Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

I have the sudden urge over the last day or two to buy a boxed SNES Zelda Link to the Past. Almost pulled the trigger on one on ebay for about 60 quid but the box was just too creased. Not looking for mint condition but I think masybe I should have bought it.  60 quid isn't bad right?

On 23/08/2021 at 17:27, rafaqat said:

I have the sudden urge over the last day or two to buy a boxed SNES Zelda Link to the Past. Almost pulled the trigger on one on ebay for about 60 quid but the box was just too creased. Not looking for mint condition but I think masybe I should have bought it.  60 quid isn't bad right?

60 quid is not bad at all. did it have the mini map too?

I am after a copy too for my Zelda collection, i sold my mint one years back :(

9 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

60 quid is not bad at all. did it have the mini map too?

I am after a copy too for my Zelda collection, i sold my mint one years back :(

Nah. No map. I'm not too fussed by that. I just want the games I had when I had a SNES. Box, plus cartridge and manual is good enough for me.

On 26/08/2021 at 15:41, rafaqat said:

Bought Street fighter 2 on ebay.  Boxed. Not great condition but for 20 couldn't say no.  Very excited to have it in my hands

It’s here!

blockbuster sticker on front is fugly and I’d love to remove it but not sure best way. 

158C32F6-60A2-49E5-903E-353BE679894E.thumb.jpeg.1af5161c0e6bf602aceff5a29544f898.jpeg

25 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

It’s here!

blockbuster sticker on front is fugly and I’d love to remove it but not sure best way. 

158C32F6-60A2-49E5-903E-353BE679894E.thumb.jpeg.1af5161c0e6bf602aceff5a29544f898.jpeg

heat is your friend, to loosen the glue.

try a hairdryer, get it warm. 

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

I blogged about removing a difficult sticker a few years back. 

http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.com/2014/03/ultra-sticker-removal.html?m=1

An iron sounds terrifying.  

1 hour ago, ulala said:

heat is your friend, to loosen the glue.

try a hairdryer, get it warm. 

hairdryer less so. I’ll give it a whirl. 
assuming that some isopropyl to get rid of left over residue will be ok on that cardboard once I get the sticker off?

25 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I never remove those stickers, at this point they're as much of the history of the thing as the box itself.

I'd remove it personally, but fun to see that £69.99 price tag. The Bank of England's inflation calculator has £70 in 1992 as £148 in 2020 money!

13 hours ago, rafaqat said:

assuming that some isopropyl to get rid of left over residue will be ok on that cardboard once I get the sticker off?

I wouldn’t do that, it’s great at dissolving ink!

14 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Terrible idea, I use IPA to remove permenant marker, it'll destroy the poor box :(

On 26/08/2021 at 15:41, rafaqat said:

Bought Street fighter 2 on ebay.  Boxed. Not great condition but for 20 couldn't say no.  Very excited to have it in my hands

I really wanted sf2 and sf2 turbo Jap carts. Ever since seeing how "cool" they looked as a child I wanted them. Can't justify as I have an everdrive :(

15 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

I'd remove it personally, but fun to see that £69.99 price tag. The Bank of England's inflation calculator has £70 in 1992 as £148 in 2020 money!

Christ I paid 65 quid for mortal Kombat 2 from paper round money. 4.50  for six days a week! Considering the Dev effort into today's games they are a bargain in comparison

31 minutes ago, bplus said:

I really wanted sf2 and sf2 turbo Jap carts. Ever since seeing how "cool" they looked as a child I wanted them. Can't justify as I have an everdrive :(

Yeah, I have a SNES Classic Mini I can play them on but I just wantyed the feel of the box and the cartridge in my hands again.   THEw SNES was my actual best console by a country mile. Nothing will ever beat the memories of the games and how I juggled swaps to be able to get the Street Fighter pack and the Starfox pack at a later date.  I made the mistake of swapping a snes for a megadrive at one point.  Big mistake!

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Terrible idea, I use IPA to remove permenant marker, it'll destroy the poor box :(

Of course not. The Combatribes box is now in fantastic condition given it was completely covered in parcel tape. It also removes horrible bends too. 

Just need to be careful. 

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Yeah, I have a SNES Classic Mini I can play them on but I just wantyed the feel of the box and the cartridge in my hands again.   THEw SNES was my actual best console by a country mile. Nothing will ever beat the memories of the games and how I juggled swaps to be able to get the Street Fighter pack and the Starfox pack at a later date.  I made the mistake of swapping a snes for a megadrive at one point.  Big mistake!

It's just a fact that the snes was way a head of the megadrive, especially Nintendo and Rare games, nothing came close. I love the megadrive, even bought a jap one a few years ago, but the fact is it has nothing that can compete with mario kart, super Mario world or Zelda. (Imo of course!)

2 hours ago, nakamura said:

Of course not. The Combatribes box is now in fantastic condition given it was completely covered in parcel tape. It also removes horrible bends too. 

Just need to be careful. 

I meant using Isopropyl, not the heat 😛

On 31/08/2021 at 18:04, rafaqat said:

It’s here!

This was one of the first SNES games I bought after getting the Mario All-Stars pack for Christmas in 1993. SF2 Turbo had not long been out, but I couldn’t afford that, so I grabbed this for £20 brand new from Argos I think. Loved it. And the sticker album. And the soundtrack cd from NMS. 

6 hours ago, bplus said:

It's just a fact that the snes was way a head of the megadrive, especially Nintendo and Rare games, nothing came close. I love the megadrive, even bought a jap one a few years ago, but the fact is it has nothing that can compete with mario kart, super Mario world or Zelda. (Imo of course!)

well it did come out two years later.

do you mean nothing can compete in those genres, or at all?

34 minutes ago, ulala said:

There never seemed to be a credible rival to Super Mario Kart or Super Mario World.

8 hours ago, ulala said:

For me the best of the snes range just seem to on another level or maybe next generation compared to the megadrive. I love a lot of megadrive games and in some regards the megadrive has better hardware, I believe it's got a faster CPU for example and some of its shooters wouldn't be possible on a snes. But gameswise there's just no comparison. (This is just from my perspective, completely understand that some people prefer the megadrive!)

11 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

This was one of the first SNES games I bought after getting the Mario All-Stars pack for Christmas in 1993. SF2 Turbo had not long been out, but I couldn’t afford that, so I grabbed this for £20 brand new from Argos I think. Loved it. And the sticker album. And the soundtrack cd from NMS. 

That sound track cd was of the arcade music, I loved it. Great give away gift.

2 hours ago, bplus said:

For me the best of the snes range just seem to on another level or maybe next generation compared to the megadrive. I love a lot of megadrive games and in some regards the megadrive has better hardware, I believe it's got a faster CPU for example and some of its shooters wouldn't be possible on a snes. But gameswise there's just no comparison. (This is just from my perspective, completely understand that some people prefer the megadrive!)

they have different architecture, the MegaDrive chip is twice as fast on paper, but the SNES has dedicated chips and more colours to help address the difference.

but let’s not forget that games like Mario Kart don’t run on a stock SNES.

2 hours ago, nakamura said:

Although some how, Street Racer does!

I think that's because it doesn't have any objects with height in them? Or least that what I heard on one of dudleys yesterzine vids I think?