IGNORED

Owzzat? Anyone play cricket games? Discuss them here

Death Adder

I've had Ashes 2009 on PS3 for some six years now, and while it's fun, it's also a bit easy.  I usually get myself out by slashing at bad deliveries when my run rate is in danger of dipping below 17 or 18.  That's in a test match!

I know there are several later cricket games on PS3, and also the Don Bradman games on current generation consoles.  Has anyone played them, and would you be good enough to recommend one?

Also use this thread for discussing past cricket games.  I started out with International Super Cricket (or something) on the SNES, and it was brilliant.  You couldn't square cut very well, and it didn't have real players, but it was great fun.  Brian Lara on the Megadrive had more realistic bowling, but batting wasn't much fun - I rarely got the ball past silly-mid-off.

I've also played the two PSP games and Brian Lara on PlayStation.

This is the real daddy - Graham Gooch's World Class Cricket on the Amiga.

125743.jpg

Years later Codemasters remade it, obviously with pretty varying results.

I really liked Ashe 2009 and the follow-up, International Cricket 2010, too. The last EA game was pretty good as well, there was a good community on Planet Cricket for it.

As for Don Bradman, I've got it on PC and will be buying this year's release when it's out, too. It's very accomplished but the not without its faults. The commentary, for example, is atrocious, but the career mode is good, there's an extensive editing suite, it looks nice enough, there are various cameras (including inside the helmet) and it has DRS, which is a nice touch.

Other issues are that if you're a bowler, you never feel like you earn a wicket; Ashes 2009 had a system in place where if you bowled 3 perfect deliveries in a row in the same area, you had a chance of 'tricking' the AI on the next delivery (so if you bowled 3 perfect outswingers, you could potentially bowl a perfect inswinger on the 4th ball and get a bowled or LBW). No such thing exists in Don Bradman, it feels at times that the AI decides it is time to lose a wicket and will throw it away. There's also a lack of edges, playing and missing (the AI either connects or misses by miles, no real close-shaves), the weather and pitch condition doesn't seem to make much difference and nor the player skills.

That sounds like a big list of negatives but that's only because it has a massive amount of potential, hence why I will buy the next instalment without hesitation.

I spent hours on Brian Lara Cricket on the Playstation. Looking back I don't think it was that good. I also remember importing Cricket 2004 on the PS2 from Australia as for some reason EA decided to hold back the UK release by 6 months to coincide with the UK summer. Again not that good. I keep on being tempted to buy Don Bradman cricket. It's expensive and to be honest I don't have the time to give it justice. Has anyone here played it extensively? Thoughts?

Big Cup Cricket was a lot of fun iOS. 

Thanks for the impressions on Don Bradman.  It looks from the reviews I've read to be more simulation than arcade, so gone are the first overs that can be whacked for over twenty runs.

It's a pity about the commentary - one of the best things about Brian Lara on PS and especially Ashes 2009 is the excellent commentary.  In particular the latter has great information, not so much on what you are doing in the game but when Agnew asks the late Tony Grieg to name his all-time greatest eleven, or his thoughts on reverse swing, or asks Ian Bishop what goes through a bowler's mind when he's just been hit for six.

I'll post some thoughts about Don Bradman when mine arrives, and similar with Freddie Flintoff on DS although is is meant to be garbage.

Anyone played the Cricket Captain games?

11 hours ago, Marius said:

Thanks for the impressions on Don Bradman.  It looks from the reviews I've read to be more simulation than arcade, so gone are the first overs that can be whacked for over twenty runs.

It's a pity about the commentary - one of the best things about Brian Lara on PS and especially Ashes 2009 is the excellent commentary.  In particular the latter has great information, not so much on what you are doing in the game but when Agnew asks the late Tony Grieg to name his all-time greatest eleven, or his thoughts on reverse swing, or asks Ian Bishop what goes through a bowler's mind when he's just been hit for six.

I'll post some thoughts about Don Bradman when mine arrives, and similar with Freddie Flintoff on DS although is is meant to be garbage.

The Cricket Captain games are great fun, I have spent many long evenings guiding Lancashire to the County Championship before taking over as England captain and being destroyed by the Aussies.

They work on basically any PC as well as they are hardly the most demanding games.

Good to know.  I've only played the PSP Cricket Captain game, and enjoyed it, but I fancy playing one on my TV (so a PC one will do).

When I played it I was quite good at the long matches, when run rates didn't really matter.  I always invested in bowlers as the overseas players, and then just let my batsmen slowly accumulate the runs.  In limited overs games it was a different matter - if I got them to bat aggressively they'd just hole out and if I didn't, they'd just inch their way along, not getting anywhere near the required run rate.

I do love the drama, though, when you're fielding, and have it set to show highlights only, and then it shows you a ball.  The anticipation of seeing if you'll get a wicket and then the disappointment of a dropped catch, or the highlight in fact being a good shot, is excellent.

23 hours ago, Marius said:

Totally with you on the commentary - hearing little anecdotes from made Ashes 2009 and International Cricket 2010 feel just like watching Sky's coverage and really helped to immerse me in the games. The fact that you had different commentators (I think based on who you were playing against?) meant you could play an Ashes series with Shane Warne, then hear Ian Bishop's thoughts when playing versus India, or Bumble when playing New Zealand.

What I would give to get Michael Holding's dulcet tones on commentary :wub:

I've played quite a bit of the Don Bradman game now, and I'm impressed for the most part.

The commentary isn't as good as it is in Ashes 2009, although part of that is that the commentators are unfamiliar to me.

There are the usual quick play modes, where you can jump into a one-off match or a series between countries.  I haven't tried those yet, but I assume you control all the players in those modes.

So far for me it has been all about the career mode, which is a bit like the "be a pro" mode from FIFA games.  You create a 16-year-old player, attach him to a county and hopefully he makes his way up to captain his country, over a twenty-year career.  This mode isn't for people who like a quick play here and there.

I chose Gloucestershire, who are the worst county.  As soon as I installed the game, it prompted me to download updated player lists.  There are many name-lists online, so I downloaded the highest-rated ones.  I'm not up to date with county cricket, but Essex had Panesar turn out for them, which I think is correct.

You can also choose what type of player you want your starlet to be.  I choose to be a batting all-rounder (a batsman who can bowl a bit).  For the bowling, I decided to be a fast bowler, as I found the spin practice I did in the nets a bit tiring - you have to rotate the stick up to three times to put spin on a delivery.

Compared to earlier cricket games, you don't have much control over where you pitch the ball.  You can choose a full length, a good length, or a bouncer from the buttons, then you run in, and the left stick controls swing.  The right button is moved back for your jump and then forwards again to release the ball.  It's possible that varying when you release it might change where the ball pitches, but I haven't noticed any difference.  Hold L1 for a slower ball, and R1 for a faster ball.

In four games so far, I've only taken two wickets, both caught.  At times I've been hit all over the ground.  At the end of most overs, it will tell me that my stats are improving - it might say inswing + 1, slower ball +2, or seam skill +1.  I hope that as my stats reach higher levels (I haven't yet seen how I can check them), it will become easier to get batsmen out, as so far it has been a bit demoralising, and I've actually groaned aloud when, towards the end of a tight one-dayer, I was brought on to bowl again.

When your character isn't doing anything, you can skip to the next time you are called on (fielding can be avoided this way).  This takes the form of watching the batting scorecard update at lightning speed.  Receiving balls thrown to you at the bowlers end is very easy to do, as is throwing it to the wicket keeper.

Batting is also much harder than it was in Ashes 2009.  In Ashes 2009, you can see where the ball was going to pitch and the direction of swing as soon as the bowler started his run-up.  It was therefore a doddle to work out your footwork, aim, and hit the ball to the boundary every time.  In this game the default camera is behind the batsman, and there's very little time to decide where it will pitch and the best direction to hit it.  If there's no fielder at long on and long off (11 o'clock and 1 o'clock from the batsman) I usually just assume it's going to be full, so I get forward and try to loft it over the bowler for a six.  This works at first, and I can usually rack up 40 odd quite quickly, and I just ignore the shorter balls hitting me.  Once there is a fielder there, I play for singles through extra cover or midwicket, until I get impatient and get myself out.  That said, two of the six times I've been out have been edging a spinner to the slips.  My front foot stats improve after each good shot in the same way that the bowling ones did.  Once you're out, it's quite fun watching the accelerated updates on the scorecard, hoping that your tailenders can hold on and get the runs you need.

Each match affords you experience points, and you get a few more for a good bouncer, hitting the sightscreen with a six, making fifty, a fifty partnership, making a 100 or taking 5 wickets (no chance).

I assume the latest standings in the county championships are available to see somewhere, but they're well hidden.  My stats I've seen - batting average is OK thanks to the slog I do at first as described above.  Bowling strike rate and average are terrible.  You can also see your selection status for international matches - mine is so far all at "no chance".

The crowd look a bit better than they did in Ashes 2009, although there aren't many people turning up to watch Gloucestershire.  The batsmen and bowlers look and are animated quite a bit better.  I particularly like looking around in the first person view to see where the fielders are, and when I get a 50, or I'm out.

It looks like getting through a 20-year career will take most of the rest of this year.  I'm looking forward to it.

Played a couple of the Brian Lara / Ashes games on 360. Proudest achievement was bowling out the USA's ODI team for 0. Found them similar to the Tiger Woods games in that they were perfect for relaxing with, usually with a movie or podcast on in the background. 

Used to be a great little cricket game on Sky Sports' website, That's Not Cricket or something - featured wild animals as players and was a limited overs game. Became the go-to office distraction for about three solid months.

There was a game called Cricket 15 that was supposed to come out last year that I completely forgot about until seeing this thread. I wonder what happened to it.

Edit: Oh it appears this is the same thing as the Don Brandman game? I think?

I thought Don Bradman was the sequel to Don Bradman 14.

I hope future ones being released means that the earlier versions drop in price a bit.  Still 40 smackers on Amazon.

I managed to take three wickets last night against Lancashire, over two innings.  I never feel like I earn the wickets, more that the batsman just hits it to a fielder, even though it was no different from countless previous deliveries.  However, the third wicket was a cleaned bowled, which was satisfying.  It doesn't seem to be any easier to bowl to tailenders than the top order.

Unfortunately I was out for 16, and only batted once, as we won by six wickets.  Next up is a one-dayer against the Netherlands.

Have had DM14 on my Steam Wishlist since it came out but has never been on sale. It was always £35 but have just noticed it's now £25.

Worth getting then?

I quite fancy a decent cricket game and really like the idea of the 'Be A Pro' mode as I always liked this in FIFA.