Super Nintendo Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

Depends if you can put up with it. I just started messing about with it on Odin and it looks squished up on there, but if I faff about with the v90 I still think I prefer it sharp and too narrow. Ideally, I'd have been happier in ignorance.

I always go for 4:3 and turn on interpolation, which will get rid of shimmer at the cost of a slightly softer look. 
I have a PVM, and everything set correctly there is the same propotions as a flatpanel in a 4:3 aspect ratio, so 4:3 is always "correct" in comparison to playing it on a CRT. 

3 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Yeah, I should add, I’ve enabled horizontal interpolation on my SuperNT. I use original hardware on my CRTs and the ratios look the same. 

I once followed The Firebrand X OTT set up guides, but just found keeping interpolation on, and setting it to 4:3 for 16:9 looks absolutely stunning. Job done!

What's the best puzzle game on SNES?

BreakThru!

Bust-A-Move

Cacoma Knight in Bizyland

Ka-blooey

Kirby's Avalanche

Lemmings

Lemmings 2: The Tribes

Lost Vikings 2

On the Ball

Pac-Attack

Pieces

Push-Over

Tetris 2

Tetris Attack

The Brainies

The Lost Vikings

Troddlers

Wario's Woods

WildSnake

Wordtris

Yoshi's Cookie

Zoop

I would like to agree with Picross but it's really hard to go back to the controls/UI they used in them days now. If you can get over that they made about 8 of them though.

I go for Tetris Attack assuming I'm right in thinking that was the Western version of Panel de Pon.

So going back to the SNES resolution then, how would devs generally handle porting games between SNES and MD?

Like, Earthworm Jim I guess. That was made for MD and then ported over (I guess?). How would that get ported to the SNES’s narrower horizontal res, to fill the same 4:3 window?

5 hours ago, Paulando said:

So going back to the SNES resolution then, how would devs generally handle porting games between SNES and MD?

Like, Earthworm Jim I guess. That was made for MD and then ported over (I guess?). How would that get ported to the SNES’s narrower horizontal res, to fill the same 4:3 window?

Remember that CRTs aren’t fixed resolution displays like modern flat panels, so they don’t need to scale to fit the screen.  In the case of a Earthworm Jim and other ports,  you see less of the playing area on the SNES due to the lower resolution.

18CE6A36-323E-4EB5-9D86-FBE8423BEDFA.jpeg

5 hours ago, Paulando said:

snes ports look chunkier, and you see less of the playfield, 

Just now, ulala said:

snes ports look chunkier, and you see less of the playfield, 

Ahh, so they basically crop the view to fit the res, then the TV stretches it to 4:3? Sounds awful :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A big part of the reason I started collecting SFC (and was dumb enough to insist on boxed) was how pretty the aesthetics were - console/games/controller :wub: It was the perfect package.*

* provided you don't want to sit more than 18 inches away.

My son still prefers the carts. SFC here also. I was going to sell everything when I let go of the PCE, but he put his foot down. I might set it up along with the 15" PVM for his room. MiSTer, along with Netflix/Disney+, aren't the best things for his focus/attention. On the flipside he can sit on the same Switch game for a while, due to the physical investment of having to take out a game and replace it with another one. Plus, if I can get him to sit through the whole of SMW I'd be very happy indeed.

We have boxed copies of the Super FX games (from when EverDrives couldn't handle them), SMW and SMK. That's it. I wanted a few others but they're just not worth the asking prices.

Despite it being a 1CHIP I should really get an RGB amp for the console. That vertical bar mod needs doing as well. I'm also still on the lookout for decent controller membrane replacements, I can't find a d-pad membrane that does diagonals. Our one remaining controller with the OEM membrane is very noisy when it's returning to unpressed states.