IGNORED

PS4 Pro

labarte

42 minutes ago, Phil said:

The problem with LCD still is motion resolution. 300 or so lines resolved during motion versus 1080 on a plasma.

It's not as simple as that though, and pixel response time is much more important, it doesn't actually render an image at 300 lines vertical, it's just saying it's a 300 line motion resolution is a simplistic way of defining sample and hold, plasma flashes every frame which means you get more fluid motion, some LCD's strobe the backlight to give the same impression as essentially it holding the frame for 1/50th of a second and then displaying the next full frame, which can mean you may get a slight smearing effect for example when a football is panning across the screen but this would appear smooth on the plasma, however on OLED TV's you get the same sort of effect as Plasma because of the improved pixel response time.

for every benefit each display tech has they all come with a plethora of issues, including plasma and oled, but the motion resolution of a 4K OLED is more like 1200 lines if you use the same definition.

Either way, you wont ever look at 4K HDR on a high end TV and say a Plasma looks better.

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

As the general ps4 thread is a bit barren now, I'm posting this here, make sure you grab the free Rez Infinite theme, it's amazing and the tune is fantastic

15202504_10154594779120803_7987242845225

I didn't find it super easy to find so here's a link:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/themes/area-x-dynamic-theme/cid=EP0748-CUSA06338_00-REZINFINITETHEM2

9 hours ago, gooner4life said:

It's not as simple as that though, and pixel response time is much more important, it doesn't actually render an image at 300 lines vertical, it's just saying it's a 300 line motion resolution is a simplistic way of defining sample and hold, plasma flashes every frame which means you get more fluid motion, some LCD's strobe the backlight to give the same impression as essentially it holding the frame for 1/50th of a second and then displaying the next full frame, which can mean you may get a slight smearing effect for example when a football is panning across the screen but this would appear smooth on the plasma, however on OLED TV's you get the same sort of effect as Plasma because of the improved pixel response time.

for every benefit each display tech has they all come with a plethora of issues, including plasma and oled, but the motion resolution of a 4K OLED is more like 1200 lines if you use the same definition.

Either way, you wont ever look at 4K HDR on a high end TV and say a Plasma looks better.

Yeah I realise that motion resolution figures are just a way to represent perceived resolution during motion, but my own experience with LCD has always been that it looks great when it's static and very smeary when moving. To be fair I've not demoed a good 4K set, so perhaps backlight strobing and black frame insertion have improved smearing greatly in recent years, and I used to see yellow flashes on plasma's until the latter Panasonic's, so perhaps I'm more susceptible to temporal artefacts than other people. I don't doubt that 4K (depending on your viewing distance/screen size) and HDR add a great deal to the experience, so if smearing is less of an issue now I'm glad because my next TV, when I need to buy one, is going to have to be LCD or OLED :D

8 hours ago, Uzi said:

Didn't arrive today so no news to post :(

Plus was too busy playing native 4K PC games :) (Deus Ex/Doom/Gears of War 4 all look incredible at 4k) and watching Amazon HDR content

Also been reading this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-hdmi-q-one-connector-world/2016401-hdmi-cables-support-4k-60hz-4-4-4-chroma-deep-color-39.html

Tried reading that and my head started to ache.

19 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

So I pulled the trigger on a Pro :D

I have a 2tb drive in my PS4, but want to stick the old 500gb in it before I sell it and use the 2tb in the Pro. Can anyone talk me through the process (or link me to the process) please? Do I need to deactivate my old PS4? Is it the same process to swap the HDs over in a PRo as with the vanilla PS4? Also, I seem to recall reading somewhere about adding the saves only after re-installing the games - is this a thing? Feeling bit daunted by the whole process...

Thanks.

You're going to need a 3rd drive, ideally, you could use the 1tb one from the pro for this.

• go into settings, file management, and reduce your installs down to a level you have the capacity to backup (I used a spare 500gb drive, so I reduced mine to about 300gb)
  • deactivate the ps4 as your main one
  • take your 3rd drive, format it as exFAT (you might need to put it to fat32 first if it's NTFS, I had to on one of mine)
  • plug this drive into your ps4, go to settings, file management, backup, and run the backup to USB device
  • let it run for the few hours it will take, remembering this backs up ALL your settings, preferences, themes, saves, installs and share factory videos. It's excellent.
  • remove this drive and guard it with your life.

Now reverting your ps4 back to factory sellable conditions

• put your blank 500gb hdd back in, switch on ps4 by holding power button til it beeps once
  • this is called money ba...sorry, safe mode, initialise your ps4 and install firmware
  • do this with an exFAT formatted USB thumb drive with this file on it, inside PS4\UPDATE
  • machine will install latest firmware, reboot, then be back to a blank tradable state, asking USER1 to sign in.

