Jump to content

Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread


Recommended Posts

Just as I set this up...

 

sgb2-x7-plus-alpha.thumb.jpg.411a0e9137bd46c9c2a9266feeccf81a.jpg

Unfortunately I'm finding that it's also a bit too tall for my current shelving- is the SmokeMonster care pack what people are using for SGB2 on SD2SNES?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Camel said:

DSP rom files won't work, you need the bin files. They're in a different format so you can't just rename them.

 

Cheers. I managed to "acquire" the proper files, and now it runs beautifully.

 

14 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Just as I set this up...

Unfortunately I'm finding that it's also a bit too tall for my current shelving- is the SmokeMonster care pack what people are using for SGB2 on SD2SNES?

 

Someone provided me with the SGB2 set-up pre-packaged, so I don't know if it's the SmokeMonster care pack. But it runs nicely, it loaded my sav files from my GB emulator on PSP (just rename .sav to .srm), and it seemed fairly stable. Very slight audio clipping on Cave Noire, and Alien 3 wouldn't load, but I'm wondering if I need to tweak something for Alien 3... The Filename was all caps with an underscore.

 

Since you have an actual SGB2 with GB Everdrive, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how they compare, esp. noting the above the two examples, and anything else you've tried.

 

EDIT:
I've just seen that Alien 3 on GB produces an SRM file, despite not actually saving any data. I'm not sure, but I know Puggsy on Mega Drive did the same trick to stop piracy. If the game detects an SRM file it knows it's running on some sort of copy device, and won't load. Most emulators are aware of this, so in the case of Puggsy ignores the SRM file. If A3 does the same trick, it's going to need a manual hack/patch to fix.

 

I'll investigate further and report back.

 

Turns out it was the file name. ALIEN_3.GB didn't load, but Alien 3.gb works fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm using the Smokemonster packs on my FXPAK PRO - I manually added the required files to get the SGB2 working (there are only 2 files needed, but need to have specific names)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been playing through a link to the past. Its been years, i think i might have played some of the GBA version when it was out.

 

Still a fun game, a little frustrating at times (just small things) but going for 100%/ Hoping i'll get it finished later!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Been playing Super Mario Kart. I wish there was more to unlock than special cup and 150cc. It made me return to Super Circuit which is also still excellent but feels a bit too slidey in comparison.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Feels like sacrilege to say it, but the proper 3D Mario Karts (GC onwards, MK64 can do one) have killed the original for me. Too hard to go back to flatland with no sparks. F-Zero doesn't seem to have suffered the same way, but I was never a huge fan of that anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much the opposite for me, the courses in the later ones are all slow and flabby and about 3 times too long so you get maybe 3 laps.

 

And the rubberbanding just became comical to the extent Mario Kart 8, a great multiplayer game, might as well not have a single player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely. The courses on SMK and SC are nice and tight. The huge expanses you plod around in on MK64 are awful in comparison.

 

That said, I do enjoy some of the later ones. MK DS is excellent and I really like MK8 (Wii-U; don't have a Switch). 

 

I've also been enjoying playing Yoshi's Island properly for the first time. It feels very familiar thanks to Yoshi's Woolly World. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I must be one of the few that loves SMK and MK64 in equal measure, and certainly well above the later games in the series. MK64 in particular has come in for a lot of retrospective criticism, but I played through it again recently and the core racing still holds up brilliantly. It's very distinctive amongst the 3D entries, and the biggest part of that is the cart handling - it's tight and weighty, which I find much more satisfying than the floaty handling that Double Dash introduced that has only really been iterated on since. The sense of speed is also better at 150cc in MK64 than other entries (200cc in MK8 exempted), as well as the item balance and implementation of slides/mini-boosts (they got too easy to pull off in later entries).

 

I'll concede that yes many of the tracks are too barren (I'm sure technical limitations had something to do with that), and Rainbow Road is too long and shouldn't have had the barriers, but there are great tracks in there both for interesting gimmicks (Toad's Turnpike, Kalamari Desert, Yoshi Valley, Bowser's Castle) and pure racing challenge (Mario Raceway and Royal Raceway). It's no Double Dash in that regard, which clearly has the best tracks of the entire series, but it's hardly lagging behind the track design from later entries.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

I must be one of the few that loves SMK and MK64 in equal measure, and certainly well above the later games in the series. MK64 in particular has come in for a lot of retrospective criticism, but I played through it again recently and the core racing still holds up brilliantly. It's very distinctive amongst the 3D entries, and the biggest part of that is the cart handling - it's tight and weighty, which I find much more satisfying than the floaty handling that Double Dash introduced that has only really been iterated on since. The sense of speed is also better at 150cc in MK64 than other entries (200cc in MK8 excempted), as well as the item balance and implementation of slides/mini-boosts (they got too easy to pull off in later entries).

