IGNORED

Thumper

Blu3Flame

24 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

It's not. I'm seeing that PSN EU won't have the game until the 13th though :(

That does seem a bit harsh given the whole angle they've gone for of 'This is just something cool we wanted to do for people'. Not for us, evidently!

11 minutes ago, StephenM said:

That does seem a bit harsh given the whole angle they've gone for of 'This is just something cool we wanted to do for people'. Not for us, evidently!

We're sorry. We wanted it to be the same day, but it's out of our control.

That looks lovely, but what the hell is this IAm8Bit bullshit that means I just can't buy this stuff from Amazon and get it delivered for free?  They fucked up the Rez release as well, meaning I need to get the digital version now rather than having a nice physical disk. 

I got the digital soundtrack - it sounds good but I already have enough records I don't listen to. It seems to have different track titles to the two sample tracks on the iam8bit website, but both those tracks are in it ("Pulser" is called "Triangle" in the Steam download, and "Disk" is "Logo Revisit").

I hadn't heard of this game until this thread got bumped today but I am happy to trust the man from Lightning Bolt wholeheartedly with my money, even without knowing - as I didn't - that he's been working on high profile videogames for years.

The feel and fluidity are amazing, really imersive, the best part though is that there's really 2 layers to this game; survival and score. This naturaly lets the player dynamically shift their goal once they start to get overwhelmed and it's fricking brilliant! There's still consequences for not trying but yet you're experiencing all the content - much of which is at a higher level than you are.

Grabbed the Steam version and just played the first couple of levels and loved it. I'm a bit rubbish at it at the moment, so I'm taking a break to let my brain work out what just happened before going back later. The feel is spot on - a real rush, with you scraping and rattling round corners and smashing through barriers at a breakneck speed. I think what it gets so right is that when you're playing well it still feels like you're a surfing on the bleeding edge between success and disaster. A lot of games if you play them well actually feel less exciting because your skill removes the danger - here success is "rewarded" by smashing through stuff, or striking sparks as you somehow throw yourself around a tricky series of bends. Top stuff.

This is really pretty special isn't it. The fluidity, speed music and absolutely nightmarish acid-lashed visuals all folding and roiling in on themselves as you plunge ever deeper in the spiral is absolutely spectacular. I got the soundtrack too, as I tend to find I'm only any good at these sorts of things when I sort of know what's coming up - although of course you can't really rehearse off an OST because it's still a bit different.

My opinion counts for nothing obviously, but I totally recommend this.

I've just cleared the first two levels, and while I have no idea exactly how hard and demanding this game is going to get, thus far it feels completely fair; the only thing that ever gets me is a my own sense of complacency; you get taken through a really familiar beat (boom-boom-tsch, for instance) a few times, until you're flying it on automatic - then all of a sudden it drops another layer of complexity on you.

But you can see it coming if you look. It's a maddening juxtaposed feeling of simultaneously being lulled into something familiar, while at the same time it demands you sit there and be razor sharp to read changes coming up the path.

Ace.

Stage 5 of this was pure evil. The start caught me off guard, throwing a new mechanic at me that took me about ten attempts to beat, and it didn't let up from there. Finishing it left me wit ha mixture of relief and elation, and a sudden need for lie down.

I've just put an hour in, finishing the first level and getting to grips with it. I don't think I've ever played something so intense. The way it teaches you the mechanics of each obstacle then just chucks you straight into it just feels right, and the sense of speed cranks up sharply. Definitely a game where you need to be on point throughout as one silly little mistake and its all shot to shit.

Everything I hoped it would be and can't wait to dive in deeper tomorrow. So, so good :omg:

1 hour ago, Ersatz Nihilist said:

Especially as restarting from a checkpoint for any reason resets all your score multipliers.

Ahh, I was coming here to ask if there was a penalty for dying, as it didn't seem to affect my rank for the stage. That makes sense.

5 hours ago, Ersatz Nihilist said:

I've got to say though, as good as the game is, it's not evoking any sense of dread or fear in me at all. I get that the soundtrack is brooding, ominous and feels as though it's building to something constantly - but I'm just not feeling that aspect.

Yeah - not a bit of it from me either. Which is good because I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much, because I am a massive wuss. Very few games make me feel anything at all though. This one at least gives me a cracking buzz, but that's a long way removed from the existential dread that was promised. Maybe the existential dread is in a later level...

I definitely understand where reviewers are coming from with those descriptions, especially when playing with the lights down and the volume up, but only on a similar scale to attending a Sunn O))) show or watching Twin Peaks at 3am, etc. (i.e. because it's obviously a performance it can't ever really be horrific/damaging). Maybe games journalists don't really listen to Lightning Bolt, Wolf Eyes, Sunn O))) et al, so this kind of aesthetic is newly unsettling for them? Not that I mean that to be mocking: that kind of aesthetic is supposed to be unsettling, and that's why people listen to that kind of music, but if you are familiar with the concept of music/art working with that kind of idea then you can probably more easily let yourself sink into the game and enjoy it.

Or maybe they just get more page views when they say something intriguing about a game, who knows.

I think it's really beautifully done, in any case. It is very fun to push buttons in this game.

Just did stage 1.  Holy shit this is good!  I love how the audio queues work and let you basically see round corners!  So nice, good for getting me more in the zone whilst playing..  Gonna smoke a fatty* before I continue. 

*vape a bud

I too have just done stage 1. My goodness! Haven't really figured it all out I think (got an overall A still so I can't be that far off) but it's fun. I might be too old for this shit. Happy to try just for the sound 'n visuals!

Yeah, I got that. And similar for the jumpy bits I think (or you can hold up and then do a a the right time at least)? I seem to be a bit slow on the ol' d-pad when they come at the end of a combo still though. Not sure I've got the hang of the cues yet.

I've just stopped after an hour or so, half way through level 3.  It's so good when you zone out!! I had a bit of an annoying time at the last midboss, mainly due to my fingers not listening to my brain!  So will chill for a bit before returning later. 

It's instense as fuck, this music genre is alien to me so I'm finding it hard to spot the beats my part is playing; but love it when I suss the part of the tune I'm supposed to be contributing! :wub: