rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Capwn

Zootopia/Zootropolis

I'm sure there was a thread for this and so spent a while trying to find it using both zootopia (US name) and zootropolis (UK name) but there was nothing. Feel free to merge this if anyone finds it.

Watched this today, I was secretly hoping it would be as radical/edgy/funny as say TheLegoMovie. It's not that. However, it does have great storytelling and characters. I appreciated how it handled the social politics, when I read about it I was concerned it would be heavy handed but it was well done. It really is the perfect example of a 'kids movie' that is enjoyable for both children and grown ups. One thing I didn't really like was the inclusion of a character that was based on a popular pop star voiced by Shakira, there are two montage moments in the movie where she sings over them. Very jarring how such a sophisticated animation suddenly copies a cliche from most cheap animations, reminded me of 'Home' where the main character is voiced by Rihanna . Seems like a cheap method of having a popular pop star to help promote your movie. This didn't need it at all. Thankfully, there are only two moments where this happens.

Best animation in a long time, I enjoyed InsideOut but for me it only had good storytelling and not good comedy/characters. Zootopia really had it all. I struggle to think of a better all rounder since the likes of the WallE, Up, Ratatouille era. 

If you have kids it's a no brainer, everyone wins.

• Upvote 2

It's a no brainer even without the kids. Was at the movies the other day, they showed the trailer for this and the entire theatre, 100% adult audience, was laughing tears. I am so gonna watch this one :)

Currently in US and watched this last week. Its really good. Saw it in the Amc in Disney Springs. Probably the best cinema I've been in. 

I liked it- the world is great, it's got some decent jokes, some of the homages are genuinely funny (The Godfather) although some aren't (Breaking Bad) - but it's got an admirably twisted sense of humour at times (especially in the animal nudist section), it's gorgeous to look at- the only real bum notes for me was the Shakira bit and Idris Elba's voice work wasn't that hot as the police captain. But it's basically Chinatown for kids, with a happier ending. 

• Upvote 1

What most of my friends that I spoke to are worried about is that they may have shown the funniest scene in the trailer already. I keep saying that's unlikely, but what do you say who've already seen the movie? (Talking about the trailer with the sloths, I haven't seen any others).

That scene is funny. But the movie offers so much more than just that one scene. So dont worry. 

Saw this last night and have to say I really enjoyed it. The two main characters were very likeable, it moved along at pace and lots of laughs.

For a second there when reading the last comment I thought I was in The Witch thread - and slightly confused.

This is a wonderful movie.  Fantastic world building and juggled everything it was trying to do.  Pixar often does high concept really well, but their pacing can also be a bit lopsided and just revert to type after the concept has played out.   This stayed consistently funny, kept a mystery plot going, have great character moments and centred it around a complicated message.  It could have turned out pretty horribly if it didn't stick its landing.  As others have said, we haven't seen an 'all-rounder' like this for a while.  The Incredibles was probably the last one for me, which funnily enough, is ideological completely opposed to Zootropolis' philosophy.

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

I'm starting to think disney animation is starting to be better than Pixars stuff lately..

I tend to think that they must draw on the same talent pool and there just aren't enough to keep both at top of their game at the same time.  Now that Disney is back, it's name probably still draws the cream of the crop and Pixar don't have the next generation of the 'brain trust'.  Inside Out show they still got it, but expectation for them are a lot higher and anything ordinary feels like disappointment.  Whereas something like this from Disney still feels like a nice surprise.

On 13/03/2016 at 1:50 PM, rumblecat said:

I liked it- the world is great, it's got some decent jokes, some of the homages are genuinely funny (The Godfather) although some aren't (Breaking Bad) - but it's got an admirably twisted sense of humour at times (especially in the animal nudist section), it's gorgeous to look at- the only real bum notes for me was the Shakira bit and Idris Elba's voice work wasn't that hot as the police captain. But it's basically Chinatown for kids, with a happier ending. 

Exactly what I took from it too, although I did laugh at the breaking bad bit. :)

I'm seriously in love with this film, its funny, the leads are great and it has a really great message to kids and even more relevant for adults too in the current climate of fear seen across the world. It really is just an awesome film, I'm surprised not more people are talking about it.

The only minor gripe would be the songs by Shakira, which didn't annoy me but I didn't particularly enjoy either. 