Now for your new machine

• put your 2tb drive into it, formatting your previous stuff off it is irrelevant, ps4 will sort it - unscrew the hatch on the back and slot it in.
  • switch on, it should come up with a PRESS PS BUTTON TO START
  • use your thumb drive with the update on to install it on this machine too, and reach a state similar to the last steps, and sign in as USER1
  • plug your backed up drive into the Pro, go to settings - backup and restore and choose restore from backup
  • give your drive 30 seconds to spin up, mine quite scarily didnt recognise it at 1st.
  • Now this will restore your Pro to the same state as your old machine, settings and all, and will take the same time it took to back the old one up.
  • Activate as primary PS4

Done!

16 hours ago, gooner4life said:

Sorry mate but that's nonsense, if you think a panny plasma looks better than a top end 4K TV with HDR then you desperately need some glasses, or if you have glasses you need better ones.

It really isnt, it's all opinions isnt it anyway. But my reasons (I have great eyesight btw) are legit. Obviously it was in a shop so I'm not dismissing those sets completely, but I was expecting a bit more of a wow from it. The thing is, my panny (ST50) looks proper amazing, inky blacks, popping colours...playing Rocket League on it with those luscuious oranges, greens and blues etc...it looks amazing.

The 9000 had a nice resolution, sure. The greys were very flat, the blacks were decent but not as good as plasma (of course, expected). The picture didn't pop at all, it was quite flat. The HDR added a bit of extra contrast, something like localised extra brightness on certain little lens flares and whatnot but nothing spectacular.  The motion was just below what I would expect, full stop. I remember 5 years ago when I went from LCD to panny plasma g10, 2 things blew me away. The grittiness of the picture, and the incredible motion compared to LCD. I had hoped after 5 years the gap would have closed so much as to be very minor, but as soon as this set started moving, panning, etc I remember literally gasping. The guy was like "incredible isn't it sir", when actually my reaction was more like my god, that's bad.

So I had a good play, it was ok, I'm sure in my house and set to my full preferences it would be a nice set. I like the detail of 4k resolution, but to be honest..I don't actually crave more detail than a native 1080p, that's more than enough for me. And that motion, no thank you, I would find it difficult to have a TV set that cost me (for the 9000 series) a grand and a half and have it perform (in the ways I want) in an inferior manner to what it was replacing. If there's one thing I've learned in tech, when something is good, you don't replace it on a whim, because there are small details, intangibles that you dont consider, than you can find yourself coming unstuck with. Like my panny has a gamma adjust, I like the S-curve setting. Does the sammy allow this equivalent? Does it have a "cool" mode that mirrors what I'm used to? The legs on the non curved model are little tiny ones on the far left and right sides of the set, so you can't swivel it on a central base. There are all of these little things to consider, as well as the big thing of paying, say, 900 quid for the 7000 series and feeling like you made a mistake.

Very interested in all the reports, uzi's posts are very good, I just know what I like, and I know that at the moment I can't risk it. I love my TV, I love how RL, COD etc look on it..inky blacks, popping colours, imperceptible lag, fantastic motion. When you change a component so key to your gaming life, it can be a really hard adjustment. Even getting my ps4 pro fucked up my wifi for a week till I turned off 5hz, and the pad was all stiff, needing to be worn in. So after my 170 quid outlay and trade in on it, that night I was sat there with a broken Rocket League and a pad than felt stiff and uncomfy. I thought..oh man...I've fucked up here. So yeah...if I had a 32" 720p old set from years ago, Id be all over the 7000 series. But I don't, I love my set, so not quite yet.  Maybe in spring for 600 quid, and I'd like the curved one for a change, and for the superior stand.

1 hour ago, angel said:

You're going to need a 3rd drive, ideally, you could use the 1tb one from the pro for this.

• go into settings, file management, and reduce your installs down to a level you have the capacity to backup (I used a spare 500gb drive, so I reduced mine to about 300gb)
  • deactivate the ps4 as your main one
  • take your 3rd drive, format it as exFAT (you might need to put it to fat32 first if it's NTFS, I had to on one of mine)
  • plug this drive into your ps4, go to settings, file management, backup, and run the backup to USB device
  • let it run for the few hours it will take, remembering this backs up ALL your settings, preferences, themes, saves, installs and share factory videos. It's excellent.
  • remove this drive and guard it with your life.

Now reverting your ps4 back to factory sellable conditions

• put your blank 500gb hdd back in, switch on ps4 by holding power button til it beeps once
  • this is called money ba...sorry, safe mode, initialise your ps4 and install firmware
  • do this with an exFAT formatted USB thumb drive with this file on it, inside PS4\UPDATE
  • machine will install latest firmware, reboot, then be back to a blank tradable state, asking USER1 to sign in.

