IGNORED

PS4 Pro

labarte

Im not averse to anyone spending cash on shiny new gaming gear, but you'll get zero benefit from the downsampling if your tvs that old. Leme guess, old samsung set? I'm sure you're aware that 720p sets arent even that, theyre 1366x768 or something, so your picture isn't half going through a mangle.

I would honestly get combing gumtree for a local 1080p panny plasma, g10,20,30 series or something..I've seen them go for 100 quid, grab a 2nd hand C chassis ps4 and you'll get WAY more of a dramatic increase in your experience than plonking 350 quid down on a pro.   I imagine your set is 32" or so too, those pannys are 42", so you're getting an insane boost in fidelity, real estate. I would totally do it that way man, this time next week you could have a transformed gaming setup for very little cash.

I've been lucky in that the 360 will output a native 1360x768 over HDMI if it's connected to the "PC" port. Very crisp.  But yeah, I will need to upgrade my set some time around when I upgrade my PS4, because it doesn't do that and 1080p on this thing introduces a fair bit of ringing.

Buying a second hand console is off the table for me. I like being able to save up and say I've been able to get myself something new and swish. Not necessarily the latest and greatest, but mine, you now?

So what I've been looking at is:

1) Get a cheap original flavour PS4 if they still exist

2) Get a new model PS4, either slim or Pro.

For option 2 the Slim's a bit of an odd one, given how close it is in price. Is paying the extra for a Pro worth it in the long run?

8 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I've been lucky in that the 360 will output a native 1360x768 over HDMI if it's connected to the "PC" port. Very crisp.  But yeah, I will need to upgrade my set some time around when I upgrade my PS4, because it doesn't do that and 1080p on this thing introduces a fair bit of ringing.

Buying a second hand console is off the table for me. I like being able to save up and say I've been able to get myself something new and swish. Not necessarily the latest and greatest, but mine, you now?

For option 2 the Slim's a bit of an odd one, given how close it is in price. Is paying the extra for a Pro worth it in the long run?

Pro has a USB port on the back,  get a pro

Nioh's Pro options.

PS4 Pro, HD display. Option 1: "Movie Mode" Stable 1920×1080 resolution with high quality anti-aliasing at 30fps

PS4 Pro, HD display. Option 2: "Action Mode" Stable 1920×1080 resolution at 60fps

PS4 Pro, 4K display. Option 1: "Movie Mode" Stable 3840×2160 resolution at 30fps

PS4 Pro, 4K display. Option 2: "Action Mode" Stable 1920×1080 resolution at 60fps

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-03-niohs-ps4-pro-perks-outlined

So for a 1080p TV there is a benefit when opting for 1080/30 over 1080/60, but if you want 60fps, then there's no difference in the performance between a HD and UHD TV.

9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

pretty sure that res you're outputting screws up with the aspect ratio, someone like you should really have a nice 1080p set by now over hdmi.

Ive got a 1080p set, 400 quid credit with GAME, love new tech and the ps4 is my fave console since the ps1, but ive still not preordered a pro. I want to see how it is in peoples hands, supersampling and a few frame rate boosts are not convincing me to part with 350 yet.

My OG PS4 has been traded into CEX for £140 and I already have £210 in vouchers from trading in useless tat at CEX that I couldn't be fucked to ebay. Guess I'll be getting a Pro as soon as they get one in near me!

But if you were going to buy a new PS4 anyway, then a Pro makes a lot more sense at £100 more than a slim.

GAME are doing a PS4 Slim with Titanfall 2, Battlefront and 3 months Now TV for £239.99 at the moment. Quidco of £6 and around £5 in reward points as well.

8 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

But if you were going to buy a new PS4 anyway, then a Pro makes a lot more sense at £100 more than a slim. 

Yeah I think buying an old one at this point would be a mistake. Pro has twice the gpu grunt for 100 pounds more. You can get the TV later. Or just wait and buy everything together but I would not buy an old PS4 at this point if you care enough about games to be a forum member. 

17 minutes ago, Oz said:

Yeah I think buying an old one at this point would be a mistake. Pro has twice the gpu grunt for 100 pounds more. You can get the TV later. Or just wait and buy everything together but I would not buy an old PS4 at this point if you care enough about games to be a forum member. 

What in the actual fuck ?

9 hours ago, angel said:

pretty sure that res you're outputting screws up with the aspect ratio, someone like you should really have a nice 1080p set by now over hdmi.

Ive got a 1080p set, 400 quid credit with GAME, love new tech and the ps4 is my fave console since the ps1, but ive still not preordered a pro. I want to see how it is in peoples hands, supersampling and a few frame rate boosts are not convincing me to part with 350 yet.

It's definitely 1:1 pixel mapping - those missing pixels on the edges are just black. Which is why I should have a 1080p set for everything else of course. 

5 minutes ago, Pob said:

Are there any improvements to the DualShock? Is the unit much quieter than a launch PS4?

I presume it'll be one of the newer controllers with the lightbar strip above the touch pad, which will hopefully improve tracking the Dualshock 4 in VR when you angle it down.

3 minutes ago, murray said:

It's all about possible PSVR improvements for me.

Same here. I got Bound yesterday, which already looks totally spiffing on the standard PS4 + VR, the devs saying they'll be able to improve on that makes me pretty intrigued/excited to see the difference. 

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

It's definitely 1:1 pixel mapping - those missing pixels on the edges are just black. Which is why I should have a 1080p set for everything else of course. 

Thats still screwing up the aspect ratio though man.   I would say in your situation a new TV is essential, and works with all of your devices. The PS Pro is nigh on pointless unless you absolutely must have a ps4 right now for a specific game (which you should own btw, last guardian is 1 month away and the console is stuffed with essentials).  Oh and while I'm on, you should be getting hyper light drifter (going off your taste and enjoyment of axion verge).

57 minutes ago, Pob said:

Are there any improvements to the DualShock? Is the unit much quieter than a launch PS4?

The dualshock is definitely as quiet as the launch one.

I wouldn't get too hopeful for a silent machine, it's double the GPU and a significant CPU upclock, any gains in cooling tech will be lost helping out that lot.

I agree with Angel, the jump from smeared 720 to crystal 1080 is rediculous, my stepdad has his PS4 set up on a 2008 720p Hitachi and compared to my 5 year old 1080p Panasonic it looks like it's from a different era, buying a Pro console to connect to a 720p display to me reminds me of people that used to drop £300+ on xbox 360 consoles and ask if we had any RF switches to tune them in, i.e bonkers.