IGNORED

Owzzat? Anyone play cricket games? Discuss them here

Death Adder

I retired (well, deleted) my first character.  As an all-rounder, each match was taking an age to get through.  I created a new one, who opens at number two.

I'm still finding it impossible to get onto the back foot and bat well.  I can still hit things with a straight bat, but hitting the balls with square is beyond me.

Also, I can see why Robin Smith used to dread facing spinners.

Post how you get on, marillion Col.  I'd like to read other people's impressions.

Just had my first game for Lancs. Batting at 6 and bowling Fast-Medium.

Playing on Amateur I was out for a duck in the 1st innings (4 balls) but then blasted 72 off approx 30 in the 2nd innings. Tempted to up the difficulty level already!

Bowling was a pretty poor show but didn't really know what I was doing. Loads of deliveries went way wide.

My son has claimed use of the PC now but I'll try and get another game in later.

Might do what Marius has done and create a batting only character as the match went on for a while due to my inept bowling.

Does anyone know whether, if you skip parts of the game when you're in the field, that you still get random calls to make a catch or does it just skip everything until your next over?

Not played a cricket game for a good few years (since rhe Brian Lara games) but this one does seem an improvement after approx 90mins play.

This thread finally made me go out and buy Don Bradman. Purchased the xbox one version off eBay for £25 which compared to everywhere else seemed good value. 

I'm struggling with the bowling, but the batting has clicked. You need to think as you would if you actually were batting in real life, in other words body position is really important.

10 hours ago, marillion Col said:

Just had my first game for Lancs. Batting at 6 and bowling Fast-Medium.

Playing on Amateur I was out for a duck in the 1st innings (4 balls) but then blasted 72 off approx 30 in the 2nd innings. Tempted to up the difficulty level already!

Bowling was a pretty poor show but didn't really know what I was doing. Loads of deliveries went way wide.

My son has claimed use of the PC now but I'll try and get another game in later.

Might do what Marius has done and create a batting only character as the match went on for a while due to my inept bowling.

Does anyone know whether, if you skip parts of the game when you're in the field, that you still get random calls to make a catch or does it just skip everything until your next over?

Not played a cricket game for a good few years (since rhe Brian Lara games) but this one does seem an improvement after approx 90mins play.

If you skip to your next over when you're in the field, you don't have to do any fielding - it skips everything.

Were most of those 72 runs hit back over the bowler's head, by any chance?  That's where most of mine come from.  I do that for a few overs, to keep my average up, then I try to bat properly, so I get my bat foot, mid on and mid off skills up.  Spinners I just block every ball at the moment.

I have every sympathy for those finding the bowling difficult.  The only thing that worked for me was a slower-ball bowled with the triangle button, swinging in to the batsman.  That only worked in that they tended to block it, rather than belt it.  Everything else was in danger in being smacked to the boundary, and I felt that I fluked, rather than earned wickets.  I was horrified when my opening batsman was brought on to bowl last night, so being a batsman doesn't rule it out completely.  I did get one man caught in the slips, though.

Most of those runs were scored hitting to a vacant long on as there was never anyone in that area.

Am playing with the Steam controller and haven't read the game manual, just gone through the tutorials but I think I've worked the bowling a bit now. Think my wides were due to not pushing forward straight in the delivery, so I'm finding myself pushing slightly to the off side now.

Played a 40 over game last night. Scored 12 off 7 when I edged one to the keeper. Bowling was much better but still no wicket.

2 hours ago, Marius said:

I'll try altering what I do with the right stick with my bowling.  I thought my wides were a combination of bowling around the wicket and swinging it across a left-handed batsman.

I didn't get to play it last night so don't know if I'm right regarding the bowling. Let me know once you've tried it as I might be completely wrong.

Thought I'd pop into this thread as I'm an Indie making a cricket themed puzzle game for iOS and Android called T20 Card Cricket. I'm trying to release it in the English summer of cricket (unfortunately I missed getting it done for T20 World Cup).