Now for your new machine

• put your 2tb drive into it, formatting your previous stuff off it is irrelevant, ps4 will sort it - unscrew the hatch on the back and slot it in.
  • switch on, it should come up with a PRESS PS BUTTON TO START
  • use your thumb drive with the update on to install it on this machine too, and reach a state similar to the last steps, and sign in as USER1
  • plug your backed up drive into the Pro, go to settings - backup and restore and choose restore from backup
  • give your drive 30 seconds to spin up, mine quite scarily didnt recognise it at 1st.
  • Now this will restore your Pro to the same state as your old machine, settings and all, and will take the same time it took to back the old one up.
  • Activate as primary PS4

Done!

Cheers Angel, you're a star! :) 

Looks like my Saturday sorted then...

9 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Sorry, didn't see that. I do generally skim your posts as they are quite long.

talk about passive aggressive zinging :P  I wouldn't judge a set from a store feed and store brightness mode.

3 minutes ago, Jazz Glands said:

Cheers Angel, you're a star! :) 

Looks like my Saturday sorted then...

I found it a pain, even with a spare hdd, spare thumb drive, Y splitter cable for usb drive with caddy to put old ps4 drive in, computer to download stuff and format drives on..its still a PITA. I had to laugh, thinking even with all of my gear, the amount of pitfalls involved (drives not formatting, certain thumb drives not working on the ps4, the need for exFAT on everything, needing a hdd caddy etc etc etc), I thought bloody hell, the layperson in the street doesn't have a prayer of managing this.

I've a Viera plasma, replaced it last year with a Samsung 4k HDR panel (although I still have the Panasonic). I'll have to go against the RLLMUK plasma defense force and say the Samsung is on a whole different level to the Viera. Even before the Pro my original PS4 and Xbox One absolutely shone on the Samsung. The vibrancy was light years ahead of what I was used to. The colours and clarity are a whole different level. It's such a bright picture and every source I've tried was improved. This includes my Sky HD box and Apple TV. Latency is also really low in regard to gaming. 

I'm a keen follower of AV Forums so I generally keep an eye on the owners threads for my TV's. So before anyone goes on about calibration I've a decent idea of what I'm doing! 

So I have two high speed HDMI cables arriving today (just in case) and the first one is here. Second one arriving today.

No difference. Same issue. So I believe it is a hardware problem. Fuck. Before people keep mentioning the firmware, it has nothing to do with firmware. The firmware is irrelevant as the TV as it is a HDMI handshake issue and there is no recent or even older firmware that fixed an issue with HDMI 2.0 signals not being received - it is a core element of the TV obviously. The TV receives HDMI 1.4 signals fine - which is why 4K/60hz at 4:2:0 works for both the PS4 Pro and my PC and is a HDMI 1.4 standard signal. HDMI UHD Color is the option in Samsung TV's to basically enable the port to receive the full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 signal which allows 4/60hz at 4:4:4 or 10 bit colour/HDR. The issue is when I turn the option on, the TV doesn't register the signal. 

This is leading me to believe the issue is the One Connect Box or the panel itself - I can't say for sure but probably the former. FYI Geldra bought the same model TV the same time as me on the same firmware and his works fine with the PS4 Pro and HDR so I think I just got some faulty hardware with the HDMI signal interface - the box or the TV just isn't passing over or handshaking the HDMI 2.0/high bandwidth signal through correctly. Will contact Samsung on Monday to get it replaced or fixed.

Just got off the phone with Samsung support who were running diagnostics on their end. They pretty much said as far as they can see there is a hardware fault. A replacement has been confirmed - hopefully next week.

On 23/11/2016 at 16:52, Ferine said:

Somewhat unfortunate timing on that video, as a patch to increase Pro performance of DE:MK was released today.

From the sounds of it, he isn't planning to bother with another video as he has plenty of other games that need seeing to, so you'll have to make do with some comments from him about what the new patch does instead, Pro now the best console version basically, but still not perfect, which might be more of a fundamental game engine problem only fixable by throwing stupid amounts of power at the problem:

It does seem better, from what I've played, but the trouble spots in the hub are definitely still bad.

I noticed they re-enabled adaptive v-sync which lines up with my theory that forcing v-sync was causing frame-time spikes. Now that they returned to the old method, those spikes seem to have been eliminated.

It is better but still not perfect.

Missions now play similarly to the base PS4, which is mostly a solid 30fps, but the hubs still have issues. It's better overall than the standard PS4, though, so it is an improvement. Those complex areas around Prague are a real pain, though, and still stutter and hitch pretty hard.

The initial Pro patch was overall better, as I noted in the video, but ran slower in some circumstances. With the new patch? It's now better than the base version and a great way to play this beautiful game on consoles.

18 hours ago, Lucky Jim said:

Cool, just for future reference, the easiet way to find theme is to go to settings > themes > scroll to the bottom > "find in playstation store" and it'll take you right to them, in date order.