get out of the Exfil instead of trying to either run back the way I came or take the guy out, but I suspect I'd have been outclassed no matter what. I'm presuming it's been a few weeks since a server wipe and so people are geared to the teeth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This game seems to be gaining traction.  Doesn't appear to be too popular on here yet.  I'm hovering over the buy button... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, ravnaz said:

This game seems to be gaining traction.  Doesn't appear to be too popular on here yet.  I'm hovering over the buy button... 

 

I get the feeling it's just not appealing to anyone who has only limited time to play. I've put about 28 hours into it now and it's got problems that absolutely 100% will not be resolved by Battle State because it goes against the whole games philosophy. FWIW I've had some mad fun playing it over almost 30 hours and feel like I got my 40 quid out of it, and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of it, but it requires time, skill, lots and lots of patience and PC that can hold it at 60 frames to be on an even keel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

 

 

I get the feeling it's just not appealing to anyone who has only limited time to play. I've put about 28 hours into it now and it's got problems that absolutely 100% will not be resolved by Battle State because it goes against the whole games philosophy. FWIW I've had some mad fun playing it over almost 30 hours and feel like I got my 40 quid out of it, and I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of it, but it requires time, skill, lots and lots of patience and PC that can hold it at 60 frames to be on an even keel.

 

Interesting.  What kind of problems?  As in the difficulty/time investment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, so the basic premise of it is it's a looter shooter. You go into a map, you loot to sell, get out, sell shit, get better gear, move to better areas eventually. Doing a Scav run randomly generates gear on a character and you go into a map some time after the PMCs have spawned in (PMCs being characters that are built by players with gear found or bought). If you get out with a Scav, good work! You get the loot you have on you. If you die it's no biggie, you haven't lost anything as you never had it in the first place. However you can only do one Scav run every 20 minutes

PMC runs are more brutal. You gear yourself up with shit you've bought and found and that, you can insure it all for a fee and if you die in there AND NO-ONE LOOTS YOUR SHIT you get it back 24-36 hours later. However if you don't insure, or if someone loots your shit it's gone. Even the best players only have like a 50% survival rate.


The problem here is whatever matchmaking they're using spawns Level 3 newbies in with Level 40 Gen 4 armour geared uber-players and it's a frequent occurrence to get sniped out of nowhere within 2 minutes of spawning in. In about 20 Raids I haven't won one engagement with another player. Part of this is my PC can only manage 45-60 frames, part is me panicking and being a cack handed dolt, part of it is being outgeared.

It's savage. It has no tutorial. It tells you literally nothing. The ammo system alone took me ages to fathom, and even then I still have Reddit open for reference.  Some people play solely for the PvP aspect of it, hunting out player Scav spawns and just camping them. And the exfil campers are pure scum.

Watching the higher skilled players play it is delightful, and when you get out with good shit it's rewarding as fuck. I finally unlocked the flea market and made like 1.1 million roubles selling all the shit I'd horded so that'll keep me in basic gear for a while.


TL;DR it'll kick you in the bollocks because you spawn in against better geared players than you and there's fuck all you can do about it.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

...

Lolz - good to know, thanks - perhaps not for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

Lolz - good to know, thanks - perhaps not for me.

 

It's not something I'd recommend without a million caveats, but it's also a game entirely contrary to everything I enjoy in games and I still like playing it. It also helps a little that EVERYONE gets fucked at some point, no matter how skilled you are.

The other thing that grates a little is the stuff you get with each edition. There's 3 tiers, which give you different stash space (which on the lowest tier is very limited I've found) and a different size 'container' where you can store things that you don't lose if you die in a raid. The basic one comes with 2x2 Alpha Container, the Edge Of Darknes Stupid Bastard Money Edition comes with a Gamma Container that's 3x3, so you're still not getting out with a gun in there, but it's good for keys and expensive meds and stuff. And you can upgrade to more expensive editions a discount if you want to later.

The next time I see it's on sale I'll post in here and quote you and you can make a decision. It sounds like you have already, but have a butchers on twitch; WTFMoses, Pestily and Sacriel are the ones that offend me the least, Pestily especially has some excellent beginner vids on his youtube.

Sorry for yammering on but you're literally the only person I've been able to talk to about this game. Nobody else in my life gives a fuck :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

 

It's not something I'd recommend without a million caveats, but it's also a game entirely contrary to everything I enjoy in games and I still like playing it. It also helps a little that EVERYONE gets fucked at some point, no matter how skilled you are.

The other thing that grates a little is the stuff you get with each edition. There's 3 tiers, which give you different stash space (which on the lowest tier is very limited I've found) and a different size 'container' where you can store things that you don't lose if you die in a raid. The basic one comes with 2x2 Alpha Container, the Edge Of Darknes Stupid Bastard Money Edition comes with a Gamma Container that's 3x3, so you're still not getting out with a gun in there, but it's good for keys and expensive meds and stuff. And you can upgrade to more expensive editions a discount if you want to later.

The next time I see it's on sale I'll post in here and quote you and you can make a decision. It sounds like you have already, but have a butchers on twitch; WTFMoses, Pestily and Sacriel are the ones that offend me the least, Pestily especially has some excellent beginner vids on his youtube.

Sorry for yammering on but you're literally the only person I've been able to talk to about this game. Nobody else in my life gives a fuck :lol:

:lol:

 

Ah, ok - yeah, for a sale price (depending on what that was), I might give it a go.

