IGNORED

Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

1 hour ago, ulala said:

You are a little out of date, after an update last year the Super NT jailbreak can support most of the Enhancement chips:

DSP1,2,3,4 support

OBC1 support

ST010, ST011 support

CX4 support

The only ones missing are SFX1 and 2 really, which would be the last addition and that weird decompression one Street Fighter Alpha uses

Oh sweet! I had no idea!

2 hours ago, ulala said:

The only ones missing are SFX1 and 2

weird use of the word "only", like it's no big deal

those are the chips in Stunt Race FX 1 and 2 and Starfoxwing and yoshis island, right?

you mean you can't play those games on a SuperNT?

23 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

You can, just not via ROMs with jailbroken firmware. 

SuperFX and SA1 games aren’t really SNES games anyway!

absolutely correct, they use a bolt on processor 15 times more powerful than the SNES 

it’s a swindle, a swizz 

39 minutes ago, SeanR said:

weird use of the word "only", like it's no big deal

those are the chips in Stunt Race FX 1 and 2 and Starfoxwing and yoshis island, right?

you mean you can't play those games on a SuperNT?

you can play the original carts, no problem. Just not a rom of those games

Hey sorry to barge in,  I was wondering if anybody was interested in playing a 2 player Super Tennis match using the SNES  online "app" on the SwitchI. I have yet to successfully connect with anyone! I asked on the Switch thread but have not managed to arrange anything yet. Sorry if this is not the place to make such requests!

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, strider said:

Super Metroid completed. Took me around 5 and a half hours not including the 8 hour save I lost :lol:

It can be a lot quicker when revisiting, I think my first run all those years ago was in the 11 - 14 hour mark

19 minutes ago, bplus said:

For some reason I can't get into the metroid games. Completely leave me cold. Does super metroid really stand up today like super mario world does?

I played through it to the end for the first time last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.  From memory there was maybe the odd moment of the game that seemed a little vague on what I had to actually do (I know modern games probably hold your hand too much) but overall it was an amazing experience and I probably prefer it to Super Mario World. 

I had my first Super Metroid playthrough a few years ago and totally saw why it's so beloved. Impeccable atmosphere ingenious level design however didn't prevent me from wishing it all over long before it was.

Looking back, I think my Super Metroid experience was the beginning of my intolerance of Metriodvania games in general but I would definitely advise anyone who likes videogames to give it a go.

Super Metroid is currently my 6yo’s favourite game. 

Last year I played it through for the first time ever on the switch SNES app. Then I was just going through some games on my SNES classic and they demanded I fire up the game with the dragon on the box. 

a few hours later and we’re ploughing through trying to save “little larva”. (They’re gonna be gutted when we fight mother brain).  

anyways just got space jump and plasma beam, of to get wave beam and then extract revenge against Ridley for kidnapping little larva in the first place. 

• 3 months later...

I'd like to be able to play some SNES games occasionally, I've been getting the itch every now and then recently, but I don't want to have to get all my games out and all that like I used to. Ideally I'd love a SNES Mini, but they seem to be out of production and I don't want to pay over the original RRP, so that seems to be a no-go.

I've heard about Raspberry Pi and SNES replica cases, but they seem to require some kind of putting together yourself and buying bits separately, are there any that come with everything, or some other SNES Mini alternatives? I don't want to have to piss about too much putting stuff together. Thanks!

4 hours ago, Olly88 said:

I'd like to be able to play some SNES games occasionally, I've been getting the itch every now and then recently, but I don't want to have to get all my games out and all that like I used to. Ideally I'd love a SNES Mini, but they seem to be out of production and I don't want to pay over the original RRP, so that seems to be a no-go.

I've heard about Raspberry Pi and SNES replica cases, but they seem to require some kind of putting together yourself and buying bits separately, are there any that come with everything, or some other SNES Mini alternatives? I don't want to have to piss about too much putting stuff together. Thanks!

A cursory glance at eBay shoud net you a Pi with controllers in a case, loaded with all sorts of ROM's.

I don't agree with the sellers of these pre-made kits,  but I do realise they serve a purpose and would probably be what you want.

11 hours ago, Olly88 said:

You can still pick up the snes mini in random sainsburies and the like. Worth a try.

Thanks for the help and information folks :)

Maybe an official SNES Mini would still be my best bet. I looked on Amazon and saw prices of £150 and up and thought that was going to be the norm, that CEX price is good, and if I can find one in a supermarket sometime even better!

7 minutes ago, Olly88 said:

Thanks for the help and information folks :)

Maybe an official SNES Mini would still be my best bet. I looked on Amazon and saw prices of £150 and up and thought that was going to be the norm, that CEX price is good, and if I can find one in a supermarket sometime even better!

Amazon isupidly expensive market place for harder to find items, it's cheap for run of the mill, but over the eBay prices on rarer stuff.

Keep an eye out on eBay, I have seen genuine SNES Mini Classics on there for £55/60, minus the box,  plus shipping in the last week or so, so they are out there.