Owzzat? Anyone play cricket games? Discuss them here

Death Adder

16 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Not at all. They added an easy mode. So you can simply use button presses like all cricket games prior to the Don bradman games. It's good for bowling, but makes batting a bit tedious.

Right.  I'm interested if the bowling has changed.  Although, as with real cricket, the batting is by far and away the best bit.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, smelly bastard said:

I've picked up a rather nice-conditioned SNES International Cricket.  Hope it plays on the SupaBoy (portable SuperFamicom / SNES).

That's still hands down the best cricket game out there.

Am i buying this for £20 then?

Got Donald Bradman... 14? On the PS4, think it’s good, barely played it because of other games. 

The bugs concern me, have they patched it?

Extra special Christmas Day this year, where you stay up all night and watch the Boxing Day Test as well.

I won't have time to play it until January, but I've had enough of Don Bradman for a while - I always end up just smacking it back over the bowler's head for a quick fire innings, until I'm out.  Hopefully Ashes will make me play it a bit differently.  The Don Bradman games took ages to drop in price, so I picked this up.   Tried to buy it second-hand on here for 28 quid a few days ago - fortunately, as it happens, I missed out.

On 23/12/2017 at 18:57, Chow said:

That's still hands down the best cricket game out there.

*Ahem* ;)

Thought I'd do a plug for the cricket game I created for iOS and Android.

IOS App store

Google Play Store

It's called T20 Card Cricket, and it's a blend of memory card-matching and cricket. Match identical cards to score runs and avoid Howzat cards as you tackle 270 challenges to become the best batsman of all time.

It's not a pure cricket game but good for the daily commute or if you just can't watch another batting collapse/your team getting flogged around the park.

ps - not optimised for iPhone X which came out right as we were about to release. We’ll fix it in an update in the New Year.

Edited by Jonathan_Kerr
Fixed the links, iPhone X comment

On 12/23/2017 at 15:09, Kramer said:

Am i buying this for £20 then?

Got Donald Bradman... 14? On the PS4, think it’s good, barely played it because of other games. 

The bugs concern me, have they patched it?

Extra special Christmas Day this year, where you stay up all night and watch the Boxing Day Test as well.

A lot of the bugs from DBC 14 are still in the latest games. These are not current gen games and it's a bit of a disgrace that they are fleecing cricket fans just because there isn't really another alternative.

I'm enjoying it but there are some massive bugs. Playing the first ashes test I had Starc caught off an edge in the slips. He was given out but the after the walk off animation he was still there next ball. Thankfully I splattered his stumps a few balls later.

2 hours ago, smelly bastard said:

That sounds crap.  Bowling bugs don't really bother me, though - I see these games as batting games, although the fielding catching mini-game sounds fun.

How were cricket games in the PS2 days?  I've only had JP PS2s, so I've never played a cricket game from that gen.

Then you'll love the "You just got a century, now the next ball won't load and you'll have to manually restart the game and lose that entire innings" bug. Or the "Haha, you're taking your guard at the wrong set of stumps and can only watch as the bowler takes aim at your wide open wickets. What a story!" bug. Or the "Hahahaha, you're trying to get an easy single but now I'll just saunter in and now you're run out!" bug.

3 hours ago, smelly bastard said:

That sounds crap.  Bowling bugs don't really bother me, though - I see these games as batting games, although the fielding catching mini-game sounds fun.

How were cricket games in the PS2 days?  I've only had JP PS2s, so I've never played a cricket game from that gen.

Cricket games used to be much more arcadey and didn't generally provide one of the best things about the DB series - which is stats, lots of lovely stats. The Brian Lara games were good though, just different.

Going much further back, the Graham Gooch game on the Amiga was good and, even further back was a game I spent loads of time on (I think I played a full Test series against each nation, writing down all the results and stuff) - International Cricket on the Spectrum, which was a free cover game on Your Sinclair.

@Chow What system are you playing on?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rubbish at International Super Cricket on SNES now.  Always used to rack up about thirty runs in the first over, with the glance down leg side shot.

I absolutely love appealing like there's no tomorrow, when I'm fielding.  Watching the whole team jump up never gets old.  And it's still much better than the appealing noises on the PS4 games.

On 27/12/2017 at 21:07, Gabe said:

Cricket games used to be much more arcadey and didn't generally provide one of the best things about the DB series - which is stats, lots of lovely stats. The Brian Lara games were good though, just different.

Going much further back, the Graham Gooch game on the Amiga was good and, even further back was a game I spent loads of time on (I think I played a full Test series against each nation, writing down all the results and stuff) - International Cricket on the Spectrum, which was a free cover game on Your Sinclair.

@Chow What system are you playing on?

This is a very good point - the cummulative stats about my career are absolutely excellent.  I love seeing my averages and strike rates in the different forms of the game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
4 hours ago, boybrown said:

Don't go near Big Bash Boom on switch its fucking dire. I got it for about £19 on the south african store. Worst money i've spent on a switch game.

Absolute tripe.

I read that it was bad. Crushingly disappointing considering cricket games are so few and far between. Made all the worse as I think it’s a good concept.

Despite their bugs, they are a lot of fun, and there's a lot of play involved.  I've been playing Don Bradman for a couple of years, and career mode is a serious time investment if you play all the games in the seasons.  And that's just skipping the bowling and indeed my teammates' batting.  If you play as an all-rounder, it probably takes even longer.