rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lothar Hex

The "Grown Adults Who Still Like Cartoons" topic.

Title says it all really. Me and my wife are both 31 years old this year and some of our favourite programmes to watch are cartoons, and not just the ones we loved as kids. It seems were in a sort of new reinassance for cartoons lately, with series tackling more mature themes, in with the traditonal stuff that can still be entertaining. My personal favoruites are:

Avatar, Aang and Korra: Both have gotten plenty of love here so won't speak too much on them. The first series with Aang is overal a better show thjan the sequel, Legend of Korra, but I feel that defintely has it's moments, particularly season 3 which had a great story, villain, and character development for pretty much everyone.

Steven Universe: Love this show, the adventures of a magical half alien boy  and his 3 alien  guardians and how they try and save the worlkd, helped by his human father and friends. Sounds fairly traditional anime territory doesn't it? But honestly deals with a lot of adult themes, from same sex relationships (sorta), mourning a loved one, growing up without a mother, but with 3 ageless sisters. Hell most of the characters have various mental breakdowns that comes with being an immortal creature having to deal with the loss of a loved one, and one in particular having jealously of having lost that loved one to a mortal man.

Star vs the forces of evil: Play on the magical girl genre, just wacky fun, not too in depth or much character development, just a bit of silly fun.

Wander over Yonder: Another piece of silly fun, but clever at the same time. Random alien and his friend travel the universe helping people, while usually screwing up the plans of a few universe dominating villains. Again just some daft fun, Done by Craig McKraken of Powerpuff girls fame.

Gravity Falls: Recently just ended, but would recommend this immensly. Two twin get stuck with their Gruncle Stan (Great Uncle) in the middle of nowehere town, but discover various weirdness which includes shapeshifting aliens, ghosts, video game characters that come to life, small lilliputllian like creates who live in a minigolf props, and other dimensional Cthulhu-esque entities. All this while also dealing with growing up, crushes on older girls,  mermen, clones, boys with sock puppet fetishes (seriously). Some great drama and the finale was a great piece of animated entertainment with some subtle adult humour every now and then.

Gruncle Stan: Now which one of you kids wants to get blindfolded and get in my car!

Both: I do!

Dipper: Wait...what?

It should be noted that no ill intentions were meant with that above exchange.

Rick and Morty: My mate basically sums this up of "this is what would actually happen with Dr. Who." The most adult show on this list with language and such, but it's far more subversive and darker than the profanity implies. Basically take a dimension hopping, mad scientist who is also an unrepentant galactic terrorist and his grandson and let them loose on the universe, sometime joined by the older grandaughter. Then you have their normal suburban family having to deal with this. One episode in particular features a part with a matrix style simulation where the father of said family becomes the most succesful he has become in his life..only to find it was all fake (and not particularly subtle either, this matrix in his level had clipping issues, WoW like NPC repeated dialogue...and a living piece of bread who had a toaster car right across the street). Some of the stuff in this is really dark ("Remember, you all have love ones, they can die, they can be brought back, and then they can die again.") but is bloody hilarious.

Also Archer, but I think people know about that already. Plus Season 6 was shite.

Edit: Oh and may be only of interest to me, but they're trying to bring Swat Kats back. THANK YOU CARTOON JESUS!

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1006272/nine-lives-swat-kats-to-make-comeback/

Edited by Lothar Hex
update
  • Upvote 6

I can't say I watch a lot of modern cartoons (beyond the odd anime here and there) but I'm very fond of animation in general. I think the last thing I was really in to was Samurai Jack (which is returning, I hear!). I've been feeling an urge to go and rewatch all of the 90s X-Men series, as well - there's a load of episodes from the end of the run that I haven't seen.

Oh, and Reboot - how could I forget that? A simply amazing series. I finally got round to watching the last 'season' (Daemon Rising/My Two Bobs) and the quality of the animation is just superb. Tremendous shame about the cliff-hanger ending, though. I did my rewatch of the series last year alongside my runthrough of the Sweeney - imagine my surprise when the velvet tones of Megabyte himself could be heard in the pre-credits bit of "Golden Boy". It was also only recently that I found out that British comics legend Brendan McCarthy was responsible for the excellent design of the series.

