IGNORED

The Sinking City - Open World Lovecraft Investigation - 27/06/19

JPR

From Frogwares the developers of Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments, who where developing Call of Cthulhu but Cyanide are handling that now after Frogwares changed publisher.

“We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”

— H.P. Lovecraft, “The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories

The Sinking City is a game of investigation genre taking place in a fictional open world inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

The player incarnates a private investigator in 1920s, who finds himself in a city of New England, Oakmont Massachusetts. It’s currently suffering from extensive waterflood, and its cause is clearly supernatural. The city trembles on the brink of madness.

Can you investigate this beleaguered town and untangle the tragic extent of its failings or will you be driven beyond madness yourself?

Release Date: TBD

Source

screenshot_1920.jpg

L_4_R.jpg

L_16_1_R.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

This looks really good. Like LA Noire...

One slight flaw in that logic...

1545759384_LANoireGoodVenn.PNG.74162119dbdbc28ef9bc6a5f119fc225.PNG

More seriously, I'm moderately curious about this, as I am most games in the setting, but I'm not particularly hopeful, thanks to, well, the experience of most games in the setting.

• 1 year later...

I very nearly purchased this game in one of the latest sales. Shame, I hope the developers manage to get things sorted with a new publisher and the game reappears, sounds like Big Ben etc were a bunch of tossers.

2 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Ah bollocks, this was just in the Xbox sale. After enjoying my the decidedly ropey Call Of Cthulhu I was going to pick it up.

I bought it after finishing Call of Cthulhu when I noticed it on sale a while ago but haven't got around to starting it yet. Might rectify that this week. I love me some random Euro-jank horror. 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Made a dash to the Xbox and it was still there so I've bought it. 15 quid for the Necronomicon edition.

No offence, but aren't you just directing money to their apparently shithead ex-publishers here, and ensuring the devs don't get any money? Not sure that's a win.

5 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

No offence, but aren't you just directing money to their apparently shithead ex-publishers here, and ensuring the devs don't get any money? Not sure that's a win.

There's no altruism, it's an entirely selfish manoeuvre. I want to play it, I was going to buy it anyway, I bought it before I couldn't buy it due to it being removed.

Also I'm getting deja vu from this. Hasn't this happened before with Big Ben? It might even be Sinking City, I have vague recollection of Jim Sterling making a video about them or someone like them.

EDIT: no he got it wrong, he was talking about Focus and wrongly attributed them as the publisher of Sinking City.

Played and reviewed both at release. Sinking City is jankier than Call of Cthulhu but is a far more interesting and better game. Reminded me of the likes of Gothic and Risen jank-wise. I didn't have any motion sickness or headaches that I recall (was playing on PC). There are some hefty difficulty spikes if you go off the beaten path but the detecting is nicely done and you do get more powerful by the end. 

I thoroughly enjoyed Call of Cthulhu, so much in fact I got the Platinum (easy enough if you do not mind replaying the game over and over). Loved most bits of it :)

Hopefully I can get my hands on Sunken City for a price that's not full price.