IGNORED

Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

3 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

There’s one with a Buy it now of £80 on eBay. Retail was £70 but they stopped producing more last year. 

I saw that one, there are a lot more decently priced ones on eBay than I was expecting so that's good!

3 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Amazon isupidly expensive market place for harder to find items, it's cheap for run of the mill, but over the eBay prices on rarer stuff.

Keep an eye out on eBay, I have seen genuine SNES Mini Classics on there for £55/60, minus the box,  plus shipping in the last week or so, so they are out there.

Yeah it seems like eBay is the way to go, I'll stick to Amazon for more every day things and check eBay for the more collectible stuff.

3 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Handy hint: the Wii classic controllers work with these and the home button works and sends you back to the menu. 

I've never used any of those, how do they compare to SNES controllers?

On 27/07/2020 at 23:58, Ninja Doctor said:

The non pro ones are nice but with oddly squishy shoulder buttons that aren’t analogue but feel like they should be. 

the classic pro controller is godly comfortable and the best thing ever to hold. 

Cool thanks, that's good to know!

I managed to get a Mini from eBay for £55, I'll stick with the SNES controllers for now and stick to what I know, but when I feel like getting a bit crazy I'll look at the Wii ones.

Yoshi's Island - Released (in Japan) 25 years ago today. 

I got this copy about 15 years in a frenzy of Super Famicom purchases from Videogameimports.com and replayed it recently enough. I keep meaning to go back to 100% it but other stuff got in the way. It still looks absolutely amazing!

IMG_5439.thumb.jpeg.a4d65c03e3d10c9c9f1d33382162da86.jpeg

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

I got this copy about 15 years in a frenzy of Super Famicom purchases from Videogameimports.com and replayed it recently enough. I keep meaning to go back to 100% it but other stuff got in the way. It still looks absolutely amazing!

Just keep playing that cart in the console, hands down it's the best game ever :)

8 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

I also have a Japanese copy of this, although that's at my parents at the moment.  Absolutely love the box art and it's probably my favourite SNES game.  I've been playing the PAL version recently.

I have a US NTSC cart I picked up a while back. It's an odd game, I like it, but wouldn't say I love it.  I certainly don't think it's as good as Super Mario World. It feels kind of empty at times, and the focus on collecting 100% of everything means having to do player-unfriendly things like re-do entire levels because the boss managed to hit you once, etc. Also, I maintain that morphing into a helicopter etc is unthematic, Amiga-platformer grade balls.

I love the art style though, and  it's a wonderful demo of how the SuperFX could be used to enhance 2D games. Pity it's the only example of this!

Amiga-platformer grade balls! Sums those sections up well. 

It’s hard to disagree about the problem of 100%ing it. Pretty sure a boss hitting me is why I haven’t been back. 

Ive got to say, I’m not a fan of that aspect of Nintendo games. It’s been Flanderized too as more games are released and not just in the Yoshi franchise.

@MikeBeaver For sure it is! I'm stuck on the Sunken Desert boss at the moment. Can't get the rhythm right to keep healed up while keeping his defence down with water spells and things fall apart really quickly for me :/

10 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Loving the Super NT!

10 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Super Aleste :wub:

19 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

There are people out there who don't think the SNES is the best console of all time. Sends a chill down my spine to think these people are around.

I got it joint first, does that count?

8 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

@phresh SUCH a good shooter. In secondary school me and a mate used to rent that game more than anything else!

Now it’s almost always out of its box and ready to play!

Probably my second favourite retro soundtrack after SOR2! One of the handful of console games i've put on my arcade machine too.

7 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

The Japanese version has a brazenly copyright infringing New Order chiptune medley on one level. :lol: 

Hmm!  Not surprising as loads of Japanese games around that time were lifting tracks.  What track from the game/from New Order?

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

Hmm!  Not surprising as loads of Japanese games around that time were lifting tracks.  What track from the game/from New Order?

Can’t remember the specific levels (I’ll check later), but I definitely remember Fine Time, A Perfect Kiss and Blue Monday (or 586?) recreated, if a bit off-key.

That art style in Yoshi's Island makes it timeless and beautiful, it still holds up.

And the integration of the Super FX 2 chip adds some fascinating effects.

Retro Gamer's recent article on the Making Of Plok puts forward the theory that Shigeru Miyamoto saw Plok's vehicles and it was an influence on Yoshi's Island. I tend to think Miyamoto was already thinking along those lines - riding Yoshi in Super Mario World was the first step, getting a character to ride vehicles (or literally transform into one) was a logical progression. And if you look at subsequent Mario games they all feature sections where the control method changes.