Since finishing Korra (yes, season 3 is the best!), I've been working my way through all of Justice League/Justice League Unlimited recently. The first season of Justice League isn't particularly special, but from the second season it gets really good.

Amazon Prime has lots of animated series, but what they choose to make pay-only seems really inconsistent at times. They've had all of Batman TAS and Justice League/Justice League Unlimited free with Prime for ages - but they made Superman, Spectacular Spider-Man and (worst of all!) Samurai Jack pay-only, without any warning, mid-way though my viewing of them. :(

I also watched Sym-Bionic Titan on there a few months ago - it was not as great as everyone in the thread here said it was when it first aired, but it was getting very promising towards the end. Then not long after I'd finished it, they removed it from the Prime Video service too (perhaps because half the episodes were mis-titled, in the wrong order, and in the wrong aspect ratio).

Avatar TLA is godly obviously, but I also highly recommend anything Greg Weisman has been creator/producer/showrunner on..

Gargoyles

Spectacular Spider-Man

Young Justice..

The recent CGI Green Lantern series was really good .. Transformers Prime is also well worth a watch..

God Gargoyles is one of those weird ones where at the time, if you told someone it was a Disney show they'd be like "Really? You sure?" That said anything with Keith David voice acting tends to be good.

It's sad Gargoyles barely got screened over here.. It deserved better..

It's true it's not like anything Disney have made before or since..

Ironically it was supposed to be their 'superhero universe' to compete with the likes of Marvel, until a change in management they were looking to spin multiple series off from it..

Best thing was it was serialised in a way Batman TAS never was, really got a ton of character development over the course of the show, great villains, amazing cast.. Loved it!

Still hoping it gets revived some day..

6 hours ago, Broker said:

I'd heartily reccomend Batman: The Brave and the Bold to any human of any age.

This, if only for Aquaman. 

Every so often i'll flick over to the Kid's channels on Sky. I like most of the Superhero cartoons, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Pokemon and Spongebob. 

Also Bob's Burgers but that's not really aimed at children anyway. 

Yeah, its totally mathematical.

I miss the old Saturday morning kids TV shows - me and the missus would head back to bed and watch some mindless puppets - or Zig and Zag, Nobby the Sheep and the like - introduce some choice toons.

And there were some classics back in the 90s - Angry Beavers, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life!

But yeah, the new, darker DC stuff seems pretty good. Look forward to trying the other stuff in this thread (Bob's Burgers is awesome),

I really like We Bare Bears. Three bears, hanging out. Obsessed with social media and their failure to be popular. 

As well as being funny, parts of it are kind of moving too. This clip is from an ep where they've been trying to get bought from the pet store (it's a flashback ep). But the bear's mad dash for the friends he lost gets me every time- it's a combination of the music, the desperation, the barking... it genuinely tears me up. 

• Upvote 2

At some point, roughly just after Toy Story 2 I think, I just stopped giving a damn about animated shows and films. I'm not even sure why but I just don't care for animation any more, and no amount of positive reviews - be they from friends or respected critics alike - can persuade me to watch one. The last one I managed to sit through (most of) was Kiki's Delivery Service on FilmFour one morning, which was perfectly sweet and charming but even then, I lost interest before the end. Ditto when a friend tried to get a bunch of us to watch Archer and I was bored out of my mind inside 5 minutes, despite on paper it being very much my jam.

It's not even a sneery jerk "these are childish and I Am An Adult" thing, I like plenty of other things that one might say falls under the same umbrella. It's like whatever part of my soul liked and appreciated animated films/shows just straight up died. S'weird.

3 hours ago, Space Renegade Ulala said:

The last one I managed to sit through (most of) was Kiki's Delivery Service on FilmFour one morning, which was perfectly sweet and charming but even then, I lost interest before the end.

You're not missing much with the ending TBH, I watched this and another one when Disney for whatever reason decided to give away tickets to cinema screenings of them, which turned out to be the DVD version projected and dubbed. It's as you describe, not exactly an essential Studio Ghibli release, a lesser work.

