IGNORED

PS4 Pro

labarte

3 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Anyone tried Trackmania on the pro with boost enabled? Seemed to be getting stuttering issues last night since the latest beta update 

Which beta you on? 2 or 3? No idea if it makes a difference but there was a beta 3 release yesterday or the day before.

6 hours ago, Simmy said:

Get the Pro. Boost mode on Just Cause 3/The Witcher is enough to show just how much more capable the machine is than the standard PS4.

Hmmm the more I here about the Pro the less I like it, how long until some Devs don't optimise properly for the base PS4.

7 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Hmmm the more I here about the Pro the less I like it, how long until some Devs don't optimise properly for the base PS4.

You don't like it?

Get the PS4 base model then. No one is forcing you.

7 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

At 720p only. You can select a few options for graphics and performance. But if you want rock solid 60fps with Nioh on a stock PS4, you're stuck at 720p.

Mostly, but it does go up to 900p at times. And I wasn't disputing that the Pro is better, just that it's an example of great optimisation rather than lots of games which just run like garbage on the base PS4 (Last Guardian, etc).

12 minutes ago, Rushy said:

That's not how most dev works in general - you seem to have a very pessimistic point of view of us.

The addition of the PS Pro won't affect the quality of base PS4 releases. You typically work from the base spec and then scale upwards, not the other way around.

quite.

And if you've got 90% PS4s and 10% PS4pro (or whatever the ratio is) you develop for the largest market.

(Unless MS offer you moneyhats and then you go (timed) exclusive on their platform.)

We had these arguments when the Pro was announced, but I think at that stage people were assuming Sony would be pushing the Pro in place of the base model, which hasn't really happened. Pro owners are presumably a tiny fraction of PS4 users and it seems likely to stay that way. I think I read somewhere that Sony makes more money per unit on the base hardware than the Pro. The Pro is really only there to keep enthusiasts from migrating over to PC.

We'll still have games than run like ass on base hardware, like Just Cause 3, but we'd have them one way or another.

16 minutes ago, Flub said:

If you've used the Neogaf burner account to update to the beta firmware do you need to use it again to update to beta 3? When I checked my system updates with my regular account it offered me an "upgrade" to 4.05.

Yeah you do, but they've changed the password.

3 hours ago, Rushy said:

That's not how most dev works in general - you seem to have a very pessimistic point of view of us.

The addition of the PS Pro won't affect the quality of base PS4 releases. You typically work from the base spec and then scale upwards, not the other way around.

No not really, that's why I put some devs.However there are cowboys in all walks of life, if the number of Pros reaches a certain level then you'd imagine it could be tempting for some, even if it's just to get it out the door on time to be patched later.

I just don't agree with the Pro in general but as previously mentioned no one is forced to buy one yet on purchase of an original PS4 most probably assumed they'd be able to play PS4 games at the same quality as everyone else. As long as the quality standard of base PS4 games remains or preferably increases over the life of the console (as is the normal way) then I'll be happy.

The way the console optimisation cycle goes is usually you start ok/poorly, git gud during the middle late stage and by the end, you're back to being shit as you push it too far or attempt ill advised ports from the successor machines. We should be in the git gud part of the cycle about now, been enough years to learn some of the more interesting tricks by now.

just took delivery of my Pro from ShopTo - saw it was out of stock most places but spotted they had in on Friday

nice feature to do the swap over from your old PS4 and seems to be working very nicely so far, which makes a change for this sort of thing.

got a 5h wait now to copy over 200gb of data over my home network.

On 2/17/2017 at 09:10, Rushy said:

you seem to have a very pessimistic point of view of us.

While there are lots of examples of games which get it right - and with the added caveat that game development isn't a walk in the park - it's relatively easy to see why gamers are pessimistic. There are lots of big budget games out there which run poorly on base hardware - and this has been the case even before the Pro.

14 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

There are lots of big budget games out there which run poorly on base hardware - and this has been the case even before the Pro.

Such as?

I mean Last Guardian had some issues, but nothing game breaking.  Just Cause obvs.

I think you are massively overstating that "lots" of big budget games run poorly.

11 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Such as?

I mean Last Guardian had some issues, but nothing game breaking.  Just Cause obvs.

I think you are massively overstating that "lots" of big budget games run poorly.

It depends what standard you're holding them to. I consider anything with frequent deviations from their target framerate to run poorly.

Just off the top of my head:

Assassin's Creed Unity

Fallout 4

Dishonored 2

Battlefield 4

Witcher 3 at launch

Sniper Elite 4

Just Cause 3

Rise of the Tomb Raider has wobbly framerates on Xbox One at least, not sure about PS4.

Dying light's framerate has erratic jumps. Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 have both framerate drops and persistent frame pacing issues.

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

It depends what standard you're holding them to. I consider anything with frequent deviations from their target framerate to run poorly.

Just off the top of my head:

Assassin's Creed Unity

Fallout 4

Dishonored 2

Battlefield 4

Witcher 3 at launch

Sniper Elite 4

Just Cause 3

Rise of the Tomb Raider has wobbly framerates on Xbox One at least, not sure about PS4.

Dying light's framerate has erratic jumps. Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 have both framerate drops and persistent frame pacing issues.

This list is crazy. It's certainly not a list of "Big budget games that run poorly", and its deffo not "lots".

I think it's entirely unfair to suggest that a game that dips to, say 25fps on occasion, when the target is 30 fps constitutes "poorly" performing software.

2 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

This list is crazy. It's certainly not a list of "Big budget games that run poorly", and its deffo not "lots".

They're big budget games which all have sustained, large drops in framerate, frame pacing issues or wildly fluctuating framerates (see also: inFamous before they implemented a 30fps cap).

5fps when your target is 30fps is a 15% drop in performance.

And as I mentioned, it's just a list of games off the top of my head. There's loads more which you can argue about the budget but they perform pretty poorly on console (Firewatch, Broforce, Lords of the Fallen).

I really don't think a sustained 30fps is too much to ask for.

13 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

They're big budget games which all have sustained, large drops in framerate, frame pacing issues or wildly fluctuating framerates (see also: inFamous before they implemented a 30fps cap).

5fps when your target is 30fps is a 15% drop in performance.

And as I mentioned, it's just a list of games off the top of my head. There's loads more which you can argue about the budget but they perform pretty poorly on console (Firewatch, Broforce, Lords of the Fallen).

I really don't think a sustained 30fps is too much to ask for.

I'm not at all senstive to a 5 fps drop here and there. It really doesn't bother me. I guess it does bother you. But I would take issue with your claim "gamers" en masse hold a pessimistic view of developers.

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 19:32, HarryBizzle said:

rather than lots of games which just run like garbage on the base PS4 (Last Guardian, etc).

I mean this is just cobblers. its doesn't run like "garbage" at all. It has some slow down, its doesn't break the game.

You have a habit of over egging the omlette.