rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Steven

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

10 minutes ago, GMass said:

phasma

Hide contents

What a waste - that was like boba felt dieing because of a comedy jet pack misfire....oh.  

It was really more the achingly-contrived dialogue her reintroduction was designed for. Boba Fett had an actual a purpose in the story and then died (like a buffoon).

9 minutes ago, GMass said:

phasma

Hide contents

What a waste - that was like boba felt dieing because of a comedy jet pack misfire....oh.  

Spoiler

no way is she dead, she will return, with scars and a vendetta.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, GMass said:

I rate Revenge above the other prequels simply because of the cold blooded Order 66.

Order 66 was in itself an excellent idea within the film. Totally brutal. But it does kind of wipe out one of the things Vader is supposed to be famous for doing, unless you count younglings.

1 hour ago, jerellis1 said:

They were originally meant to be Wookies. That would have been amazing.

Wook-e / e-wok

I suspect even if it was true, it wouldn't have worked half as well. Ewoks make the universe bigger, and fit better as an  underdog for the Empire to underestimate. Plus they are really creepy as fuck. Seriously, Return of the Jedi is great.

As for ROTS: it moves at a lick neither TPM (which I'd agree is the best of the prequels) or AOTC does, and generally has a bit of spectacle going for it in place of plot or character. It's amazing the sins you can forgive a film if it just manages to hold your interest for a couple of hours.

I heard someone called Patches on a Podcast say he thought Phantom Menace was better than ROTJ.

WTF is this Breitbart level, fake news bullshit??

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jackson said:

Maybe other people have different opinions

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Whaaaat!?!?

It's baffling people don't get this isn't it. I had a really really fun time at the cinema this morning. 9/10 so fuck you. ( Not you Jackson)

Yup. Absolutely. That's what makes life exciting - the wonderful variety (of opinion, that is) . 

Doesn't mean I have to "get it" . Happy new year! 

X

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Why does anyone care about Phasma, by the way? And why have they bothered to create a special named chromed Stormtrooper, only to have her be a comedy aside in both films to date?

With Phasma it feels like she was a toy before a character was developed; looks cool but does very little... actually, maybe she is a shiny tribute to Boba.

• Upvote 1

The story so far...

The film opens to near universal critical acclaim.

Punters start watching it. Some also love it. Some think it’s disappointing - perhaps in part fuelled by the pre-hype, perhaps due to the (near universally agreed) plot problems and certain character choices.

People go online to opine about the perceived problems. Some (at the extremes) even suggest some kind of conspiracy amongst reviewers to hold it in such high regard.

Lovers/defenders of the film respond, doubling down on how much they enjoyed it and swat away much of the criticism (often even while acknowledging its validity). Their love of the film grows by proxy.

Those with criticisms see these 9/10 and 10/10 reviews as hyperbole and so double down on their negative views. Their dislike of the film grows by proxy.

The opinions are entrenched. Some in the middle see it as a good SW film with problems, but a growing cohort at either end of the spectrum see it as a classic or a catastrophe. Each group’s opinions moulded not so much by the film, as by the need to hold the inverse position to the other group.

Sensible discussion is largely jettisoned into the cold vacuum of space.

Spoiler

Where only Princesses can survive.

I suspect this will increasingly be the critical future of this franchise.

• Upvote 8

I am in the disappointed camp, mainly as I enjoyed TFA so much.  It feels very odd to swap directors for one story and not have them really talk about the direction of key plot points.  I mean it sort of makes it seem like ‘someone’ doesn’t really care what story is being told, which is daft.

Characters like Rei and Poe were great in TFA and here under utilised.  Poe’s arc in particular was so ‘beat you over the head’ obvious it annoyed.

I mostly enjoyed watching it but in the middle my attention waned and I found it slow going.

But it’s not a catastrophe.  Hopefully the next film gets back on track.

• Upvote 7

12 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

Why does anyone care about Phasma, by the way? And why have they bothered to create a special named chromed Stormtrooper, only to have her be a comedy aside in both films to date?

The Phasma novel is excellent and just shows how wasted she is in the films. She should have been miles better. Very frustrating.