Much like other recent 'childrens' films, I felt that this was misrepresented in the trailers & was actually an awful lot darker in tone than expected.

My four year old & a friend's child found the film quite unsettling & didn't enjoy it, I appreciate that they are probably on the young end & perhaps I could have done a bit more reading before we went in but then that diminishes my enjoyment of it as well, however I probably need to do that in future.

I, as an adult, thought it was great, well animated & had a strong plot, enjoyed it very much.

This was basically a genius film about extremism and politics of fear. With the Trump campaign rampaging across America it couldn't be more precient if it tried. I happen to think this was one of the best films I've seen in years, and definitely one of the most politically astute - it was hillarious (sloth scene was probably the best one but there was LOL moments throughout), its two leads were wonderful, it had a better story then most cop-buddy films in the last decade, and the underlying political message was just beautifully communicated. For me this was a more impressive tightrope of child-friendly adventure with adult-friendly themes than Inside Out, a damn sight more funny, and so fucking of its time it hurt. I really don't understand why this film is passing most people by - EVERYONE should see it. I wish Trump protestors could just screen this film at his rallies.

• Upvote 9

Yep, I'm with barkbat. Just an amazing film, miles better than Inside Out and possibly a better all round film than that recent blockbuster that rhymes with bar tours.

I saw this earlier in the week and I must have asked for a ticket for whatever it isn't called here. The guy at the till, with all the sincerity in the world, asked me to clarify.

We're doomed as a species.

Fun movie though.

Watched it last night. What a great movie.

Everything about it was done so well. If anything, i think there could have been a bit more humor. There was several funny moments but i wouldn't have said anything stood out that amazingly (the pirate dvds were pretty good and the nudist camp was funny). Apart from that, i thought the animation was amazing and the story was one of the best in an animated film i'd seen.

I could perhaps see younger kids not really enjoying it as much due to lack of the funny but for an adult i thought it was a decent detective story.

Also, i didn't have an issue with the shakira stuff at all. It got to the end of the movie when i thought,so whats with people moaning at the shakira stuff? It didn't bother me whatsoever.

I actually enjoyed this more than superman vs batman and captain america too.

edit: 

actually the "baby" was pretty funny.

On 14/04/2016 at 7:08 PM, makkuwata said:

I saw this earlier in the week and I must have asked for a ticket for whatever it isn't called here. The guy at the till, with all the sincerity in the world, asked me to clarify.

We're doomed as a species.

Fun movie though.

Because you didn't know the name of the film, or because he didn't know what the film is called in other countries?

10 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Because you didn't know the name of the film, or because he didn't know what the film is called in other countries?

Because it was a quiet afternoon matinee and there weren't too many "Zoo" movies starting in the next ten minutes.

Saw this at the weekend. It's so good. My favourite animated film in years... it's funny, sweet and serious at the same time. Beautiful.

I acquired Zootopia after confusing with it with another CG animation called "Sing".

What a pleasant surprise!  Looking at the cover art you could be forgiven for thinking that this would be a Over the Hedge, Madagascar type affair but it caught me off guard with all the 

Spoiler

buddy cop homages, action movie tropes.and clever humour.  It was one of those films that seemed to read my mind where I would question something or predict the plot then there would be an answer on screen within the next minute.  The big message of the film for kids is about equality but that comes second to great pacing, characters and writing. Loved it.

Even if you don't really "do" Pixar style movies I'd give this a go because Zootopia is really special.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Professor_k said:

I acquired Zootopia after confusing with it with another CG animation called "Sing".

What a pleasant surprise!  Looking at the cover art you could be forgiven for thinking that this would be a Over the Hedge, Madagascar type affair but it caught me off guard with all the 

Hide contents

buddy cop homages, action movie tropes.and clever humour.  It was one of those films that seemed to read my mind where I would question something or predict the plot then there would be an answer on screen within the next minute.  The big message of the film for kids is about equality but that comes second to great pacing, characters and writing. Loved it.

Even if you don't really "do" Pixar style movies I'd give this a go because Zootopia is really special.

I don't think this is a kids film at all. It's definitely aimed at a family market - i'm sure most kids would not get the big amount of adult jokes in the film. 

Actually think this is one of Disney's best films they have made. The whole world of Zootopia is quite interesting and could easily get another film without it going to the tired sequel root of some of Disney's previous films.

I even think it's better than most of Pixar's efforts from the past few years.

• Upvote 4