I actually started it 6 years ago and canned it after a year when my programmer was not really committed. Then in Dec 2014 my CTO at work thought it was worth finishing and suggested I get back into gamedev, so I stripped it down, redesigned it into a much simpler and better game.

I've got a pretty decent prototype that is maybe a couple of milestones away from alpha and we're starting to drop decent graphics into it. Once we're ready to move onto a proper testing platform (TestFlight?), DM me if anyone wants to help test it out?

It's quite an abstract version of the sport. You match cards to score runs and you create a batsman to play a career with attempting various challenges (rather than a traditional cricket game of X overs). No bowling, no field placings, just score lots of runs and lots of tons.

I'm still getting some proper screenshots together (I still have a lot of placeholder sprites and backgrounds) but here's a render of some 3d characters I'm using to create the sprites. The prototype mockup jpg is using a background from a game called Tabletop Cricket made by BigAnt studios -- it's mostly to give me a target/inspiration to aim at. Obviously it won't be used in the final game (the green character is mine, the yellow ones are theirs).

Edit: the extra space on the screenshot is so that it can respond to different ratio mobile and tablet devices. The actual game is more tightly framed.

T20CC-ALL_India.jpg

T20CC-ALL_WestIndies-v02.jpg

Render-Batsman-SA-Caucasian-v2.jpg

T20CC-Proto-Mockup.jpg

Edited by Jonathan_Kerr

Yeah, sign me up when the time comes!

I'm also interested in this Don Bradman thing. My problem with similar games has always come to be how formulaic they end up feeling, like certain shots or balls are the only important ones, edges feel totally random if they happen at all, that kind of thing. How's this doing for that?

Bradman is actually pretty good for making a number of shots viable, it's the AI field placings which could use a little work. But you can score all around the ground and work to find gaps and because batting is about picking the line and length, every ball can be a challenge.

As for edges, they barely exist for the AI but you do get them as a player (though they are usually pretty big edges.) I remember going back to EA Cricket 07 (which was pretty good with mods) and getting edges right was a big thing. I'd say Bradman definitely needs work in this area still.

Cheers. I think there was a Steam demo, I should just give it a go really. Edges must be pretty hard to do in a game, such a relatively tiny area of pixels and you have to make it feel natural and fair to the player.

I'd be delighted to help test that cricket game, J_K.

I did a few batting sessions in the net last night and tried to hit as many as I could to square or square leg, but my reaction times are still too slow.  By the time I have realised that it's going down the leg side, it's too late, as I have already committed to a different shot.  At least it does add a bit of realism, as real batsmen have almost no reaction time against fast bowlers.

I completely forgot that I was going to experiment with bowling.  Might do that tonight.

The realism of this game is much better than PS3 cricket games.  With Ashes 2009, I was disappointed if I hadn't finished a test match by lunch time on the first day if I was batting second.  Also, the computer players don't run themselves out as ludicrously as they did in 2009.

Slowly, and I do mean slowly, I'm getting the hand of playing spin in Don Bradman. Admittedly my player is an opening bat, so I rarely last long enough to face much spin. However, what I realised is that I was playing shots way too early and thus getting myself out. Essentially, you have a lot of time, so wait, get in position, wait some more, and then play your shot once the ball has arrived.

Also, smashed a century off 23 balls in a County match.

On 15 March 2016 at 3:17 PM, marillion Col said:

I didn't get to play it last night so don't know if I'm right regarding the bowling. Let me know once you've tried it as I might be completely wrong.

You were right.  I tried putting the stick at an angle when I released the delivery and it flew for five wides (one for being wide and four for going to the boundary).

A few others were not so spectacular but didn't help me take wickets.

I was pissed off at being asked to bowl anyway, as I thought I had created a non-bowler.  Still, my batting is getting better.  Even though it's cheap runs, I resist sixes over the bowler's head now.  Instead I try to work the ball past mid on.  He usually fields it but if it passes him, it's usually four.  I've also tickled a few to fine leg, which gave more pleasure than the slogged sixes I used to start with.

