rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Blu3Flame

Thumper

It's about time there was a thread for Thumper. It's a rhythm action game with a space beetle from ex Harmonix developers, coming to Steam, PS4/PSVR.

Check out the latest trailer!

• Upvote 5

Played it at EGX and thought it was amazing. Also, nothing at all like you may expect it to be. It's full of fear and foreboding dread. I can see how the immersion will be heighted with VR. Very high on my 'WANT' list!

Watched that trailer 3 times in a row, lights off, full screen, 60fps in my face. If I play this in VR I'll probably have a heart attack. And get this!! The artist and musician for this game is the bassist from Lighting Bolt! wwhooOOOARRGHHHH

• Upvote 1

Yes.  Absolutely all fucking over this. 

I can't believe they're managing to convince me to get a VR headset.  This and Rez Infinite both seem laser targeted to get me on board.  Surely my opinion doesn't hold that much weight.

That looks a bit too intense actually.

I feel like I've just come out of Super Hans party and need a cup of tea and a digestive.

• Upvote 2

Thumper has crept above Rez to the top of my ever decreasing list of reasons not to cancel my PSVR preorder. It'll definitely be the first thing I play and does a better job of scratching the Harmonix itch than the actual Harmonix VR title.

Hmm, might have been dreaming after watching a video of it.

Definitely reminds me of one of my favourite Atari games (well the beetle does anyway)

journey_escape_cart.jpg

• Upvote 1

This has crept right up my PSVR list - but, as a perpetual coward, I'm not sure what it means when the reviews all talk about it being terrifying?

Is it the sense of dread someone talked about above? That I can cope with.

I suppose it's really hard to imagine from the videos - I'm sure it's a totally different experience when you're 'inside' it.

I'm very keen, anyway. Although it's making me wonder if I let this scratch my rhythmic itch and hold fire on Rez for now.

1 hour ago, BubbleFish said:

Hmm, might have been dreaming after watching a video of it.

Definitely reminds me of one of my favourite Atari games (well the beetle does anyway)

journey_escape_cart.jpg

Oh my god that logo! :wub: 

I can't figure out how you play this at all. Will definitely give the demo a go, though.

It's $20 in the US apparently. Probably end up being £15 here.

12 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I can't figure out how you play this at all. Will definitely give the demo a go, though.

It's $20 in the US apparently. Probably end up being £15 here.

This video explains it.

But after a certain point, it became too difficult, too fast, with too few new ideas, and my enjoyment eroded. Part of that stems from the length because this is a surprisingly (and unnecessarily) long game. I found it to be at its best when I was just scraping by but still clearing most of the sequences on the first few tries -- approximately until stage six or seven of nine.

https://www.destructoid.com/review-thumper-391986.phtml

Mixed messages in this review. It's a long game and it gets too difficult too fast but it's okay for the first six or seven stages of the nine. Is that what he's saying?

Either way, that's an 8/10 and he wasn't even playing in VR.

I'd still recommend Thumper, though. Readily. But I would also advise not to get too wrapped up in fully finishing it.

Suits me, I've enjoyed plenty of games I haven't bothered to finish. Especially at hardware launches.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I bet he's just shit at music rhythm games. Lots of game reviewers don't seem to have the patience for trying and failing in order to improve.

• Downvote 1

Umm... they just announced this is actually out today!?! 

Edit: At 3PM PST apparently.

VR support announced for PC by the end of the year too.

24 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

£15.99 on PSN. So I presume the same for Steam.

It's not up on the PSN store yet, is it?  Or is the search just being rubbish as always.

It's not. I'm seeing that PSN EU won't have the game until the 13th though :(

The developer confirmed that price on Twitter.