Tyranny - new RPG announced by Obsidian

drkbfhmmr

So Obsidian's next game is not Pillars of Eternity 2, though going by screenshots it looks like it's another RPG in the same style. The premise is a bit interesting: At the start of the game, the bad guys have already won, and you play as some sort of judge on their side (plenty of potential for Obsidian's usual choice & consequence style here). Couldn't really find much info other than that (nothing about platforms either, but PC is surely a given), but it should be out in 2016. Here's the PR blurb from the game's website:

You are a Fatebinder

You are the judge and executioner of Kyros’ law, acting under the watchful eye of the Overlords Archon of Justice, Tunon the Adjudicator. Your words shape the lives of thousands. Will you use that power to bring justice and inspire loyalty? Or will you bring fear and cruelty to the beaten people of the Tiers?

The Choice is Yours

A Fatebinder’s word is law, and you decide the fate of the Tiers. Even the smallest of choices shape the land and its people. Tasked with making decisions that truly matter to theTiers and to the factions of Kyros’ army, you will develop a reputation based upon your deeds -- and you will find the world a drastically changed place each time you play Tyranny.

The World of the Tiers

The armies of Kyros the Overlord subjugated the Tiers. Now, the survivors of the war must adapt to a new rule, and keep the land productive for Kyros’ empire. Freely explore and experience a world where the war between good and evil has forever changed society. How will you shape it further?

_lx2lvOH20Oy.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

JV1FupTF211N.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

i3ubsNZnNWuE.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

YEgFfcIN3Hxh.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

4 hours ago, Mallet said:

It's an interesting premise for a game to start from. I've enjoyed just about all of Obsidian's games so I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure, a little surprised that it's due out this year though.

Even Alpha Protocol? Ouch, that wasn't great. I am happy Obsidian are sticking to Isometric RPG's now, they are good at them.

5 hours ago, Mallet said:

It's an interesting premise for a game to start from. I've enjoyed just about all of Obsidian's games so I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure, a little surprised that it's due out this year though.

I think they are big enough to be working on more than one project at a time now.

1 hour ago, Zael said:

Alpha Protocol is one of the best RPGs I've played. It's a bit of a mess, but wow is it a beautiful mess. 

It's certainly different - we could certainly do with fewer fantasy, post-apocalyptic or cyber-punk settings for RPGs.

5 hours ago, Zael said:

Alpha Protocol is one of the best RPGs I've played. It's a bit of a mess, but wow is it a beautiful mess. 

It still has the best, most reactive conversations I've ever played. It's a brilliant conversational RPG tied to a, er, not so brilliant stealth/combat game.

Alpha Protocol is one of the best and most original games of the previous generation, and that's even despite some mediocre/bad secondary gameplay mechanics. But the core game (the conversations, the choices, the structure, the divergent paths) is excellent and easily overshadows anything similar BioWare has attempted so far. It also has a very original and fresh setting compared to almost every other RPG made in the last  two decades or so.

Oh and the premise of Tyranny sounds like the best thing ever. I love that Obsidian has found Paradox as a publisher to keep making isometric RPG's. Fantastic stuff. (still hoping for a spiritual successor to AP someday though)

14 hours ago, Wiper said:

It still has the best, most reactive conversations I've ever played. It's a brilliant conversational RPG tied to a, er, not so brilliant stealth/combat game.

This. And it's a shame that I can't put Tyranny as my 'most anticipated in 2016' in the Rllmuk GotY awards, Obsidian waited too long before announcing it :P

• 7 months later...

Few hours into my review copy and I'm enjoying it so far. There's a lot of lore and dialogue to go through, which is fine with me. Not really got a handle on the combat yet. Just picked up my 4th party member and fights are still a bit of a manic free-for-all. Need to adjust my auto-pause back to my old Baldur's Gate setup I think. The parallels with current events are providing another layer of interest too :)

Put a few more hours in last night having setup Steam streaming to my creaky laptop. Just finished Act 1 which features the Fallout-esque time limit that hit the headlines a couple of weeks back. That limit wasn't too strict in the end; I cleared a few sidequests and explored and still had 4 of the days left.Time seems to pass when you rest so I kept that to a minimum. Got a fifth party member so had to choose one to leave behind at the newly unlocked base.

Really like the way that the banality of evil seeps in. I started off by being as merciful as I could in the hope of currying favour but now have adapted to being a hardnosed bastard which feels far more fitting.

I'm intrigued as to whether the high number of female characters is due to me being a woman in the game (my son's choice, as well as her being named after a donut!) or if that's the default balance. Either way, it's nice to have a good range of representations of women in use here.

Getting to grips with the combat but feel like I'm missing a real sense of control. Not helped by my having not got very far in Pillars after hitting a game breaking bug. That's since been patched out but I haven't had a chance to revisit it. 

Anyway, this is hitting all the old Baldur's Gate buttons with me. Looking forward to seeing what others make of it.

Started playing at 21:00, dragged myself away at 02:00, having barely scratched the surface; four hours* spent building a character, going through the (very enjoyable) choose-your-own-adventure prologue to set the state of the region and your role in it, then the first combat area and finally exploring the first town.

Really, really enjoying it so far, Obsidian on fine form in terms of world building and, of course, conversations, but I'm even really enjoying the levelling system and combat.

The only disappointment so far has been that the initial two core factions aren't quite the shades of grey I was hoping for, instead seeming to offer only a split between noble bigots and cackling pantomime evil. Fun, but not exactly subtle; so far at least.

*I had to break for an hour in the middle

You'll have to ask me again when I'm further through to see if it becomes overly easy by the end like POE; all I can say this distance in is that, well, it feels like every other semi-realtime isometric CRPG since Baldur's Gate!

I've not got very far yet but an interesting thing I've found is that I'm finding it really hard to just blindly favour one side or the other.  In many similar games I'd end up picking a faction and then sticking with them regardless of how stupid they were.  This is making me actually think about choices and trying to choose the best option for my character and ignoring factions.  Which is good.

Really struggling to stick with a character though.  I have started 4 different characters already and think I'm going to start a 5th.  Definitely think mages are the most fun so far.

Glad others are getting on with this now. I stuck with my ranger character build since I was playing to a review/impressions deadline but the companions have filled the gaps in my abilities pretty well.

A longer version of my early impressions can be read at http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2016/11/11/early-impressions-of-tyranny-does-it-trump-reality/ if you're so inclined. Finished Act 1 and looking forward to it opening up a bit now.