rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Mighty Ash

XBL vs PSN - Microsoft announce cross network play

http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/

Cross-Network Play
First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

:hat:

• Upvote 9

4 minutes ago, Chooch said:

Open invitation to PSN?

Yeah. I'm reading it as now Microsoft have enabled it all on their side, the only only thing stopping it would be SONY.

• Upvote 1

Crazy times.

I wonder if the hope is if this takes off it'll take away the 'I bought PS4 because my friends have it'  factor and bring it back to first party exclusives.

• Upvote 3

being open to it doesnt mean its talking to another network , it could be "we are open to it you just have to ensure you code in our protocols" etc

Only to PC for now. They had that announced for a while. The thing Microsoft says makes it seem it will be open to the PS4, so long as the RL devs enable it, and Sony allow it on their end.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Without wanting to enrage any really enthusiastic fans of pieces of consumer hardware, why would developers necessarily want this, given the potential difference in player experience?

• Upvote 1

Look at the playercount on Battlefront. Low thousands for each platform. Merging the 3 into shared lobbies would greatly increase the numbers playing together (Ignoring the things like framerate/mouse controls etc).

You own an Xbox and your mate a PS4. Want to both play F1 2016 together? Someone has to pay a huge chunk of money. So maybe both of you may not buy the game at all. No good for codies. If they had cross platform, it wouldn't matter what machine your mates had.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, King A said:

Only to PC for now. They had that announced for a while.

The announcement in the link is dated today, and says:

now that we are able to pursue complete online unity on all platforms, today’s announcement is a dream come true

But I understand the scepticism. I can't see it amounting to much. Sony will be stubborn mules, and most devs won't bother with the extra work and testing. Even if it does come true, I expect the cross-platform support will "just" be for game matchmaking, no OS-supported features like parties or in-game chat, so if you buy a console because that's where your friends are, nothing changes. Would like to be proved wrong tho.

35 minutes ago, PK said:

Without wanting to enrage any really enthusiastic fans of pieces of consumer hardware, why would developers necessarily want this, given the potential difference in player experience?

There's only differences in player experience with shooters and mouse aiming, stuff like racing games will be fine, fighting games would be fine, Elite would have been fine as your "aiming" is based on the fixed turn rate of the ships (but since crossplay was disallowed they're now stuck with different world-states in terms of exploration and PvP territory control), you can enable stuff like sharing worlds in Minecraft or whatever. Lots you can do.

About time. Great news for third parties and indies. With some smart coding should ensure even less popular games should be able to keep its player base for years to come.

Rocket League was always on Psyonix servers and Sony has been open about cross-play, so expect PC/PS4/Xbox soon I think.

7 minutes ago, peeveen said:

The announcement in the link is dated today, and says:

I thought I had read about that one feature earlier. Getting muddled up between PS4 & PC. My bad.

8 minutes ago, peeveen said:

But I understand the scepticism. I can't see it amounting to much. Sony will be stubborn mules, and most devs won't bother with the extra work and testing. Even if it does come true, I expect the cross-platform support will "just" be for game matchmaking, no OS-supported features like parties or in-game chat, so if you buy a console because that's where your friends are, nothing changes. Would like to be proved wrong tho.

How does it work on mobile where the feature is allowed already? is every online game crossplatform play there? A cursory Google would suggest not.

Expecting platform exclusive features like party chat to be implemented or become crossplatform seems counterproductive for either platform holder to allow, unless they are about to announce they've decided to combine their gaming divisions anyway.

Nope - the communication networks won't be cross compatible as thats the carrot that Microsoft are dangling. Alongside eventual Crossbuy purchases with Win10.

It's the communication layer and digital store they are interested keeping you in. Xbox Live being closed worked for them last generation as it kept players from moving away but now they are so far behind, this is another incentive to try and entice players to move back.

Is this really all that generous on Microsoft's side? Are they making their games peak PSNish, or do they just expect PlayStation developers to create games that speak Xboxese?

Looking at who actually made this announcement and the reasons they chose to do it, does this even apply to AAA games?

We actually started ID@Xbox by going out on a listening tour that seemed huge at the time (more than 50 developers!), but today, with more than 1,400 studios creating games for Xbox One and Windows 10 via ID@Xbox, 50 seems like a pretty small number!

Our core principles haven’t changed though – make sure we deliver a huge variety of awesome games to players on Xbox One and Windows 10 by making it as easy as possible for independent developers to publish games on our platforms. The developers have certainly held up their end of the bargain! The list of unbelievably good games on Xbox One from independent developers is really too long to list. And we’re still listening, and we’re still working every day to make things better.

I’m excited today to announce a couple new things that grew directly out of developer feedback.

The announcement is a feature requested by indie devs who want to have their software available on every platform that is financially viable for them to put it on, uniting their userbase is valuable in that aim, not so sure the typical AAA game with their massive online userbases are in quite the same hurry to unify the clans.

• Upvote 3

Surely what matters is whether it works well. If rival platforms want to put effort in to make this work great for players, then it's a fantastic idea. 

Come to think of it, didn't Sony officially start supporting thirdparty networks (i.e. Steam) back when The Orange Box came out on PS3? Or was it Portal 2?

Is that a different thing because it wasn't really the PSN talking to Steam but a game using Steam instead of PSN?

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

There's only differences in player experience with shooters and mouse aiming, stuff like racing games will be fine, fighting games would be fine, Elite would have been fine as your "aiming" is based on the fixed turn rate of the ships (but since crossplay was disallowed they're now stuck with different world-states in terms of exploration and PvP territory control), you can enable stuff like sharing worlds in Minecraft or whatever. Lots you can do.

They share the same world-state, powerplay data, etc.