 

I'll concede that yes many of the tracks are too barren (I'm sure technical limitations had something to do with that), and Rainbow Road is too long and shouldn't have had the barriers, but there are great tracks in there both for interesting gimmicks (Toad's Turnpike, Kalamari Desert, Yoshi Valley, Bowser's Castle) and pure racing challenge (Mario Raceway and Royal Raceway). It's no Double Dash in that regard, which clearly has the best tracks of the entire series, but it's hardly lagging behind the track design from later entries.

DD is shit, 64 is good, I'm no fan of the original.

 

DS is still the best, Super Circuit was fun, 7, 8 & 8 DX are all great.

 

 

Sorted ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember ever playing MK64 during the N64s heyday (we had Diddy Kong Racing), but all the guest tracks in later versions of Mario Kart have been massive, empty and dull. I've actually correctly guessed certain unknown tracks were from MK64 based on these attributes.

 

I enjoyed the original and Super Circuit a lot back in the day, just find them a tough revisit now. The guest versions of their tracks in later games have been pretty solid though, particularly the Super Circuit ones.

 

I loved DD, never understood the hate; it seems the parent of modern MK to me. Mario Kart DS was also great, but is the most cramp inducing game I've ever played on any platform.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mario Kart DS > Mario Kart 8 > Mario Kart 8 DX > Mario Kart SNES > Mario Kart Wii > Mario Kart Advance > Mario Kart 64 > Mario Kart DD > Mario Kart 7 

 

I think that's how I'd rate them for myself.

 

DS had so much to do with the mission mode too and had some great tracks and multiplayer. It still plays well despite being pretty ugly nowadays.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

I don't remember ever playing MK64 during the N64s heyday (we had Diddy Kong Racing), but all the guest tracks in later versions of Mario Kart have been massive, empty and dull. I've actually correctly guessed certain unknown tracks were from MK64 based on these attributes.

 

I enjoyed the original and Super Circuit a lot back in the day, just find them a tough revisit now. The guest versions of their tracks in later games have been pretty solid though, particularly the Super Circuit ones.

 

I loved DD, never understood the hate; it seems the parent of modern MK to me. Mario Kart DS was also great, but is the most cramp inducing game I've ever played on any platform.

 

Play it on the over sized, original DS ,, it's a charm , although the screen IS shit and not very bright, I've got some ungodly amount of hours played on that due to me and a friend catching the same Park n Ride bus to and from work for a good while, every journey was straight into a race between us and the CPU :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Mario Kart DS > Mario Kart 8 > Mario Kart 8 DX > Mario Kart SNES > Mario Kart Wii > Mario Kart Advance > Mario Kart 64 > Mario Kart DD > Mario Kart 7 

 

I think that's how I'd rate them for myself.

 

DS had so much to do with the mission mode too and had some great tracks and multiplayer. It still plays well despite being pretty ugly nowadays.

I agree that the DS version is actually really good, despite the DS hardware limitations, which includes the lack of an analogue nub. It’s actually... underrated, I’d say. In terms of DS and Mario Kart canon.

 

(Why the dislike of 7, by the way? Not that I’m questioning your choice, as I haven’t played it in eight years and don’t remember much about it.)

 

Would love Nintendo to make a back to basics Mario Kart, short, tight courses with plenty of laps, but with 3D graphics. To be honest.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

DS was very good, but its main innovation (online play) was somewhat ruined for me by snaking, which was only possible because the mini-boosts were too quick and easy to achieve. You had to do it to compete but it sucked all the fun out of it (not to mention the hand cramps!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I agree that the DS version is actually really good, despite the DS hardware limitations, which includes the lack of an analogue nub. It’s actually... underrated, I’d say. In terms of DS and Mario Kart canon.

 

(Why the dislike of 7, by the way? Not that I’m questioning your choice, as I haven’t played it in eight years and don’t remember much about it.)

 

Would love Nintendo to make a back to basics Mario Kart, short, tight courses with plenty of laps, but with 3D graphics. To be honest.

 

 

 

Whilst MK7 added the ability to race under water (and maybe fly i cant remember) it was more of a gimmick than anything as the levels with those sections where small and far between. The game didn't have bikes either, which i pretty much use exclusively in MK Wii and 8.  I just didn't gel to it, just seemed bland.

 

In all honestly, it's still a decent game but probably my least played MK out of all of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Marlowe said:

DS was very good, but its main innovation (online play) was somewhat ruined for me by snaking, which was only possible because the mini-boosts were too quick and easy to achieve. You had to do it to compete but it sucked all the fun out of it (not to mention the hand cramps!)

