Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

Finished of a playthrough of SMB3 (all stars) with a friend over switch online.

Those last two worlds are extreme. Took us 5 hours ! 

I prefer Mario World overall but even its harder levels pail in comparison to smb3.

• 1 month later...

Been playing some Turtles in Time with my stepson and having a blast with it! I'd forgotten how much more complete it feels compared to the arcade version - not just because it has more levels, but because it has a lot more thematic development and makes better use of the "in time" conceit, etc. The combat mechanics are really fun, too - it's not the most technical or deep beat-'em-up, but that never stopped Final Fight from 'holding up' beautifully.

It's reminded me that, for the longest time as a kid, I wasn't all that interested in the game, purely because I'd seen a deflationary review somewhere that was very lukewarm on it, giving it 5 or 6/10 (maybe less), so I was really pleasantly surprised when I emulated it in the early 2000s. Does anyone know if this was TOTAL! magazine? I'm pretty sure that was the only one I read regularly...

Re: CV4, sadly I don't have the time to waffle about its genius that I would like, so I'm just taking a moment to enjoy its intro again. As portentous, ominous and almost physically heavy now as it was when I was six. It still has the power to fully convince me that something terrible is happening.

On 28/01/2021 at 22:24, Colonel Panic said:

These SA-1 mods for things like Gradius 3 and Contra 3 are THE BUSINESS...

Also, Contra 3's Crush gun is boss.

Yeah. I'm looking forward to trying Super R-Type after we set up the MiSTer on Wednesday. :)

I'm just in the process of retiring the SFC and PCE. I'm going to miss having my three-year-old run up to me with cartridges in hand, asking me to play. :/ Strangely his favourite game is Starfox, despite not really knowing how to control it at all.

On 13/03/2021 at 19:44, Klatrymadon said:

Been playing some Turtles in Time with my stepson and having a blast with it! I'd forgotten how much more complete it feels compared to the arcade version - not just because it has more levels, but because it has a lot more thematic development and makes better use of the "in time" conceit, etc. The combat mechanics are really fun, too - it's not the most technical or deep beat-'em-up, but that never stopped Final Fight from 'holding up' beautifully.

It's reminded me that, for the longest time as a kid, I wasn't all that interested in the game, purely because I'd seen a deflationary review somewhere that was very lukewarm on it, giving it 5 or 6/10 (maybe less), so I was really pleasantly surprised when I emulated it in the early 2000s. Does anyone know if this was TOTAL! magazine? I'm pretty sure that was the only one I read regularly...

Re: CV4, sadly I don't have the time to waffle about its genius that I would like, so I'm just taking a moment to enjoy its intro again. As portentous, ominous and almost physically heavy now as it was when I was six. It still has the power to fully convince me that something terrible is happening.

Back when Turtles in Time was new I went with a friend to the shops after school on a Friday so he could buy it. We went back to his and completed it on our first go so he took it back the next morning and swapped it for something else. At the time I only remember positive reviews. I've since replayed it (alone) via emulation and it's still really good.

I'm still playing Umihara Kawase. Gradually getting further and further. I'm sure lots of people would have breezed through the game by now but for me it's a gradual process of figuring out each level and being able to complete it consistently. Playing on a SFC (occasionally on a DS); no save states or anything. I can get up to level 17 consistently now. I think there are 40-odd levels :(

On 17/03/2021 at 10:11, Camel said:

I'm still playing Umihara Kawase. Gradually getting further and further. I'm sure lots of people would have breezed through the game by now but for me it's a gradual process of figuring out each level and being able to complete it consistently. Playing on a SFC (occasionally on a DS); no save states or anything. I can get up to level 17 consistently now. I think there are 40-odd levels :(

Level 23 now. If ever a game didn't need ice blocks it's this one. There's an exit on an earlier level that takes you straight to level 30 but I can't quite reach it and getting that far and throwing all my lives away on trying to get to it is a bit of a downer.

If the game gets much harder, I can't see me sticking with it, sadly. For the first time, I decided to watch a walkthrough to see how to reach the aforementioned exit (I'm still none the wiser) and the person who made the video said that with save states level 42 (wahey) took him over 200 attempts. 

I think it's a shame that game developers feel that games need to get more difficult as the player progresses. Personally, I'd much prefer a gradual increase in difficulty at the start and then for the difficulty to plateau. If you're enjoying conquering levels and they're a challenge, long may it continue I reckon.

Obviously challenge and difficulty are subjective.

On 17/03/2021 at 17:41, Protocol Penguin said:

I like Turtles in Time more than any entry of the Final Fight series on the Super NES, or any of the Streets of Rage series on the major rival system. :unsure:

Turtles in Time is a fantastic game but better than SOR2? Get outta here!

I just find the game a little bit too on the shortside (i think last time was 20 minutes or so to finish) despite Konami adding some exclusive stages.

9 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Turtles in Time is a fantastic game but better than SOR2? Get outta here!

I just find the game a little bit too on the shortside (i think last time was 20 minutes or so to finish) despite Konami adding some exclusive stages.

There's not enough depth in the combat, it gets repetitive in a way that SoR2 doesn't. I never played it back in the day, so don't have any nostalgia, but I enjoy playing it with my daughter - it's taught her how to understand boss patterns, proud father here. A bit more family friendly than knifing a load of pimps and bondage enthusiasts.

