Beautiful Art In Games

Ikaruga

I've only just stumbled across this, it's a majestic piece of artwork from Ikaruga that in my mind, sums everything up about the game:

Ika_dc_ArcahyO1.jpg

It got me thinking, where can I find more stuff like this? I know the works of Amano and suchlike, but what about other artists? Any links to sites?

Personally, I love the majority of the concept art behind games, but especially go for the rough pencil stuff. It's horribly rare, though, and I don't even SEE the fraction of it I'd like, let alone own any.

I'm also in love with the ZOE art, which is rare for me, because I'm not really into mecha. But that Ikaruga picture is fantastic, agreed. I wouldn't know where to hang it, though.

It's amazing how background art goes into making some games, developers should show us more of it

Even if it was included as an on-disc unlockable bonus. I know I'd work for it... and with DVDs becoming ever more common, I'm sure they could squeeze it in around the game...

The concept art for Halo is fantastic- a mix of traditional sci-fi art and manga-style stuff, it's an extremely evocative set of stuff. Plus, it's cool to see stuff that never made it into the game, like the mass-transit network, and Alpha Base.

One of the great things about MGS and MGS2 is that they featured some of the concept art where appropriate (the CODEC faces and Otacon's arrival/the Jack Flashback, respectively).

I'd like to see a mini-anime sequence in MGS3 or The Twin Snakes, based on Shinkawa's style, for a flashback, for example.

Is any of that artowrk in the PAL GC version ?

(yes I am am cack at Ikaruga)

I believe they're unlockable.

I've never played the pal version as it skips lines and doesent even bother to replace/translate the japanese introduction dialogue to each chapter, choosing only to skip them out entirely.

The art mini book with the PAL copy of Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night is rather nice. As are both the Metal Gear Solid art books. Hard to find though.

You can buy both Metal Gear Solid books from KonamiStyle Europe (or at least could very recently, I haven't checked now). I got book 2 and it is exquisite.

All the art for Symphony of the Night and the subsequent Game Boy Advance Castlevanias have been brilliant. You only need to look at the boxes to see that. They seem to be by Hideo Kojima's sister

I've not seen that particular artwork (edit: the one in the first post) in any copies I own and I believe I have unlocked everything.

Sorry, but I've got to just go off on an Ikaruga related rant! I was playing Ikaruga last night and got 17,777,760 (I'm pretty decent at Ikaruga). I noted down the code and was so happy because it means I can rank in about 85th in the world rankings (I'm still 35th I think in prototype mode but got knocked out of arcade mode a few months ago). I go to the site, and it's GONE. Just an error message. I really hope it comes back, but I doubt it somehow. Boo hoo! ;)

Anyway, I'm still going to play it and I'm only going to stop when I can complete the game in one credit with 20million+ every single bloody time!

You can buy both Metal Gear Solid books from Konami.co.uk's shop (or at least could very recently, I haven't checked now). I got book 2 and it is exquisite.

All the art for Symphony of the Night and the subsequent Game Boy Advance Castlevanias have been brilliant. You only need to look at the boxes to see that. They seem to be by Hideo Kojima's sister

Oh hey, thanks! That's cheered me up. I will have to get those MGS books, I saw them in Waterstone's (they are indeed 'exquisite') but they sold very quickly. Thanks!

You can buy both Metal Gear Solid books from KonamiStyle Europe (or at least could very recently, I haven't checked now). I got book 2 and it is exquisite.

no you can't:

The shop is currently closed due to Technical difficulties, we are sorry for the inconvenience and we hope to be open again soon.

:ph34r:

EDIT: i see you noticed that too now ;)

No but seriously though, I propose we have an Ikaruga meet.

I'd be sat in the corner fixed permantley to my dc stick - I'd have to wear one of those hats with the straws in order to drink.

But of course I wouldn't drink, as it would poison the purety of of my zen-like concentration.

Or something.

That would be rather cool. It would be good to see how people on here chain. I want to make a video sometime with some silly commentary. eg. "That's textbook", "Pure showboating", "Ripping off Snapdragon or what?!", "Haha, broke the chain ya twat!".

To date, i've had three vivid dreams about ruga.

Once, I was piloting the first chapter boss's mech, and crushed the little scally shinra when he tried to switch near me.

In another I was a bird, flying freely near to the enemy fighters - soaring high above the industrial skyline of the initial chapter.

And the last one i've had, I was chaining with utter conviction in every movement. It was truely perfection. I need to practice until I can play the game with my eyes shut. I think I read an interview with the producer who said that was the height of perfection within the game. For fucks sake.

Ayami Kojima. She's produced some breathtakingly beautiful art.

idol.jpg