 

Yeah snaking was an issue, thankfully out of the 10s/100s of hours i played i didn't bump into snakers that often. I used to play with a friend and we always had a good time playing it. Also, so many of the tracks are some of the best of the series IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Played through Super Castlevania IV for the first time yesterday. First few stages were not bad at all, but difficulty ramps up big time shortly after!

 

I must admit to using save states, this game is rock hard at times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Played through Super Castlevania IV for the first time yesterday. First few stages were not bad at all, but difficulty ramps up big time shortly after!

 

I must admit to using save states, this game is rock hard at times.

 

Have you played the different Mega Drive or PC Engine CD versions? If so, thoughts on them?

 

I find the 16-bit Castlevania era fascinating. We had a mainline CV entry for each of the major consoles by Nintendo, Sega, and NEC/Hudson. And each is dramatically different to each other, in delightful ways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sketch said:

 

Have you played the different Mega Drive or PC Engine CD versions? If so, thoughts on them?

 

I find the 16-bit Castlevania era fascinating. We had a mainline CV entry for each of the major consoles by Nintendo, Sega, and NEC/Hudson. And each is dramatically different to each other, in delightful ways.


Each console version is a completely different game

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sketch said:

 

Have you played the different Mega Drive or PC Engine CD versions? If so, thoughts on them?

 

I find the 16-bit Castlevania era fascinating. We had a mainline CV entry for each of the major consoles by Nintendo, Sega, and NEC/Hudson. And each is dramatically different to each other, in delightful ways.

 

Super Castlevania IV, Vampire Killer/Castlevania : Bloodlines & Dracula X/Rondo of Blood are three of the best games ever made. 

Probably my favourite trio in the Castlevania series, and I'd recommend playing the Japanese versions if you can. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sketch said:

 

Have you played the different Mega Drive or PC Engine CD versions? If so, thoughts on them?

 

I find the 16-bit Castlevania era fascinating. We had a mainline CV entry for each of the major consoles by Nintendo, Sega, and NEC/Hudson. And each is dramatically different to each other, in delightful ways.

 

Nope, this was the first Castlevania game I have properly played. I played a little of bloodlines and i recall playing the first xbox 360 game which was a little different.

 

I wouldn't mind trying bloodlines properly and rondo of blood. However i might go with symphony of the night next.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2021 at 14:02, Sketch said:

 

Have you played the different Mega Drive or PC Engine CD versions? I find the 16-bit Castlevania era fascinating. We had a mainline CV entry for each of the major consoles by Nintendo, Sega, and NEC/Hudson. And each is dramatically different to each other, in delightful ways.

 

On 25/01/2021 at 14:09, ulala said:


Each console version is a completely different game

 

I stated this.

 

My point is: the 16-bit consoles often had just had ports between them, often downgraded.

 

Konami made a unique game for each. And each played to the system's strengths. And each took a different style of design.

 

I like this because it's a lense through which to view the context of the era.

 

The whole point is - each system had a different game in the same series, as opposed to cross-system ports of the same game, like say... Zombies Ate my Neighbours, or whatever. Like remember how we'd get the same game on PS2, Xbox, and GameCube? Like Beyond Good and Evil.

 

Konami in the 16-bit era was pretty cool in assigning specific teams to each system. The SNES and MD got its own unique versions of Tiny Toons. Contra was the same. But with Contra there was no PC Engine version.

 

It's a triumvirate of the same style of game, from the same series, but each its own unique thing.

 

Wait, are you being deliberately obtuse? :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/01/2021 at 13:21, Darhkwing said:

Played through Super Castlevania IV for the first time yesterday. First few stages were not bad at all, but difficulty ramps up big time shortly after!

 

I must admit to using save states, this game is rock hard at times.

 I got this Christmas 1991 and it blew me away. Having played it again in recent years I'm amazing I ever completed it. But I guess the fact I only had 4 Super Famicom games to play meant I persevered.

 

The game gets a lot of unfair criticism nowadays in part because it's 'only' a remake of the original Castlevania. But it's wonderful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

The game gets a lot of unfair criticism nowadays in part because it's 'only' a remake of the original Castlevania. But it's wonderful. 

 

It gets criticised for being a comparative pushover and having a whip mechanic so overpowered it renders the special weapons superfluous. The X68000 version was only a remake of the first one too.

 

Back when I first played the grey import the general consensus among us was that it was a great albeit slow burning game that got better the further you progressed.

 

I think the SNES ones are weakest of the 16-bitters but still very fine games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.