I still can't work out how you're supposed to beat the caveman turtle without burning through a heap of lives though. Harder than the end boss.

1 minute ago, Alexlotl said:

There's not enough depth in the combat, it gets repetitive in a way that SoR2 doesn't. I never played it back in the day, so don't have any nostalgia, but I enjoy playing it with my daughter - it's taught her how to understand boss patterns, proud father here. A bit more family friendly than knifing a load of pimps and bondage enthusiasts.

I still can't work out how you're supposed to beat the caveman turtle without burning through a heap of lives though. Harder than the end boss.

Ah yes, it feels more repetitive for sure. There is a definite lack of moves.

Last year i played through about 20 different side scrolling beat em ups, a lot of them have this issue which is why i still rank SOR2 quite high in comparison.

TMNT IV. Never liked it. Far too easy, shallow, and repetitive.

It might be fine playing the rom for ten minutes, but wasting a 4-day rental on it back in the day was upsetting. I'd have been really angry if I'd bought it.

I've been playing Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Duel (SFC). My word, it's glorious.

On 13/03/2021 at 20:55, Fallows said:

Yeah. I'm looking forward to trying Super R-Type after we set up the MiSTer on Wednesday. :)

The SNES core has both a turbo and extra sprite drawing toggles, which improves Super R-Type! Always preferred R-Type 3 because of the better performance on original hardware...

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know any reputable supplier for things like replacement controller membranes? The new ones I got from some shithouse on eBay don't do diagonals unless I push really, really hard. :/

Cheers.

On 12/01/2021 at 13:35, Marlowe said:

I must be one of the few that loves SMK and MK64 in equal measure, and certainly well above the later games in the series. MK64 in particular has come in for a lot of retrospective criticism, but I played through it again recently and the core racing still holds up brilliantly. It's very distinctive amongst the 3D entries, and the biggest part of that is the cart handling - it's tight and weighty, which I find much more satisfying than the floaty handling that Double Dash introduced that has only really been iterated on since. The sense of speed is also better at 150cc in MK64 than other entries (200cc in MK8 exempted), as well as the item balance and implementation of slides/mini-boosts (they got too easy to pull off in later entries).

I'll concede that yes many of the tracks are too barren (I'm sure technical limitations had something to do with that), and Rainbow Road is too long and shouldn't have had the barriers, but there are great tracks in there both for interesting gimmicks (Toad's Turnpike, Kalamari Desert, Yoshi Valley, Bowser's Castle) and pure racing challenge (Mario Raceway and Royal Raceway). It's no Double Dash in that regard, which clearly has the best tracks of the entire series, but it's hardly lagging behind the track design from later entries.

Me, my brother and my mates put hours and hours into MK64 back in 97/98. More then the original or any since. It was a great game. That and Rage Racer (Another seriously underrated entry in a long running series) were absolutely hammered back then.

Mario 64 4 player battle mode was amazing.   Had immense fun on that with siblings/  Turning into a bomb once you'd lost all your balloons so you could still kamikaze people?  Yes!

I’m currently playing through the recently released patch for Bahamut Lagoon.

Although I completed the original in Japanese at the time, I never really got on with the original translation so never got past the first few battles. 

this new translation is very polished, though and I thoroughly recommend it. It’s got quite an intriguing story so far and evolving dragons is good fun. 

If you have an interest in classic square games and like SRPGs you’ll get a lot out of this one! 

38 minutes ago, beakbeak said:

I’m currently playing through the recently released patch for Bahamut Lagoon.

Although I completed the original in Japanese at the time, I never really got on with the original translation so never got past the first few battles. 

this new translation is very polished, though and I thoroughly recommend it. It’s got quite an intriguing story so far and evolving dragons is good fun. 

If you have an interest in classic square games and like SRPGs you’ll get a lot out of this one! 

Did you have to patch it yourself or is there a pre-patched version kicking about? I'm pretty sure I started the old translation many monos ago, but never got too far in to it, it did look pretty cool though and coud be worth checking out again :)

4 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Did you have to patch it yourself or is there a pre-patched version kicking about? I'm pretty sure I started the old translation many monos ago, but never got too far in to it, it did look pretty cool though and coud be worth checking out again :)

I just patch rom myself as it’s dead easy to do (lunarIPS .exe), but yeah, there is a patched rom about. It’s the Near version. I’ll pm you a link! 

Ta bud, being a Mac user, patching anything is a nuisance, requires digging out an old  Netbook thing that is slower than driving backwards down a crowded street in the dark with no lights :p

Haha! That link I sent you is good. They seem to update stuff whenever a new translation comes out.

would heartily recommend the Ganbare Goemon games that recently got translated by the same group! 

On 11/04/2021 at 08:59, MikeBeaver said:

Ta bud, being a Mac user, patching anything is a nuisance, requires digging out an old  Netbook thing that is slower than driving backwards down a crowded street in the dark with no lights :p

I guess you’ve been sent a link to a handy site anyway (named along the lines of Compact Disc Love at all?...) but here’s a handy link should you need it to an online patching tool I’ve used several times

https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/

Just now, Yasawas said:

I guess you’ve been sent a link to a handy site anyway (named along the lines of Compact Disc Love at all?...) but here’s a handy link should you need it to an online patching tool I’ve used several times

https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/

Cheers bud, that will be super ( Nintendo ) handy :)  I'll add that to my bookmark list