Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

59 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

This one is rock solid, had no problems with it but it has been through three ssd upgrades. 

If it''s runnign that AMD Radeon 6750M, then it is inherently doomed to failure, it's when , not if I'm afraid :(

38 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Nah i5 poverty spec. Intel graphics only. 

You got lucky :) Using this on anything other than the Intel onboard will kill it even faster. Bought myself a cheeky MBP 2014 ( Mid ) 13" last week, mates family member shuffled off and it was sat in a box, 512gb SSD, 8GB RAM, 6, count them SIX cycles on the battery !!! £250 :wub::omg:

Anyway, I'll shut up about Mac's, it's the SNES thread, erm... Chrono Trigger, evryone should go play it immediately!!

On 04/04/2016 at 17:13, ridgeracer said:

Sorry if they have been mentioned but other classics are:

Actriser

Donley Kong Country 1/2

Contra Spirits

Valken/Cybernator

Exhaust Heat 2

F Zero

Final Fight 1/2/3 (3 is pretty good)

Final FIght Tough (JPN final fight 3)

The Firemen

Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja

Ganbare Goemon 2/3/4 if you can handle some Japanese text

Gokujou Parodius

Parodius Da

Super Kirby Bowl

Mario Picross (simple but amazing!)

Mystery Circle

Rockman/Mega Man games (not really a fan personally)

Pilotwings

Sim City (even for the title screen music)

Star Fox

Wildtrax/Stunt Race FX

Bomberman 1/2/3/4/5

Super Castlevania

Super Chase HQ

Super G&G (not as good as the original on the MD/PCE imo)

Super Mario Allstars

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario World

Super Mario World 2 /AKA Yoshi Island

Super Metroid

Super Punchout

Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Super Tennis

Top Racer/Top Gear

Area 88/UN Squadron

Undercover Cops

Zelda: Lttp

Zig Zag Cat

There are loads of highly acclaimed titles but these are the ones I own/like alot.

I missed out all the RPG's as I have never really played them before but I hear they are very good too.

Ace list but just thought I’d let you know that all the goemon games are now translated :)

14 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

what What WHAT?

Yuh huh! 

goemon 2,3 and 4 all have translations by DDS. They’re really good too. Even the ebisamuru puzzle game has been translated 

I just tried them (assuming I have the correct patch versions). Amazing stuff. The way the modders have replaced the japanese font with something similar in style (so they look great on the level intro titles) Also, can't believe they also work perfectly on real hardware!

Yeah. It’s pretty bonkers. The guy who did it got loads of flack from a writer on hardcore gamer. He translated Goemon 3 verbatim and the word ‘tranny’ was in the dialogue which caused a bit of a witch hunt. 

he defended the decision to use it but said he’d remove it but there was a lot of hate directed at him and he scrapped translation of Goemon 4 because of it. 

but then he had a change of heart thankfully.

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

I would have just left in "tranny". I'm not transphobic, but fucking hell, game from 90s Japan not appropriate - Who'd have thunk it?

Exactly this. this guy wasn’t translating the game for money or fame. It was a fan translation and he was just accurately translating the source material.

the fact that people went after him like that was pretty scummy in my opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Where’s the slow down in F-Zero?

Talking of F-Zero, did anybody successfully patch it with the time trial patch? It enables you to select any course, rather than the limited selection the original game offered. I tried it on all the roms I could find but it just wasn’t happening. If anybody could sort me out a patched version or the correct rom to apply the patch to I would be externally grateful. 

39 minutes ago, acidbearboy said:

Where’s the slow down in F-Zero?

Talking of F-Zero, did anybody successfully patch it with the time trial patch? It enables you to select any course, rather than the limited selection the original game offered. I tried it on all the roms I could find but it just wasn’t happening. If anybody could sort me out a patched version or the correct rom to apply the patch to I would be externally grateful. 

I've not seen that but if you can post the patch file (surely no copyright issue there) I'll have a go with the ones I've got.

1 hour ago, ulala said:

i think im getting old, i prefer the games in their original form

What, even Gradius 3? The SA-1 hack is the best definition of a rebirth I can think of.

In later years I always found the slowdown in Super Mario World to be a distraction. Now I can play the game all the way through without it highlighting itself in an otherwise perfect game.

26 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Someone posted this on another forum I visit, but relevant here as they're sold out on Amazon!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001219851677.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.24f94c4dVZzzzP

Great shout, thanks. Unfortunately they don't seem to be stocked along with the USB receiver. :/

Somewhat off-topic, soz - but are these compatible with MiSTer/PC?:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000834154662.html?spm=a2g0z.12010612.8148356.13.6bdb551baJoRRY

11 hours ago, Dudley said:

I've not seen that but if you can post the patch file (surely no copyright issue there) I'll have a go with the ones I've got.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/278/

Description:

This is a simple hack that allows you to race on tracks that would otherwise be available in Grandprix only. All 15 tracks are available without the full grid. Best times work as normal. To be used on a USA rom.

ROM / ISO Information:

File: F-ZERO (U) [!].smc

Length: 524800 Bytes (4 Mbit)

CRC32: A225CB58

MD5: 43BF7426 AE8D2FC5 5F3A037D 6FFD2557

SHA1: 4709D4DC A81A8397 76A7411C BBC869CD 42460BEB

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had success with removing yellowing just using sunlight and no retro brite chemicals needs at all.  I’ve just left stuff on a sunny window sill in our conservatory for a while and seem significant improvement to a super famicom and a few controllers.  I’d recommend trying sunlight only before breaking out the chemicals.