PS4 Pro

labarte

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 17:37, JPickford said:

Vanilla is black.

Ya think?

We've been down this road many times before, for whenever I've posited this or that word you've always been there to shoot me down. Pedantic much? It's the reason I've let bygones be bygones or otherwise couldn't be arsed because life is too short to be called out on my shortfalls (or pratfalls) after five decades. In respect of choosing the 'right' word or whatever vibes with your definition of vanilla, I've simply dialled up dictionary.com (a repository of words available to anyone).

Word origin and history for vanilla

n. 1660s, from Spanish vanilla "vanilla plant", literally "little pod", diminutive of vaina "sheath", from Latin vagina "sheath" (see vagina). So called from the shape of pods. European discovery 1521 by Hernando Cortes' soldiers on reconnaissance in southeastern Mexico meaning "conventional of ordinary sexual preferences" is 1970s, from "notion of whiteness and the common choice of vanilla ice cream."

So yeah, I've chosen a vanilla white console. Whether or not you agree with the definition or origin is hardly worth losing sleep over. It's the reason I keep my tongue in cheek whenever visiting these 'holier-than-thou' forums.

9 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Vanilla, as a colour, is roughly a pale yellow. This sort of thing:

IMG_0803.thumb.JPG.77fee9fc31753525687e51cb17862ee3.JPG

I reckon a PS4 would look sick in actual vanilla. 

Also, what the fuck is going on here?

Edit: boom.

Van_PS4.thumb.jpg.92c870b4f29c0da5542f0e7b704dd43c.jpg

That's what Dreamcasts and Super Nintendos look like now! I love it!

9 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Certainly looks like someone has been sick. 

10 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

do one in pantone 360U please?

• 2 weeks later...

My PS4 Pro had serious trouble with the Destiny 2 Beta - it would continually freeze in the opening single player mission, and despite reinstalling the beta, reinitializing the console, and turning boost mode off it would always do this after several tries. After some googling (notably this thread https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/229162074?sort=0&page=0 which led me to this http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=193978) I have secured a replacement from Amazon (after their initial attempt to direct me to Sony led to a sternly worded email mentioning the Consumer Rights Act).

So one possibility is that there is a number of faulty PS4 Pros out there that seem to work fine apart from a certain number of titles (ROTTR - including the demo, Diablo 3 - which I don't have, and now the D2 beta) stress the GPU so much that it can't cope, although other things are fine. Another possibility is that these titles have some sort of software issue, but why would this only affect certain units?

Anyway one test appears to be to download the ROTTR demo and play it in 4K mode. This would invariably cause my console to freeze, which is why I'm getting it replaced. Or it could all be a coincidence of course.

Bought in February, so five or six months. Some people in the Bungie forums have said it's happening on their newly bought machines (though that doesn't necessarily mean newly manufactured of course) but others have said replacing their machines stops it happening (and the ROTTR demo works, etc.). It does seem to be an exclusively Pro issue. 

On 7/23/2017 at 20:29, The Boatman said:

My PS4 Pro had serious trouble with the Destiny 2 Beta - it would continually freeze in the opening single player mission, and despite reinstalling the beta, reinitializing the console, and turning boost mode off it would always do this after several tries. After some googling (notably this thread https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/229162074?sort=0&page=0 which led me to this http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=193978) I have secured a replacement from Amazon (after their initial attempt to direct me to Sony led to a sternly worded email mentioning the Consumer Rights Act).

So one possibility is that there is a number of faulty PS4 Pros out there that seem to work fine apart from a certain number of titles (ROTTR - including the demo, Diablo 3 - which I don't have, and now the D2 beta) stress the GPU so much that it can't cope, although other things are fine. Another possibility is that these titles have some sort of software issue, but why would this only affect certain units?

Anyway one test appears to be to download the ROTTR demo and play it in 4K mode. This would invariably cause my console to freeze, which is why I'm getting it replaced. Or it could all be a coincidence of course.

Wow damn, glad you're getting it fixed. What is ROTTR?

2 hours ago, The Boatman said:

Replacement Pro arrived - plays the Rise of the Tomb Raider demo fine, too late now to test the Destiny 2 beta obviously. So the ROTTR demo seems to be a useful test for Pro hardware. 

I'm a bit scared as I don't want to have to take it back, also I hated that bloody game! Guess I should check though

Tomb Raider demo downloading.

Half of me hopes it borks my Pro too, as despite it being sat completely in the open and on some little (about 1cm high) rubber feet to help give it some extra breathing space mines a bit loud to say the least. An extended play on Nex (which I guess does have quite a bit going on in it) has it blowing like mad and whilst I've not got my launch machine to check them back to back I'd say the sound levels are similar.

Anyone else having the same with theirs?