13 hours ago, jerellis1 said:

I’ve always been baffled by the way people generally seem to rate Revenge of the Sith as the best of the prequels. It isn’t. It’s absolutely as bad as Attack of the Clones. The only remotely palatable prequel is The Phantom Menace, and even that’s still obviously awful. There are at least some genuinely good parts in it (Darth Maul scrap, podrace) whereas there’s literally nothing worth seeing (or actually watchable) in the other two. The Phantom Menace also has a brilliant score, which I don’t think has been topped by either of the TFA and TLJ soundtracks.

This is not true. There are about three seconds towards the end of AOTC where you see a clone trooper through some battle dust and it looks like a verité WW2 flick gone sci-fi, which is wonderful.

But apart from that, it’s true.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, sprite said:

Characters like Rei and Poe were great in TFA and here under utilised. 

Really? Rey and Ren's interlinked stories are the absolute highlight for me. And Luke's. Daisy and Adam's acting has gone up a notch, great casting by JJ. I do agree about Poe but then he wasnt exactly interesting the Force Awakens either.

• Upvote 3

I think a good test for a good character is trying to describe them. Rey, Luke, Ren, after this movie I could go on for hours.

For Poe, all I've got is "he's a good pilot, he likes shooting things, he has a droid which he tickles"

49 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Really? Rey and Ren's interlinked stories are the absolute highlight for me. And Luke's. Daisy and Adam's acting has gone up a notch, great casting by JJ. I do agree about Poe but then he wasnt exactly interesting the Force Awakens either.

Well, it’s a personal thing for sure but for me the overwhelming memory of Rei from the film was the slow plodding middle bit on the island which I didn’t enjoy.  I agree the dynamic between her and Ren is good, and perhaps even the centrepiece of the film, but there’s something about that that still feels a little disappointing.  I’m not sure really why.  It’s like this big ensemble was built up in TFA and then just dropped.

I suppose that’s always the challenge of a “middle” story, though.  See also: The Two Towers!  Which makes it all the more odd to have the director change with no follow through.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jackson said:

I think a good test for a good character is trying to describe them.

I think you might have stolen that from Red Letter Media's TPM review.

• Upvote 1

Went to see The Last Jedi a few weeks ago and came away pretty disappointed. Mostly because I didn’t really enjoy a lot of the bolder plot choices and felt a few other patchy moments amplified, or overshadowed the positives. Mostly.

Anyway, went again this afternoon and I’m happy to say I was very wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed the positives far more this time around, and feel more comfortable giving most of the perceived missteps a pass, much like the wonkier moments of eps 4-6.

There are still parts that I can’t get on with, chiefly Space Vegas, which is a lurch towards the indulgent, ill-judged territory that drowned the few positives in the prequels. The social commentary is layered on more than a bit thick by Rose and DJ, and a few characters are either wasted or not really developed beyond their TFA introduction.

However, the highs, many of which I only appreciated on second viewing, really are quite spectacular. I loved *that* hyperspace moment already, second time I teared up: it’s visually astonishing, one of the most breathtaking moments of any Star Wars film.

The same goes for much of the rest of the film to be fair, it is really quite beautiful. Certainly appreciated Ren even more this time around, Rey’s time with Luke and the finale, which originally I didn’t connect with emotionally but really enjoyed on repeat viewing.

The film obviously also has plenty of nostalgia too, just wed to some bolder plot turns that perhaps jarred first time around. Getting used to Rian Johnson’s more playful approach just took a bit time. 

So absolutely not the disappointment I thought, and many of the negatives diminish when viewed a second time. Overall a strong film with plenty to like, and even a fair few moments to love. Maybe I am interested in where episode IX goes after all...

Edited by gospvg
spoilers added
  • Upvote 8

1 hour ago, rubberducker said:

I think you might have stolen that from Red Letter Media's TPM review.

Ok. It can still be what I think though. If you watch Planet Earth and say we should protect the oceans, it's not stealing David Attenborough's ideas!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sprite said:

Well, it’s a personal thing for sure but for me the overwhelming memory of Rei from the film was the slow plodding middle bit on the island which I didn’t enjoy.  I agree the dynamic between her and Ren is good, and perhaps even the centrepiece of the film, but there’s something about that that still feels a little disappointing.  I’m not sure really why.  It’s like this big ensemble was built up in TFA and then just dropped.

I suppose that’s always the challenge of a “middle” story, though.  See also: The Two Towers!  Which makes it all the more odd to have the director change with no follow through.

The Two Towers is fantastic though, so I’m not sure of the comparison. It feels every bit the middle of a grand, interconnected story. It doesn’t throw away every mystery of Fellowship, it builds on them and brings loads more characters into play, whilst setting up the grand finale yet being hugely epic on its own.

