IGNORED

Self imposed game purchasing ban

sandman

Well, I haven't bought a game in 2 weeks now, the cold turkey is really setting in. I went into GAME the other night and had to force myself to NOT go to the pre-owned/sale section in order to ensure I wasn't tempted.

The good thing is that I'm actually playing the games I've already got. I finished Max Payne 2 on Monday and am 67% into POP and about 60% through Broken Sword TSD. This was the whole point of the exercise, to actually play THROUGH some games to completion and so far it seems to be working.

I can't stop going into game shops though and last week I bought a wireless controller for the PS2.

Another good thing is that there doesn't seem to be too much on the PAL horizon at the mo. This is a traditionally quite time of year for releases and this is definately helping.

I'm on a self imposed "buy no games" ban too. Instead, I've been trying to make the most of Blockbuster's "Freedom Pass". Don't know if they offer them in the UK, but in the US, you get to rent as many games as you want within a 30 day period, with the one limitation being you can only have one title out at any time. You are free to swap it as much as you like however.

I've been posting my thoughts on each game on my site: http://www.bairdy.com/. The site is very barebones, it's really just a place to dump my game thoughts. So far, I'm keeping up the pace of renting 30 games within 30 days, just to get a "taste" of games I've missed in the past year.

I imposed a Game ban until March at the beginning of the year and in that time I have bought

P.N.03

Breath of Fire

SSX 3

In Cold Blood

And I have had to resist the temptation to purchase Kirby Nightmare is Dreamland (successful after reading a few reviews), Phantasy Star Collection (sold out) and the same with NBA Street Vol. 2. So I am succeeding but not entirely due to willpower.

i said i wouldn't get any games until the end of march... but today i got super runabout on the DC :) . i have lasted for a couple of weeks though and i've sold a few games to make some money. i'm going to try and not but more than 5games untill march now but only if i complete a game(other than the n64 games i'm getting from this forum ;) )

There'll be no stopping me come Feb 6th for Sonic Heroes.

Other then that, I'm not wealthy enough to get games whenever I want. Yet I have alot on my list to get finished.

SADX is nearly done...just 6 more missions...Billy Hatchers got quite a bit to go with 20 emblems and eggs and coins and S ranks to go. F-Zero GX I'm not too bothered by at the mo, and VJ I'm a tad stuck on the 5-boss-melee thing. Majora I suddenly grew out of, need to get those zora eggs. I'll come back to that later also.

And those are just the ones on my Gaming Diet 5 list.

I've put a game ban on myself too - also until March. With one exception, and that's GBA Harvest Moon (but you all know that now).

Last game I bought was Toca 2 for the PC, and that was a freebie because my girlfriend couldn't find a third game for the 3-for-£10 deal.

I should ban her though, she bought another three last week. Still, Rayman 2 is one.

Oh shit, I lied. I bought Eternal Darkness, Zelda CE, an Xbox, JSRF, Ghost Recon and DOA3 for £136 from the trading folder.

Meh...

I'm not buying anything until after I've saved up for a Famicom SP. That will take one or two more weeks, but I figure if I'm going to import that, I may as well import 2 or 3 jap games at the same time. Teehee! LOOPHOLE CITY

just dont go into game shops. When i worked in GAME i wanted to buy everything, since i left there i havent really set foot back in a games shop, nothing really interests me.

But well done on making it two weeks.

Yeah, I used to work at Dixons during my College years. I played ALL games (Or had a look at them at least). I could just take them home and return them whenever I wanted. We just had to write down what we took home :-)

Pretty cool. You do tend to enjoy the games less because of the Massive Overkill.

I buy a game maybe twice a month and my gaming experience has seriously increased. :)

Here's the problem with self-imposed purchasing bans... when it comes to an end.

Last year I managed to not buy a game for 2 whole months, but the fall out from this was at the end of the two months I immediately ordered 6 games, so I just got a bunch of games at once instead of spreading them out over a 2 month period

You're all worthless and weak! ;)

I haven't bought a game since Prince of Persia in mid-December although I did get Donkey Konga for Christmas. So that's about 5 weeks.

I'm going to try and last until Easter (around my Birthday).

Aren't I good?

I just can't take it, since putting my selection of 5 games in the "finish those games threads" I've...

i Completed none of them

ii Bought Manhunt, Diablo 2, Red Alert 2, Op Flash, and Baldurs gate.

I am so very weak (and now poor).

EDIT I picked up tenchu3 for a tenner as well ;)

I'll be participating after I buy 1080 tomorrow. That'll bring the "to finish" list up to:

1080 (Pending)

Ocarina of Time (Just finished the water temple)

Majora's Mask (Pending)

Metroid Prime (I have no idea, having left it so long - and the hint system isn't giving anything)

Doshin the Giant (5 monuments, iirc)

Splinter Cell (On the awful chinese streets level)

Hitman 2 (On the park/carbomb level)

Project Zero (*shudder*)

KOTOR (Past Dantooine, got bored in Tatooine)

GTA3 (Just past the mission where you have to take the cop to the airport)

Vice City (47%, only the cuban missions and a phone call at the airport are open)

I'm thinking of selling some stuff that I never play/will never play again as well.

To be honest I do have two new games in my collection since the start of the finish those games thread. Donkey Konga, but that was my xmas pressie to myself and R:Racing Evolution (more for Pac Man Vs than R:RE) but seeing as I traded in 7 old games for this I think that balances out. I've stopped going into town now so I don't get tempted. Making good progress on Manhunt and Max Payne 2 and Beyond Good and Evil at the moment as well.

Guest Penguin_Lad

Psyvaria was spotted @ 9.99 in a GAME, today. SALE!

(also)

Gitaroo Man - £4.99

Mr Moskeeto - £4.99

Ring of Red - £2.99

SHOX - £4.99

Hey don't give in man! ;)

I just can't take it, since putting my selection of 5 games in the "finish those games threads" I've...

i Completed none of them

ii Bought Manhunt, Diablo 2, Red Alert 2, Op Flash, and Baldurs gate.

I am so very weak (and now poor).

EDIT I picked up tenchu3 for a tenner as well ;)

Tenchu3 is a bad, BAAAAD game....