IGNORED

The Guardian's 25 Hardest Games of All Time

smac

I've finished - 

Demon's Souls

Dark Souls

Ninja Gaiden 2 (Normal difficulty) 

God Hand (Normal difficulty) 

Time Crisis (Playstation version, however many credits that version gives you)

Mushihimesama ( Playstation 2 version, however many credits that version gives you)

Finished via Mame using infinite credits - 

NARC

Smash T.V.

The Simpsons

I  didn't think Battle Garegga was too difficult, but on completing it the game allows the player to view a 'how to' play that showed me I'd been playing it all wrong and abusing the rank system.  That's what makes it such a good game, playable as a traditional shmup way or playing for score makes it a very different game of both counts.  It's adaptive difficult was, and still is, very clever.

I've completed Ninja Gaiden 2 (but on the PS3), The Simpsons (likewise) Fade to Black, God Hand (on Normal) and Time Crisis (once on arcade after sinking nearly a hundred francs in the machine then countless times on PS1).

Out of the rest of the games I only played Ghouls'n Ghost and Super Meat Boy.

Ghouls and Ghosts/Ghosts and Goblins I only ever played in the arcades back in the day, so finishing them at 10p a shot would have bankrupted me!

I have GodHand in my Pile o' Shame on PS2; I intend to get to it soon. I gave up on Rick Dick on ST, and have yet to open my PS3 copy of Dark Souls.

The fact that none of you have said UFO: Enemy Unknown had better be because it's too difficult and not because you haven't played it.

I've completed that, Rick Dangerous, Fade to Black and I've played loads of Dwarf Fortress.

For anyone who can't be bothered to click the link, the list is -

Demon's souls/Dark souls (two games)

Ghosts n Goblins

Ninja gaiden II

God Hand

UFO: enemy unknown (X:com the first)

Fade To Black

NARC

Smash TV

The simpsons (arcade)

Takeshi's Challenge

Rogue

Dwarf Fortress

The Adventures Of Little Ralph

The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble

Mushihimesama

In The Groove

Super Meat Boy

Trials Fusion

Battle Garegga

Rick Dangerous

Shadow of the Beast II

Time Crisis

I Wanna Be the Guy: The Movie: The Game

Weaponlord

Flywrench

I've finished Dark souls, Ninja Gaiden 2 (which I thought was much easier than the first NG- The Xbox one, not the Nes one), God Hand (probably on normal mode, I remember that being really hard), Xcom (no idea what difficulty I was playing on, it was probably one of the easier ones), aand... that's it I think. I've played a few of the other ones.

I guess it's an OK list? I can think of games that are more difficult, but that's mainly because they're horrible pieces of shit that are no fun to play. So is this, for the most part, a good games that are really difficult sort of list?

I have completed a grand total of nothing. I have, however, reached (and been beaten by) the last boss of Shadow of the Beast II; I used a guide printed on the yellow pages of C&VG to get me there. I'm a massive dirty cheat, basically, and even then I still couldn't beat it. 

I never attempted another playthrough.

I have a history of falling at the last hurdle. I have been bested by the final guardians in Diddy Kong Racing, Bangai-O, Bayonetta and Turrican 2.  

I've beaten Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox Original) but the sequel had the most horrific camera I've ever experienced, and I dropped that too. That was tough to take, I was a huge fan of the original (which also had camera problems). Maybe I'll give it another go? 

Hell no. 

14 minutes ago, peeveen said:

Are the Souls games actually that difficult? Or are they just seen as difficult when viewed against the backdrop of modern holdy-hand nonsense?

More 'punishing' than difficult in the Ghosts 'n' Goblins way. You can be killed at the highest levels by the lowest enemies if you're not on your game.

23 minutes ago, peeveen said:

Are the Souls games actually that difficult? Or are they just seen as difficult when viewed against the backdrop of modern holdy-hand nonsense?

I'd compare the difficulty to the hardest selectable difficulty in other Japanese action games. Most people think they get harder on NG+ but I found the opposite to be true, things get easier after you learn the patterns and exploits. 

I find most 16-bit side scrollers to be much more difficult, as well as the locked difficulties on Capcom/Platinum stuff. 

It's cute of them to give God Hand a mention. I've not played that yet. 

49 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

I guess it's an OK list? I can think of games that are more difficult, but that's mainly because they're horrible pieces of shit that are no fun to play. So is this, for the most part, a good games that are really difficult sort of list?

The presence of Rick Dangerous blows that out the water.

I was reading a blog which covers early PC RPGs – my life has become almost completely worthless – and pretty much all of them sound preposterously difficult. This is the first puzzle in Wizardry IV:

Another major example that seriously hinders unfamiliar players is the seemingly impossible task of exiting the very first room. The only way out is a hidden door which may be revealed by casting a "light" spell called "Milwa". The only way to do this is to recruit a group of Priests. This seemingly-simple task is made unintuitive due to the lack of any evidence that there is a door to begin with; the necessity of recruiting a group of Clerics, which are ineffective in combat and take the place of effective combat recruits; and the need to enter combat until the Clerics cast this spell. There is no suggestion in the context of the game as to what Milwa or any other Cleric spell name means; only players familiar with prior Wizardry games would understand its function. To a player unfamiliar with these earlier Wizardry titles, it would seem that the Clerics cast a useless spell. Furthermore, the Milwa/Light spell eventually expires, meaning that there is a limited time to find the door once the spell is cast.

In addition, it’s an RPG with no experience points, there are enemies that can kill you with one hit, or steal items that are vital to completing the game. It sounds almost unbelievably shit, and a perfect example of the nerdy cavity that computer RPGs were busy sealing themselves into in the early 1980s; you couldn’t even play Wizardry 2 or 3 unless you’d completed the previous game in the series.

I wouldn't say Smash TV or The Simpsons are "hardest of all time"-level hard, and Rick Dangerous is more about learning when the traps spring than anything else.

Alien Soldier should be on the list though, and maybe Battletoads, if only for the "Turbo Tunnel" level.