One problem with career mode is that I couldn't give a toss how well my county (Derbyshire) are doing, as long as I do well, to improve my chances of better things in future.

Just a question to those playing games that allow bowling -- do you actually enjoy it? I'm a bowler (in real life) but it feels that most cricket games capture batting much better than bowling. Perhaps because it's difficult to capture the ability to 'plan' a dismissal over several deliveries or set traps with careful field placings? Or maybe the intimidation factor of pace bowling is hard to implement?

I made a conscious choice to leave bowling out of my game so I'm anticipating people saying 'why can't I bowl?' How do you feel about it?

Here's a promo shot I made as I was testing the textures on the characters.  Please let me know if I'm spamming this thread with my sh1t and I'll stop.

T20CC-Splash.jpg

Just a question to those playing games that allow bowling -- do you actually enjoy it? I'm a bowler (in real life) but it feels that most cricket games capture batting much better than bowling. Perhaps because it's difficult to capture the ability to 'plan' a dismissal over several deliveries or set traps with careful field placings? Or maybe the intimidation factor of pace bowling is hard to implement?

I made a conscious choice to leave bowling out of my game so I'm anticipating people saying 'why can't I bowl?' How do you feel about it?

Here's a promo shot I made as I was testing the textures on the characters.  Please let me know if I'm spamming this thread with my sh1t and I'll stop.

I don't really enjoy bowling in games - I consider it something I have to get out of the way in order to get to the batting.  I enjoyed bowling when I played International Superstar Cricket on the SNES against a friend, but now I only ever play against the computer and don't really feel that I am building up the pressure on the batsman to score or beating him with an unexpected peach of a delivery.  I only did the bowling in Ashes 09 to get the trophies, and then it was far too easy.  In Don Bradman it's very hard, and I am always surprised when I get a wicket, and expect each delivery to be smacked to the boundary.

So I would be quite happy to play a game that was just batting, and I think people wouldn't be disappointed not to bowl as long as it was made obvious that that how the game was going to be.  Your promo shot implies that it is batting with all batsmen, so I think you'll be fine.  As I said earlier, I'd love to test it.

Don't worry about spamming - this thread looks like it is going to build up slowly, like a Boycott innings, so I will enjoy hearing about your game, and I'd love to help test it, as I said.

I wonder if it's possible to be a wicket-keeper in Don Bradman.  I haven't tried that yet.  I don't suppose it's much fun.

• 6 months later...

Hi all, I'm just about at alpha - likely to be doing a closed alpha test about next week so if you like cricket and you like cricket games, drop me a PM with the address you use for your iTunes or Google Play acct and i'll add you to the list. 

You can view the game on the non public site here: www.t20cardcricket.gameflint.com

Edited by Jonathan_Kerr
Fixed the link to my site.

• 2 months later...
34 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Don Bradman 17 is out on Friday. Bowling's been improved. Graphics updated. £50 price tag. More of the same by the sounds of things. It's enhanced for PS4 Pro apparently. I've pre-ordered. The original was a surprisingly good chill out game.

£41 at Simply Games

http://www.simplygames.com/p/don-bradman-cricket-17-ps4

On 10/4/2016 at 00:35, Jonathan_Kerr said:

Hi all, I'm just about at alpha - likely to be doing a closed alpha test about next week so if you like cricket and you like cricket games, drop me a PM with the address you use for your iTunes or Google Play acct and i'll add you to the list. 

You can view the game on the non public site here: www.t20cardcricket.gameflint.com

How is this coming along, still on the cards for a release this month?

13 hours ago, gospvg said:

How is this coming along, still on the cards for a release this month?

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately no, not this month. Contract talks with investors is currently ongoing. 

While the interest is good, I'm spending a lot of time talking to lawyers instead of working on the game. The upside is that a license may be attached. I'm pretty much learning about licensing law and IP law as I go.

I can't get into specifics for legal reasons but basically legal talks has slowed development down by a couple of months. :-/