rllmuk
Goose

Kim Justice Videos / Documentaries - Well worth a watch

On 12/02/2019 at 21:05, dave7g said:

The best of all are still Game Sack I think.

Thanks for the recommendation. Been caining their videos the last few weeks. Its very easy to sit and watch hours of their stuff. They remind me abit of Red Letter Media.

• Upvote 3

Watched the Elite one this morning.. Great little documentaries love the detail she goes into. Fond memories of playing this on the C64. Loved the docking computer music (think it was the Blue Danube IIRC also used in the 2001 Space Odyssey film. Being young with lots of time on my hands back then squandered many hours lost in Elite's universe. So far ahead of its time. Loved the diversity this offered and the purity of the game. I managed to get to Deadly on it and can't have been that far of Elite. The upgrade to military lasers was great. Actually enjoyed manually docking on this too... found it fairly easy but then used to play a fair few flight sims back then too. The docking computer was a bit rubbish on the C64 too and did occasionally kill you! :D 

Also played a fair bit of Frontier Elite 2 back in '93. I was at Uni at this point so again had a bit of time on my hands to sink into this. Great game... a whole universe on a 720k floppy disk! Had a fairly decent spec PC at the time so it ran really well. Remember picking this up at release day, opening up the map and thinking. Wow. :) Also seeing the 3D map in operation for the first time and texture filled graphics - oh and the ability to land on planets at space ports. Again so far ahead of its time with  it's the procedurally generated universe.

Still have Elite Dangerous to be played. Tried to get into it a number of years back but my network connection was a bit wonky at the time and found it frustrating being dropped out of the game all the time. (needs a good persistent network connection). Looks to be a great game may give it a try at some point again now that I have a better connection... although don't have as much time as I used too :D 

• Upvote 3

Another cracker from Kim. She really does a fanfuckintastic job on the documentaries she does. Some of the best retro stuff on the whole of Youtube if you ask me.

• Upvote 3

On 27/05/2019 at 15:26, Dudley said:

Blue Danube comes up again in the new Matthew Smith video of course.

That's a fairly sad story.

what is sad about blue danube?

I talked with him at some length at PlayExpo this year, and having made an agreement to work with him at Antstream, I am hoping that he will be around a bit in the future. 

In person he's a really nice guy and very friendly, which I am not sure if I was expecting - but I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting to be honest!

As I think Kim observes in that video, the version of him you see on stage - bewildered, struggling for words, defensive - is not how he comes across in person. In person he has a sharp wit and seemed to me to enjoy telling me stories about his youth (although avoiding the JSW days, which I didn't press him on , having heard him say his therapist advised against speaking about that period). 

Meeting him was a strange experience as he's always been a genuine hero of mine, but I think I'd only ever seen the famous 80s photo of him grinning like a loon while sitting in front of his computer. Like when I met another very different personal hero, Alan Moore, what most impressed me was that despite being conferred an almost godly celebrity status by a niche audience, he seemed very happy to stand around chatting and wasn't in a hurry to rush off and be adulated by more of.the masses. 

• Upvote 4

The wrestling ones had to be pulled in the end and she's having to be a lot more careful because of the copyright strikes.

Which is a damn shame.

7 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The wrestling ones had to be pulled in the end and she's having to be a lot more careful because of the copyright strikes.

Which is a damn shame.

Hopefully claims rather than strikes.

Given the sparsity of Kim’s replies I always wonder whether to address her in the 2nd or 3rd person here but come on Kim don’t pretend you don’t visit often, I mean how many other threads on just you could there be on the internet? Anyway you’re fucking wonderful and basically the voice and zeitgeist of my childhood. I particularly enjoy watching you at Christmas, when you’re now a regular fixture. It’s difficult to overstate the warmth in my chest I’d feel. I always find the shared sentiments interesting given you were a mega drive kid. I so would have had you as a SNES kid, you’ve a SNES kid demeanour for one.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Hopefully claims rather than strikes.

No, actual strikes, she talked about it on the Patreon. I'm sure she wouldn't mind me posting an extract.

As most of you probably know my Lesnar video already got taken down by NJPW, and now today the Misawa video has also been taken down - it seems to be by a Japanese lawfirm representing Sky Perfect TV. 

And so, I now have two copyright strikes on my account. These Japanese companies are a hell of a lot stricter about this sort of thing,