TLJ doesn’t do any of that really.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, GMass said:

To nit pick - The Lord of the Rings isn't a trilogy - just one film cut into three parts. 

Well, it’s one story split into 3 films really. And Jackson did a brilliant job.

The first two parts of this supposed trilogy, feel like they’re trying their best to be completely different stories and that any links between them is a bad thing. It’s certainly nowhere near as cohesive a story as Lord of The Rings.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, womblingfree said:

I heard someone called Patches on a Podcast say he thought Phantom Menace was better than ROTJ.

WTF is this Breitbart level, fake news bullshit??

Brilliance.

• Upvote 1

I have to take back what I said regarding:

Kylo killing Snoke the way he did. I was against the manner in how he was dispatched, that someone so powerful couldn't sense a user using the Force.

However, watching the prequels and namely the Attack of the Clones, we have Yoda, Mace Windu, and Obi who can't even sense another Sith user right next to them. Namely the threat of Palpatine who is already a Sith Lord.

20 hours ago, Jammy said:

@glb Although i enjoyed the film first time round unlike yourself, this is why I definitely need to go again.

It is really daft and I’m slightly embarrassed to admit this but I was really glum over my initial disappointment. Not that every film I’d like to be good will end up being so but Star Wars means so much for so many reasons, and has done for nigh on 30-odd years, that I was struggling with my poor reaction, whilst also trying not to be an absolute manchild about it (seeing that others enjoyed it helped).

Was very pleasantly surprised today. There’s loads I missed first time around, and most of what jarred simply didn’t in second watch (even that bit). Happy to be wrong, so much so that I might sneak in a third watch, just to enjoy that bit, that bit and, oh, THAT bit!

Dumb really, all this over bloody laser swords, ancient religions and protocol droids...

(:wub:)

• Upvote 4

On 30/12/2017 at 21:41, Captain LeChuck said:

Yeah, let's bring on the Ewoks, that well known space-faring race with their wooden rocket ships...

Fuck ewoks. The only ONLY reason they're in ROTJ is because Lucas wanted them. The ewoks were not in Kasdan's script. Kasdan and Marquand had to rework Endor to fit them in. Because George Lucas. 

What a wanker that Lucas is!  It’s not as if he had anything to do with the creation of the franchise.

George who?

It was alright, I think in the next film, Han Solo will walk out of a thunderstorm into some random bar with a disheveled beard and long hair, can see it coming a mile off 

On 30/12/2017 at 22:14, K said:

The idea that the ewoks in Return of the Jedi were originally supposed to be Wookies is a myth. I don’t think there was ever a version of the ROTJ screenplay with Wookies; the confusion I think came from an earlier version of the script to the original Star Wars, where (IIRC) Luke and Obi-Wan are marooned on a planet of Wookies and foment an uprising. Gary Kurtz is the source of the urban myth, I suspect - he’s forged himself a post-Star Wars career of spinning yarns and telling fans what they want to hear. 

ROTJ was ewoks from day one. 

Nah. There's definitely a Lucas interview where he says that he decided to cut the Wookies in half and call them Ewoks. It might even be either the ROTJ or ROTS dvd commentaries. Endor was originally supposed to be Kashyyyk. That's part of the reason that Lucas decided to put Kashyyyk in Revenge of the Sith. It was the first appearance of Lucas's perverse sense of humour in making unpopular decisions that would become a constant feature of his prequels.

16 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Nah. There's definitely a Lucas interview where he says that he decided to cut the Wookies in half and call them Ewoks. It might even be either the ROTJ or ROTS dvd commentaries. Endor was originally supposed to be Kashyyyk. That's part of the reason that Lucas decided to put Kashyyyk in Revenge of the Sith. It was the first appearance of Lucas's perverse sense of humour in making unpopular decisions that would become a constant feature of his prequels.

Lucas also claims that he had all the family relationships in Star Wars worked out from the start, that Han was always supposed to be shown shooting first, that he’d worked out Anakin’s fall and redemption prior to even shooting the prequels, that there were always supposed to be be six / nine / twelve SW films, and that he’d intended to superimpose a stop motion monster over the actor playing Jabba in Star Wars in post-production. I love Lucas and think he’s underrated as a director, but he does have a tendency to just lie about stuff in interviews. 

• Upvote 7