Good D&D Starter Resource

Hey Guys

At the ripe old age of 26 myself and a few mates have decided to give Dungeons and Dragons a try again, having not played since we were teenagers. I've bought a starter kit and am reading through that when  I can but it doesn't quite label things as laymens terms as I'd like. Are there any good online resources to learn the systems/rules? I currently have nothing on at work and feel this would be an excellent use of my time. 

Cheers!

I assume you are talking about the current (5th) edition. It is supposed to be very good. 

Try the official website: http://dnd.wizards.com/dungeons-and-dragons

read the official, free basic rules: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

ask questions on an rpg forum: https://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?89-Dungeons-amp-Dragons-Fantasy-D20-Spotlight

14 hours ago, dullhorse said:

You could spend $1 on the Pathfinder humble bundle which includes a PDF of their box set which is meant to be good (although the full pathfinder game is far too complex for me).

Alternatively, you could pay £3.50 to learn the way we did in the 80s with This

I am afraid I can't really recommend either approach. Pathfinder is a different game (albeit based on 3rd edition) but it is fairly complex for someone starting out. That bundle is good value for someone into pathfinder but probably overwhelming to someone who hasn't played it or 3rd. 

Mentzer edition basic is  good way to learn but it's an old version of the game and not where I would recommend starting today when 5e is well regarded and he already has that basic set. 

Dont nut we have a D&D thread somewhere?

I was recommending resources that are (or I have read are) good resources for learning how to play roleplaying games. Once you've got the basics down then it's much of a muchness about which particular variety of D&D you play (and pathfinder is just a variety of D&D relabelled for copyright reasons).

• 4 weeks later...

So watched a couple of bits linked to here and went on a few forums and on Friday had a very successful first game of D & D. Everyone really got involved and we had a great laugh. Can't reccomend the D&D 5 starter pack enough, it's excellent and gives a really good basic experience for those who don't have time to plan out a full campaign themselves.