The People vs O.J. Simpson (American Crime Story)

Wizcat

Yeah, even those well-versed in the OJ trial are gripped because there's so many aspects of it that can be explored now that just couldn't be at the time. The dust has settled and now they have so much more to work off. The backstage polotics, the tension between both sets of lawyers, the whole Jury can even be played on.

Ooh, so American Crime Story is going to be a series, sort of? That's cool.

Yeah, even those well-versed in the OJ trial are gripped because there's so many aspects of it that can be explored now that just couldn't be at the time. The dust has settled and now they have so much more to work off. The backstage polotics, the tension between both sets of lawyers, the whole Jury can even be played on.

I think a Michael Jackson trial would be interesting, the 1993 case. Would be a bit of a crappy conclusion though. Maybe oscar pistorius?

I think a Michael Jackson trial would be interesting, the 1993 case. Would be a bit of a crappy conclusion though. Maybe oscar pistorius?

Poor old Cuba Gooding. Must have thought he had the starring role, but it turns out to be quite a shallow representation of O.J.

Other than the first couple of episodes we're only seeing 'angry OJ'. It is one of the weaker characters in a cast full of great actors. Bit of a shame really. I'm sure OJ must have had conflicting emotions, regret, sadness, but without anyone to confess to I guess we don't see him expressing any of that

16 minutes ago, Wizcat said:

Poor old Cuba Gooding. Must have thought he had the starring role, but it turns out to be quite a shallow representation of O.J.

Other than the first couple of episodes we're only seeing 'angry OJ'. It is one of the weaker characters in a cast full of great actors. Bit of a shame really. I'm sure OJ must have had conflicting emotions, regret, sadness, but without anyone to confess to I guess we don't see him expressing any of that

Personally, I think he does a great job and the level of screen time for him is spot on. Despite it being about OJ, this show isn't really about OJ at all. I like that.

The whole Martin vs Seinfeld thing, then cutting to Simpson saying how much he loves Kraymer... That's all it needs.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it's over. One of the best TV shows I've ever seen. Cannot recommend it enough. 

I can't really think of a bad word to say about it which is verging on madness when David Schwimmer and John Travolta both star in it!

4 hours ago, dam_aks said:

So, it's over. One of the best TV shows I've ever seen. Cannot recommend it enough. 

I can't really think of a bad word to say about it which is verging on madness when David Schwimmer and John Travolta both star in it!

Completely agree, it's pretty much faultless. The chemistry between Marcia and Chris was amazing to watch, brilliant acting. 

The prosecution fucked up so, so badly but Cochrane put together a truly brilliant defence and deserves credit for it, regardless of one's feelings towards his client.

The way it ends showing a truly Pyrrhic victory for O.J with most of society no longer wanting anything to do with him was perfect. He had his freedom but nothing else. Apparently, Bobby Kardashian refused to speak or deal with him again to his dying day, he was so ashamed and disgusted by it all.

Cracking telly, loved it.

Just watched ep 10. So great. I knew the result but I was only about 10 during the trial itself so all of the surrounding details were new to me.

The judge was a spitting image of his actor though, same with Darden. Shame they went with Travolta really, he was an odd mis-step. 

Amazing show. Channeled 90s melodramas - their look and pacing - whilst also subverting their melodrama. Brilliant. 

Reading the Jeffrey Toobin book now (it was titled 'The Run of his Life' but they've rebadged it with the show title), and it's fantastic. 10% in and it's already covered the murder scene and investigation, Nicole's back story in detail, OJ's early life and why LA cops are so racist (which is a jaw-dropping story of bureaucratic quangos I wasn't aware of) and all sorts of other stuff. 

You can see Toobin trying to squeeze in some salacious, purple prose but there are so many facts to pack in, he doesn't get the opportunity. Heartily recommended to anyone who enjoyed the show. Like the show, if you wrote it as fiction no-one would swallow it. 

• 2 months later...

For anyone who enjoyed this, I would thoroughly recommend ESPN's five part documentary series, O.J. Simpson - Made in America. It's one of the best documentaries I've seen on any topic, it goes way beyond just the trial, not just in terms of what happened to OJ after being acquitted, but also a very detailed look in to America's history of racism and also the corruption within the LAPD.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

They're really getting ahead of themselves on this. Already planning the fourth story. This one is the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal. They're already meeting actresses to play Lewinsky and Linda Tripp even though the two other seasons are in production.

And because Murphy apparently thinks doing the next American Horror Story (with 2 more to follow) and 3 seasons of American Crime Story isn't enough work, he's got a third anthology series coming, Feud. The first season, Bette and Joan, focusing on Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.