Owzzat? Anyone play cricket games? Discuss them here

Death Adder

11 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

It wasn't that the commentators themselves (I like Michael Slater), it was the complete nonsense they spouted. 

Nah, their delivery was horrible. James Taylor was horrible and stilted, Slater sounded overexcited and Mel Jones - whilst probably sounding the most naturally flowing - just didn't get anything interesting to say.

35 minutes ago, Death Adder said:

Yes, Golding's thoughts on what goes through a bowler's mind after he's just been hit for six, Warner's musings on the hook shot and Greig's thoughtful picking his all-time 11 were excellent and really added to the experience.  Even the PS1 Brian Lara had some funny snippets from Aggers and Boycott.  The commentary on Big Ant games has just been unbelievable in its crapness.

Exactly. The actual cricket from Big Ant is actually very good - but the presentation is pap. Both the Codemasters games had good commentary teams and they did have that wonderful conversational style about them at times, it's a shame that series ended, as that played a good game too. I remember it let you set-up the opposition batsmen, where if you bowled three perfect balls of the same delivery in a row (i.e. three outswingers), you could then bowl an inswinger and catch the AI out (depending on their skill, of course). The Big Ant games have never had that, the AI just treats each ball in isolation so you can't try and be clever like that. I hope they've addressed that too.

Also - I hope they sort the weather out. In the hundreds of hours I've played across various Big Ant games (starting back with Don Bradman '14), I've never yet had a rain delay and I want one, damnit! :D They also need to provide more stats, given that cricket is as much about that as it is what happens on the pitch.

This might be the first game I've paid full price for in years, I shall be keeping an eye out on Steam for in, seems pre-orders will go live in the next week or so.

32 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Nah, their delivery was horrible. James Taylor was horrible and stilted, Slater sounded overexcited and Mel Jones - whilst probably sounding the most naturally flowing - just didn't get anything interesting to say.

You think they'll fix that?

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

You think they'll fix that?

I'm rather naively thinking that Gower and Atherton might bring something to the table, yes. If nothing else they have much more experience than James Taylor in commentary (I realise doing soundbites for a game is completely different, but they have long broadcasting experience to tap in to.)

The commentary has been criticised for years on their forums and Planetcricket - which seems to have be the main unofficial forum for all cricket games - so I'm hoping they have taken that feedback onboard and yes, perhaps it might actually be good now? 

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

I'm rather naively thinking that Gower and Atherton might bring something to the table, yes. If nothing else they have much more experience than James Taylor in commentary (I realise doing soundbites for a game is completely different, but they have long broadcasting experience to tap in to.)

The commentary has been criticised for years on their forums and Planetcricket - which seems to have be the main unofficial forum for all cricket games - so I'm hoping they have taken that feedback onboard and yes, perhaps it might actually be good now? 

I like the optimism.

It probably isn't the fault of the actual commentators themselves, but they were inaccurate in their description (frequently describing sixes as "played nicely along the ground" for example), didn't have much variety in what they said, and had infuriating pauses almost every word when they're giving the score and far too often the rest of the time.  England...are...three....for...one...hundred...and....thirty....one.

• 1 month later...

That's...not what I'm looking for in a cricket game :blink:

Mini-games to boost stats (given that the stats have never seemingly had much impact in the actual matches) is just, no. And I'm not sure how all the life-stuff is going to do anything to impact anything important.

Are you able to focus on just one format? I'm not a big fan of T20 or ODIs so I'd like to focus purely on the County Championship and (ultimately) Test matches - but previously you had to either let the AI play (and ruin your stats) or play everything, which massively extends the playtime for bits I'm not all that interested in (and, again: I don't to mess with my stats).

Indeed, there is plenty that needs improving in the game.  Graphics, commentary, smoothness for starters.  Talking to the press and farting around in the gym is not playing cricket.  The last fomula one game I played really pissed me off with the interviewer coming up to me and asking questions from a tiny list of them after qualifying and racing.

I'll still buy it though - probably double-dipping on Bone / PS and Switch.  Hope Switch gets a physical game this time.

It's weird, because I'm pretty sure no fans of the previous games were asking this now when, as you say, there are many other things that need fixing/some polish. It's just so out of place and you just know that because those elements exist, they *will* be forced upon you and you won't be able to ignore them.

I don't think I've ever played a career mode on any sports game that doesn't become horribly unbalanced all too quickly, rendering continuing on largely pointless if that's why you were playing (my reference here is the old Tiger Woods career modes, where you could buy all the best equipment either in your first season or not long after, IIRC.)

I suppose the idea is that the more new stuff there is, the more likely people are to upgrade from a previous version.  Career mode in these games is a big time sink, and it's likely that some people (I'm one) are still in the middle of the first career they ever started in Cricket 19.

That said, the additions are annoying rather than interesting to me.  I miss the old days of F1 games which didn't have practice sessions before each race.  Now you have to do them or fall behind.  Hope the same doesn't happen with shitty weight training mini games here.  Just let me bat, for fuck's sake.

15 hours ago, Death Adder said:

I suppose the idea is that the more new stuff there is, the more likely people are to upgrade from a previous version.  Career mode in these games is a big time sink, and it's likely that some people (I'm one) are still in the middle of the first career they ever started in Cricket 19.

That said, the additions are annoying rather than interesting to me.  I miss the old days of F1 games which didn't have practice sessions before each race.  Now you have to do them or fall behind.  Hope the same doesn't happen with shitty weight training mini games here.  Just let me bat, for fuck's sake.

Yeah, this is my concern too.

7 hours ago, Gabe said:

Yeah, this is my concern too.

I'd assume it depends if you start with a made up player or with an established international cricketer. The previous games gave you additional points to spend upping the stats of your career mode player, which was somewhat pointless if you'd already started with David Warner like I had.

24 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Has this been delayed? Simplygames have it down as being released on the 2nd December. I thought it was out this month?

I read somewhere it was slightly delayed because of the Australian captain's currently tribulations.

3 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

I'd assume it depends if you start with a made up player or with an established international cricketer. The previous games gave you additional points to spend upping the stats of your career mode player, which was somewhat pointless if you'd already started with David Warner like I had.

True, but even starting from scratch with your own player it's hard to feel that the stats make much difference in actual gameplay: As a nobody at the start with zero skills I could still smash the ball around with ease - and now my career player is skilled-up, does it feel any different/better? No. Perhaps the timing windows have moved a tiny fraction but I can't really say.

I do accept its always hard to balance stat improvements when, ultimately, success still comes down to real-life skill.