I can empathise with your falling out of love with animation, though I don't think I've quite reached the point where I've completely stopped caring. The last thing I watched a few years ago and enjoyed was Adventure Time, very good.

On 15/3/2016 at 6:56 PM, Broker said:

I'd heartily reccomend Batman: The Brave and the Bold to any human of any age.

Hmm, I was going to download the original amimated series to watch with my five year old girl. Would you say this is a better bet? She loved the Justice League cartoons.

I've watched 100 episodes of Teen Titans Go, pretty much back to back, and it has NEVER failed to leave me giggling.

Beast Boy is a fucking top idiot. Serious.

I guess you should start with...

Videogame References

(what little I've seen of Steven universe has been good too)

Can't beleive

On 16 March 2016 at 8:53 AM, Delargey said:

ADVENTURE TIME!

The fuck did I forget about Adventure Time? Love how that can be silly one second and then OH SHIT STUFF JUST GOT REALY AND FUCKED UP AND CTHULHU UP IN HERE the next.

10 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

Hmm, I was going to download the original amimated series to watch with my five year old girl. Would you say this is a better bet? She loved the Justice League cartoons.

I'd say Batman: The Brave and the Bold is probably slightly more suited toi a five year old. It basically takes the "silly" aspects of Batman from the Silver Age and bungs it in animated form. But makes them compleiing and revels in the absurdity. Hell one of the more memorable villains is Crazy Quilt whose power involving changing the colours of stuff.. That said there are some episodes that go dark, such as Emperor Joker (hey wanna watch Batman killed multiple times?), and definitely Chill of the Night (Bat's confronts his parents killer).

Best episode has to the Music Meister. A Neil Patrick Harris musical episode. Fantastic.

• Upvote 1

Most have been mentioned, but we're fans of:

Adventure Time

World of Gumball (which an (ex?) forumite now writes for, by the way)

Powerpuff Girls

Ninjago

Nexo Knights

Teen Titans/Teen Titans Go!

Regular Show

We Bare Bears

Spongebob

Simpsons

Futurama

Modern cartoons - rubbish.

80s cartoons, and selected 90s cartoons were and still are great.

80s - Transformers, Thundercats, Mystertious Cities of Gold, Ulysees 31, Dogtanian, Dungeons and Dragons, Dangermouse, Centurions, He-Man (and She-Ra - what, don't hate, appreciate), Bravestarr, MASK, maybe even Care Bears, Jem and My Little Pony (!)

90s - Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Spongebob Squarepants (OK, barely 90s), X-Men

Today's cartoons may be great in animation terms but in story terms they're nowhere near as engaging as the older ones.

I'm actually actively buying box sets of all the old cartoons.  

• Upvote 1

On 16 March 2016 at 11:11 AM, Space Renegade Ulala said:

At some point, roughly just after Toy Story 2 I think, I just stopped giving a damn about animated shows and films. I'm not even sure why but I just don't care for animation any more, and no amount of positive reviews - be they from friends or respected critics alike - can persuade me to watch one. The last one I managed to sit through (most of) was Kiki's Delivery Service on FilmFour one morning, which was perfectly sweet and charming but even then, I lost interest before the end. Ditto when a friend tried to get a bunch of us to watch Archer and I was bored out of my mind inside 5 minutes, despite on paper it being very much my jam.

It's not even a sneery jerk "these are childish and I Am An Adult" thing, I like plenty of other things that one might say falls under the same umbrella. It's like whatever part of my soul liked and appreciated animated films/shows just straight up died. S'weird.

I actively hate Pixar films -- they seem so thoroughly formulaic to the point of mathematically trying to elicit very particular responses at the exact right time, and nullifying the whole point of the Animated Oscar award, because the board is made up of actual fuckwits who can't dare look past anything with the Disney badge emblazened on it.

Anyway, onto the rest of it in no particular order:

Adventure Time -- the first kid's cartoon I started watching in absolutely years, after many years of deliberately missing out from general apathy. It's always had a top tiered roster of talent both vocal and in storyboards, though it definitely suffered for what felt like the longest time after its best writer, Rebecca Sugar, left to do her own cartoon (below). I'd say it's definitely picked up again, though.

