Oddworld: Soulstorm

15 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Is this a brand new game ? Or a remake of Abes Exodus ?

A bit of both from what I’ve read. I’ve seen it referred to as ‘the game Abe’s Exoddus should have been’.

So after some more investigation the disc version isn’t out until July, and according to Oddworld’s Twitter both the PS4 and PS5 versions are out today. But only PS5 is showing on the store. Gotcha.

20 minutes ago, Paulando said:

‘the game Abe’s Exoddus should have been’.

6d1d37f028dcd83e14516ecd42796a9c0d840363

I wish Lanning would let this tired and dated old franchise die and revisit Stranger's Wrath instead.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

6d1d37f028dcd83e14516ecd42796a9c0d840363

I wish Lanning would let this tired and dated old franchise die and revisit Stranger's Wrath instead.

Agreed. But I suspect Lanniglng is very aware that doing a modern take on Stranger's Wrath in a way that feels as fresh and different from current shooters as the original did back in the day, is a pretty big challenge. While the 2.5D puzzley games are still as viable as ever, with only a visual upgrade needed to make it appeal to current tastes. But Stranger's Wrath, as much as I adored it, needs a significant rethink to find the freshness again.

10 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Apparently review code was sent out late - looks like the code was coming in very hot as there were warnings of game-breaking bugs in the PR gumph. Set to be patched imminently (dunno if this has already happened with the version out now)!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-06-oddworld-soulstorm-launches-with-a-couple-of-significant-bugs

The bugs that are still there are supposed to be minor ones. Whatever the big one was, it's been patched. But it did delay review copies.

I have finihsed the first chapter and it all seems decent enough if a little 'brown'.  Its certainly an Oddworld game but looking forward to getting stuck in this evening. 

I haven’t played an Oddworld game for a very long time, when did the first ones come out PS2 or PS3? This seems ok so far, I doubt I would have considered buying it so having it on Plus is a bonus. 

I haven’t seen anything that makes me think it’s any different to the what the PS4 version will be like, although I’ve only played at 1080 for now. Very little haptics or trigger effects either so feels like a bit of a lazy port. Maybe I’m being a bit unfair having not seen the PS4 version though.

It’s kept my interest for a couple of hours so far, two stages done, see how it goes.

3 hours ago, catinthehat said:

First impressions: Unskippable intro.  

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT ANY OF THIS SHIT.  I JUST WANT TO PLAY THE GAME.

Fucks sake.

I’m of the same mind. Normally for games I don’t know if I’m going to bother with.

I just need to feel it, I just need to move the sticks and see if it feels good. It’s the old 3 second of fun loop thing.

Also lately I have a burning hatred for tutorials. They’re so dull and stop start, just get me in there.

7 minutes ago, Retroid said:

Genuinely like how can anyone want to skip a cutscene for an Oddworld game? I haven't felt this disappointed in society since Brexit. 

3 hours ago, Eighthours said:

4 minutes ago, Majora said:

Snip.

Ah ok, I think it's a failed gag that's meant to be ironic but I dunno. It's failed either way I guess.

Urgh, I really wanna be able to play this and get engrossed in Oddworld all over again, but it needs patching and quick. 

There are countless bugs I've encountered in the first couple of levels.

Lots of instances of Sligs never returning to patrols once they've stopped hunting for you (or just never moving when they spawn in the escape sections so you can just stand there and watch your survivor counter rack up).

Abe just randomly goes into a roll quite a bit. 

Hang on a ledge when an explosion goes off and rather than drop, you'll get blasted up and onto the platform and inevitably get shot. 

Just had a Slig who was meant to be launched into the play are get stuck mid air. Possessed him and could just walk in the air as though he was on the ground.

Most aren't game breaking, but they're frequent, distracting and have led to a couple of checkpoint restarts. 

I completely loved the old Abe games. I appreciate they're making something new with this one rather than just a straight remake... but I dunno. I'm on the 3rd section and I don't feel like I've had fun yet.

Are the controls worse than New ‘n’ Tasty, then? I loved that, was expecting more of the same from this considering how close Oddysee and Exoddus were. With the bugs it sounds like they might have rushed it out at the end to meet this PS Plus deadline :wacko:

Surprised to hear about the bugs and lack of polish in this, Oddworld games always felt so slick and well produced, definitely one of the games I'd use to show what the PS1 could do anyway.

It’s kind of difficult to discern the thoughts of people who don’t like tedious platformers and are only playing it because it’s free on PS Plus and they have nothing else to play on their PS5s, from the people (like me) who love tedious 90s-style platformers with finicky controls.

Like, if it’s just more of the same of New ‘n’ Tasty I know I’ll love it.

That cutscene is totally pointless. Maybe in an open world game you could do something with listening to a character give detailed directions. But in a game like this you don't need to know it because you're just going right . Bizarre. 

I love platformers of any stripe but this is pretty abject. The controls are sludgy, the frame rate tanks constantly. There's a whole water and fire thing which is implemented in as uninteresting a way as possible whilst also being a technical shambles, water will sometimes put out a fire and sometimes it won't - despite landing plum on the fire. I've a soft spot for the old PS1 games but this is just a horrible mess so far.