 

It does sound compelling, I like the idea of it for sure - last couple of days I've watched a variety of vids, so I get the mechanics of it all - watched DrDisrespect playing last night; not a lot happened.  Where I fit into that percentage of how fruistrated I'd be, I'm not so sure.  H/W wise I don't think I'd have a problem - I exceed the recommended specs.  

 

I'm also making my way through Witcher 3 ATM - so do I have time for this in my life too?  

 

So, there is an element of pay to win (or at least, better your odds) in those items you get for the variety of tiers.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be a good counter point to Witcher 3. It depends how much time you have for games in general. And yeah, it is a little P2W but it doesn't give people anything more than space, really. You get some gifts sometimes from the devs, I don't know if that's edition based. I'll tell thee this, mind; sorting your inventory out is one of the most satisfying and frustrating things. It's exactly like it was in Resident Evil 4 but to the nth degree. Quite a few times I've finished a Scav run and had to spend so long sorting through my inventory and the timer has reset and I can do another run.

Anyway, I've seen it up to 33% off before Xmas, and they had 25% off over Xmas so it'll prolly come round again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh one more thing, while in it's in beta they're wiping progress every few months. The next one is expected to be March so the beginning of a wipe will be a better jumping on point than at this relatively late stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the community any less toxic than it used to be? The comments about female character models from the developers didn't exactly help and seemed to bolster that part of the community further.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, if I'd seen that shit before I gave them my money I wouldn't have because it's such a bullshit excuse/reason/stance. It seems most developers or publishers says or do something incredibly idiotic recently and it's fucking exhausting.

 

As for the community at large I don't know. I've stayed away from Reddit and the forums regarding discussion, I've read a few threads in relation to how shit works or what shit I need for a gun etc etc and the responses by and large have been in the helpful and polite camp. The streamers I've watched are fine and their communities seem fine. There's just something about this kind of game that unfortunately attracts shitbirds.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

ugh FFS - bought.

 

*sighs* Welcome to Hell.
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Helpful links. Shit I feel I should add:

  • mouse wheel controls your walk speed and therefore sound
  • ALWAYS use your scav cool down
  • Before level 5 just sell your shit. Sell everything that isn't a gun or ammo, and even then sell shit guns and ammo.
  • Disassemble said guns before selling them because you get more for the individual bits.
  • Some armour is worthless. It's paper. It  does nothing.
  • LEARN THE AMMO. LEARN IT.
  • You are going to die so much you'll want to put your PC through a wall. 

Have fun!
 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im loving this lads. Cant recommend it enough unless you cry every time you get killed, then dont buy it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Plus, If you are in Europe and want to come in with one or two of us (Lvl 19) you are more than welcome. Its way easier with group but you learn much more going in on your own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish Strategos would play the bloody thing with me aswell, seeing as we are in the same clan and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Sir Mullo said:

Im loving this lads. Cant recommend it enough unless you cry every time you get killed, then dont buy it.

 

Oh fuck yeah. Frustrating as it is you soon learn to not be salty about it. There's no point because it happens so frequently. My frustration is when you get blatantly thermal'd out of nowhere, but even then there's nothing you can do about it so you just pick yourself up and try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

 

Oh fuck yeah. Frustrating as it is you soon learn to not be salty about it. There's no point because it happens so frequently. My frustration is when you get blatantly thermal'd out of nowhere, but even then there's nothing you can do about it so you just pick yourself up and try again.

 

I now make sure i have pretty good gear and meds to deal with most interactions like that

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Played 2 games just now - 

First with my character, loaded with one pistol and a mag - killed whilst I was looking at a map on my other screen
Second with the SCAV, killed some random walking past me within like 14s of spawning, wasn't sure who it was or if I should be shooting, so just killed him.  Then died about 10 mins later.

 

Pretty good experience, even though I've accomplished nothing.  Built up everything I can in the hideout.  Gotta wait for cool down on the SCAV and also my main character to heal up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

@moosegrinder - those starting weapons.  Are you saying I should sell them (after having disassembled)?

 

I should have been more expansive, sorry. Basically do what you think, but unless you bought the Edge of Darkness edition you'll run out of stash space fast.

 

Also you'll most likely lose those guns on a pmc run. Use them on runs, I more meant you'll get guns which are absolute garbage or that you can't work with. 

 

Tbh the only way to really learn in this game is by doing and figuring out what works for you. A lot of people say the Mosin is the best budget gun, and the AKs are pretty good. Use my help as guidelines than hard and fast rules, especially as I'm a noob myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

Played 2 games just now - 

First with my character, loaded with one pistol and a mag - killed whilst I was looking at a map on my other screen
Second with the SCAV, killed some random walking past me within like 14s of spawning, wasn't sure who it was or if I should be shooting, so just killed him.  Then died about 10 mins later.

 

Pretty good experience, even though I've accomplished nothing.  Built up everything I can in the hideout.  Gotta wait for cool down on the SCAV and also my main character to heal up.

 

As a Scav other Scavs won't attack you unless you attack first. Bear in mind Scavs can be other players and will probably shoot you first.

 

The other thing I should have mentioned is that there's an offline mode where you can learn the maps. Go to PMC and click next until you see a check box that says something like "play offline". Just checking that will spawn you into a map with noone else, not even Scavs unless you check the PvE box.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.