rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Witch - New horror gaining strong reviews

Are they in a similar category then? We've enjoyed horror movies that create a good atmosphere of dread (Paranormal Activity scared the shit out of me, though the sequels are a bit weak), and Babadook is next on our list.

Watched this last night. It was good, but not really scary. Good atmosphere. Didn't even remember it was Finchy until I read this thread.

• Upvote 1

I agree, I wasn't scared. But it's just a wonderful film. A lot of horrors forget to be good movies too.

Babadook is phenomenal in the same way. It cares about characters and motivation, and manages scares along the way, rather than just going straight to horror. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/11/2016 at 1:15 PM, Kauwiks said:

I actually had to look this up on IMDB to make sure everyone was talking about the same film I saw. I went to see this with  my wife, and thought it was unambiguously dreadful; genuinely surprised by all the positive reviews. We were entertained, but for all the wrong reasons.

I can't help but channel Black Phillip occasionally though:

"Toast?"

"Yes please"

"...and wouldst thou like...the taste...of butter?"

Can I ask what didn't work for you? Have you seen The Crucible, Witchfinder General, The Tree of Wooden Clogs, Wicker Man... These are what come to mind for me. It feels like an authentic peek behind the curtain of a time and a situation that drips with authenticity.

What were the elements that you struggled with?

I actually haven't seen any of the titles you mention (not even the Wicker Man!) - I'm not exactly a connoisseur of the genre I'm afraid :blush:

Thinking about what I struggled with in The Witch, I've clearly missed something fundamental - the sense of dread - and though I can hardly argue that it isn't there at all when it evidently is for so many others, it absolutely fell flat for me. I could see that the twins were supposed to be creepy, that some of the shots of the forest itself genuinely were (best thing about it), and that the rising paranoia of the family was intended to be the hook of the film (...right?), but the sense of building dread and tension that was key to this working as a horror film just...wasn't there for me. Without that, I was left with no real intrigue, aside from the modern disbelief that zealous beliefs could (and can) so utterly cloud someone's view of their loved ones. 

I thought this was good as a psychological study, a more personal counterpoint to something like The Crucible. Just watching a family come apart at the seams through its own superstitions.

Spoiler

The irony being of course that there actually IS a VVitch, and an evil goat to boot.

Nicely shot, I assume completely natural light. I found it amusing that there's a little disclaimer at the end about the language, because it is a little jarring. Like people trying to sound as though they're from the past even though it's legit.

2 hours ago, womblingfree said:

A little souvenir for those who have already seen the movie.

Love it! "Where did the twins go?"

Just watched it. Best horror film I've seen in ages. Off to bed now, and...

Spoiler

No doubt I'll be dreaming of evil goats and screaming, writhing, floating witches. With their tits out.

Best film of the year for me.

Creeped the absolute fuck out of me. Went out in the garden to smoke a ciggie afterwards. Garden is big enough, and it was dark enough that night that I couldn't see the end of it as I stood there. Just heard the cold wind howling, the tree branches creaking as they rubbed up against each other, the sweaking of the kid's swing in the breeze and the high pitched quiet cackling of a fuckin' FOX, which was what eventually got me pressed right up against the rear of the house.

Couldn't even face turning my back on the darkness as I fumbled around entering the house while walking backwards, not blinking once.

• Upvote 5

Just saw this.

Loved it very much! Quality throughout. The only bit that bothered me was them casting Finchy.

Just sat through this, found it a pretty tepid slog for the most part. Kudos to everyone involved being so earnest with the setting and their performances, but I just couldn't connect with it at all.

The ending could have been creepy... until the witches all floated off...

:lol: 

On 9/24/2017 at 12:59, glb said:

Just sat through this, found it a pretty tepid slog for the most part. Kudos to everyone involved being so earnest with the setting and their performances, but I just couldn't connect with it at all.

Hide contents

The ending could have been creepy... until the witches all floated off...

:lol: 

Apologies for bringing this up, but I've only just seen it and thought it was really very good. 

You're right about the ending to a certain extent.

I thought it could have finished a scene earlier and I'd have thought it pretty much spot on

Just have the shot where we see her walking into the woods, along with Billy goat gruff

However, it was great!

If you dig The Witch then another amazing flick worth seeing is superlative Danish witch trial / love trianglethon Vredens Dag (‘Day of Wrath’ I think).

It moves like molasses, but it’s a stunning watch.

• Upvote 1

This was a strange one for me. It wasn't scary, or disturbing or whatever. I think it was well made and well acted, and it wasn't boring but it didn't really do anything for me.

• Upvote 1

Saw this a while back and may have commented but I thought this was fantastic- more unsettling than outright scary and atmosphere so thick you could cut it with a knife. Had forgotten the end  scene but by that point I was so impressed that minor quibble was easily dismissed for me though can understand folks having issue with it.

Need to see the lighthouse (same director?)   too.

• Upvote 1

Watched this the other day too, thought it was good, strong performances all round. Maybe would have been better being a bit more ambiguous at the end. Surprised to see the lead actress was also in Split, she was really good.