XBL vs PSN - Microsoft announce cross network play

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Elite would have been fine as your "aiming" is based on the fixed turn rate of the ships (but since crossplay was disallowed they're now stuck with different world-states in terms of exploration and PvP territory control)

Eh? My understanding is that it's a shared galaxy, just with separate instancing so you have no direct match ups across the two versions. 

Awesome awesome news.  It'll be good to play other console owners.  the PC lot with mouse and keyboard maybe not so much.

MS coming up with some pretty nice ideas lately.  

Will be interesting to see who takes it up.

• Upvote 1

http://www.rocketleaguegame.com/news/2016/03/xbox-one-cross-network-play/

To say that the team here at Psyonix is both honored and excited to have Rocket League as the first cross-network game is a massive understatement. Cross-network play has been the number-one most requested feature our community has asked for since Rocket League was first announced on Xbox One, and now that we are able to pursue complete online unity on all platforms, today’s announcement is a dream come true.

Expect to see Rocket League cross-network play working on Xbox One and PC later this spring, with information regarding other platforms coming soon.

Seems pretty clear cut to me. Microsoft were the final blockade to open online play - Sony/Nintendo/PC/Phones already play nicely together. I think any publisher that already has another account system (Uplay, Origin, Battle.net) will be the first to really try and get communities together. Bungie will too I think with Destiny especially as all character information is stored on their servers anyway. Should be really interesting. 

1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Seems pretty clear cut to me. Microsoft were the final blockade to open online play - Sony/Nintendo/PC/Phones already play nicely together. I think any publisher that already has another account system (Uplay, Origin, Battle.net) will be the first to really try and get communities together. Bungie will too I think with Destiny especially as all character information is stored on their servers anyway. Should be really interesting. 

Destiny would never work, Xbone owners are missing content for a year ;)

imagine being killed in PvP by a PS4 exclusive gun ;)

5 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

When you say Microsoft were the final blockade, all those other things play together? Do you have examples of each?

This would have been great right about now. I have a ps4 (and pc) but most my mates bought division on xbox one. It would be cool to be able to play with them.

One issue i see with this, if if Nintendo does not take this on board then it definitely will become isolated if all the players are playing xbox one/ps4. If there is voice chat i just am not sure Nintendo will go for this though..

• Upvote 1

Cross play between XBoxLive and PSN will NEVER happen. Sony has absolutely no reason to do it, and the work to make it happen on PSN is probably substantial. Twitch-style games like FPS's would be a mess, for multiple reasons.

It's a whole can of worms that neither Microsoft nor Sony has any reason to open.

I'm not sure that it's technologically all that much work. Presumably most of the "heavy lifting" in allowing consoles to communicate with each other is all on the developer's side and independent of the platform they're working on, and they're just plugging into each network's APIs for things like identifying players and enabling chat.

As pointed out above, playing with non-PSN users isn't exactly a new thing for PlayStation, and until recently Nintendo didn't have enough of an online infrastructure for there to be much distinction between playing against another Nintendo machine and something else entirely.

It's definitely a very nice thing that Microsoft are doing, totally not them desperately trying to get access to Sony's share of the market after stubbornly refusing anything like this for years when their market share was larger. Hopefully Sony don't act like that now they're leading and go for this now, because if it was set as a precedent it would be much harder to later remove.

3 hours ago, Broker said:

It's definitely a very nice thing that Microsoft are doing, totally not them desperately trying to get access to Sony's share of the market after stubbornly refusing anything like this for years when their market share was larger. Hopefully Sony don't act like that now they're leading and go for this now, because if it was set as a precedent it would be much harder to later remove.

Shit, are you saying Microsoft are a business and they are actually doing this to try make some money!?

I think he's pointing out that Microsoft wouldn't have done this in a hundred years if they'd still been the top hot shit dogs on campus. Market conditions are forcing them to lift a self-imposed block but they're describing it as "an open invitation for other networks to participate" which is kind of stupid.

• Upvote 3

The silo-ing off of online services is super weird when you compare it to any other technology or form of media but one of those things you take for granted due to the history of the industry. It probably would have ended anyway sooner or later as people would have expected the same functionality as mobile.

I wonder if by generation end we'll have consoles offering Android and Apple style "migrate from competitor" stuff.

I don't know that the silo-ing is all that unusual, it's just that it's usually done by the publisher (Rovio, EA, Valve, Blizzard...) for their games rather than the platform holder for a platform. Even then Apple and Google have their own mutually incompatible online friends/matchmaking services for games, even though nobody uses them.

20 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I don't know that the silo-ing is all that unusual, it's just that it's usually done by the publisher (Rovio, EA, Valve, Blizzard...) for their games rather than the platform holder for a platform. Even then Apple and Google have their own mutually incompatible online friends/matchmaking services for games, even though nobody uses them.

It's even worse on Android, as in some instances it's done by store. Download a game from Amazon's app store and it'll use Amazon GameCircle, but if you download the same game from Google Play Store it'll be using Google Play Services.

15 hours ago, TehStu said:

When you say Microsoft were the final blockade, all those other things play together? Do you have examples of each?

As far as I'm aware Pure Pool is across all of those, or that's the intention - I'm not sure if that's actually been implemented yet. Also Dragon Quest X will be cross-play on Wii/WiiU/PS4 when the PS4 version gets released later this year, in Japan.

There are plenty of examples of PS4/PC and also quite a few PSVita/PS3/PS4 cross-play such as Helldivers. Not aware of a single game being X360/XBO unfortunately.

Only previous examples of cross-play from Microsoft have been Shadowrun which was 360/Games for Windows and Final Fantasy 11 which was 360/PS2/PC. Microsoft seemed to make an exception for Square Enix (probably with one eye on FF13) as Phantasy Star Universe wasn't allowed cross-play and ended up being 360 only and PS2/PC together.

Yeah, after I wrote it and saw the above, I realized there were quite a few with various combinations of the platforms, although I wasn't aware of Pure Pool, that's nifty.

Where there's no obvious reason to segregate, it's surely better to consolidate your online population.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-responds-to-microsofts-invite-to-connect-xbox/1100-6435688/

"PlayStation has been supporting cross-platform play between PC on several software titles starting with Final Fantasy 11 on PS2 and PC back in 2002,” reads the statement from the corporation. “We would be happy to have the conversation with any publishers or developers who are interested in cross platform play."

• Upvote 1