Regular Show -- also kicked off around the same time as AT, but self-knowingly aimed at an older audience (though there was only one episode which ever had a swear in, now edited and lost to the ages). Definitely suffers from a lack of variation, and shit the bed a bunch when it tried to do proper love interests for Mordecai.

Steven Universe -- from the queen of modern-day storyboarding, Rebecca Sugar's own show is outlandishly confident in how it is playing the long game, and it just gets more intriguing as it delves further and further into the lore, itself set up all the way from the beginning. The only downside is some of the more insane fans in corners of the internet, but it's fairly easy to avoid.

Teen Titans Go! -- a "wacky" spin on the original Teen Titans cartoon from just over 10 years ago, but it's such a guilty pleasure. Some episodes just don't work at all sometimes, but other times it's amusing enough, and all the better when it takes the piss out of fans of the serious shows that have aged terribly.

I loved the previous Teen Titans cartoon, haven't been able to get on board with Go! Just don't like the style. 

I love animated shorts possibly more than anything live action, seeing as my animation anthologies outnumber the other disks in my physical collection. Fleischer studios, Warners and Disney being the greatest of the pre-50s era and Ghibli-related stuff from the '70s through to '90s being my favourite modern day films.

I don't put any of the above in same universe as sophisticated animated sit-coms like Archer and Rick & Morty though, as much as I like them. Chalk and cheese.

Ren & Stimpy also deserves a special mention for being pushed as a legit children's cartoon in its early days. That was amazing.

I'm deeply suspicious of Pixar fans.

20 hours ago, Smoothy said:

Modern cartoons - rubbish.

80s cartoons, and selected 90s cartoons were and still are great.

80s - Transformers, Thundercats, Mystertious Cities of Gold, Ulysees 31, Dogtanian, Dungeons and Dragons, Dangermouse, Centurions, He-Man (and She-Ra - what, don't hate, appreciate), Bravestarr, MASK, maybe even Care Bears, Jem and My Little Pony (!)

90s - Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Spongebob Squarepants (OK, barely 90s), X-Men

Today's cartoons may be great in animation terms but in story terms they're nowhere near as engaging as the older ones.

I'm actually actively buying box sets of all the old cartoons.  

How do you quantify "engaging", though? I mean, go back and watch some of it; some of the stuff you listed is pure shite, especially those created specifically to pimp out more toys, not to mention how poorly some of them gel with the medium of animation. As for one outlandish example, it's quite alarming to think of how many cartoons of such eras were filled with weapon-toting heroes, only for nobody to ever actually hurt or kill anyone.

A slightly silly aside, but how fucked up is it for so many shows to feature deadly weaponary without any illustration of the consequences of using it?

Indeed. Considering most shows in that era had lasers, and would not hit each other despite being separated by a dozen metres. 

As for enagaging, Avatar (both series) Gravity Falls and Steven Universe are some of the most  engaging shows I've ever seen. Far more than something like Walking Dead.Then again since none of them feature big burly men with guns, I doubt you'll have watched them ;)

Also MY LITTLE PONY IN THE 80'S WAS GREAT? SERIOUSLY? I also say this having watched the latest series. It's actually pretty decent, not as good as the above, but surprisingly watchable, hell it even had a DBZ fight.

I can also say as a big  TF fan, the G1 80's toon is rubbish. Oh it;s fun to watch in a "so bad it's good way" but seriously, some of it is just fucking awful.

Yeah but they edit those for broadcast now :(. Weirdly not for violence, but for smoking. Yeah I mean it's fine to show someone being pretty much straight up murdered, but possibly getting lung cancer? SOD THAT.

Some of my fondest memories of my grandfather was him having a few reels, yes REELS, of Tom and Jerry shorts which he would put on for me and my sister on his projector. I must have seen the Tennis short dozens of times.

Yeah, but the older cartoon shorts weren't aimed at kids - they were shown before the main feature to theatres full of adult filmgoers.

So it used to be made for grown-ups and appreciated by kids; now it's the other way around (except for your Archers, etc.).

23 hours ago, Smoothy said:

Hah, what utter shit.  Some episodes of Adventure Time are incredibly well-written, engaging and brutally depressing.

• Upvote 2