Tyranny - new RPG announced by Obsidian

drkbfhmmr

For those interested, 365games have the physical version of the Commander Edition (including a 60 page artbook and OST) for £28. It's out on Tuesday. £7 cheaper than steam and it comes with a 60 page physical artbook (and possibly a physical OST although I think that's just digital, even if it does say CD). I was going to wait to buy this but fuck it, I'm in :D

Commander Edition includes:

60 Page full colour printed art book (physical item).

Original soundtrack CD.

Plus pre-order now and get ‘Fatebinder’s Seal & Commander’s Will’ (in-game items)

So, I played another...five or so hours last night; just enough to get to the point where the prologue has begun its climax. I'm really digging the levelling system; my sneaky dual-wielding ice mage has been a delight for role-playing, their mix of Lore, Subterfuge and Athletics giving them some real range in conversations. Having the occasional dialogue exclusive to their Conquest/background is pretty nifty too. Meanwhile the spell crafting continues to be very enjoyable (as someone who typically hates crafting mechanics, this joins Persona's fusions as one of the few implementations that I've enjoyed), and I've also been enjoying your teammates' team-up options.

I am slightly worried that I may have pissed off one of the factions more than is reversible (I've definitely pissed off another that point, but I intended to), which is great! Obsidian still excel at dialogue and consequence, and combining that with you in a role as official arbiter of justice is just perfect.

So yeah, really digging it at the moment!

This has got to have one of the most impressive openings to any RPG ever. Within minutes I'm making far-reaching, difficult decisions about how I conquered the land which will have ramifications on how the entire game plays out; was I merciful, or bloodthirsty? Did I side with tradition, or was I pragmatic when faced with the realities of war? Did I favour one of my two, completely distinct armies over the other? Proper interesting stuff and none of them really obviously 'good' or 'bad'.

There is some really nice quality of life stuff, too, such as important names, factions or places being highlighted in orange during conversations. Clicking on these takes you to a lorebook entry for that person/place that fills in the blanks. Simple yet clever and most welcome.

Can't wait to get stuck in.

9 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

This is fantastic - why aren't more people playing it? I've just finished Act 1 and I've enjoyed it immensely.

It released the same day as Dishonored 2, and, I think, Planet Coaster; a week after Call of Duty; two weeks after Titanfall 2; three weeks after Civ 6.

Also, I've not managed to return to Pillars of Eternity after Act Two yet, and have now forgotten the controls.

15 minutes ago, Zael said:

I'm playing it and loving it. Finding it better than Pillars in almost every way.

Same. In fact, trying to go back to pillars for the umpteenth time is what alerted me to this, and it's going to be even harder to play pillars now as a result, although I am going to try. 

There are so many decisions to be made at almost every turn, each with immediate and far reaching consequences...I often dither on what to pick, trying to second guess what might happen as a result far more than I do in games such as mass effect, dragons age etc. Great stuff. 

Yeah the writing is great. Sucks you in immediately. The combat has been a nice surprise too. It was kinda panned in the reviews but I feel that it's stripped a lot of the fluff from Pillars and has benefitted greatly from it.

• 3 months later...
On 18/11/2016 at 08:42, footle said:

It released the same day as Dishonored 2, and, I think, Planet Coaster; a week after Call of Duty; two weeks after Titanfall 2; three weeks after Civ 6.

Also, I've not managed to return to Pillars of Eternity after Act Two yet, and have now forgotten the controls.

I've now completed Pillars, and Tyranny.

Tyranny's combat shits all over Pillars - particularly the "build your own spells" approach, though by the end of the game my party, with two spellcasters, was basically just chain-killing everything. The story is kind of what I expected, and obviously leaves a load open for a possible sequel. Allowing you to level up factions by playing nice, and playing nasty, simultaneously was a good idea.

It did feel unnecessarily padded though, and I'm not sure why. You get the feeling there'd be a lot of replayablity (similar to Alpha Protocol) with whole dialogue trees and locations cut out depending on your previous decisions, but I'm not convinced I'm going to go back in for another 20 hours.

Onto Torment!