IGNORED

Star Wars: Rogue One

Glasgowchivas

Would be interested in seeing a much more adult movie set in that universe, but given how much merchandising is involved in Star Wars it was never going to happen. A 12A would be just fine, along with some Vader bad-assery.

2 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

McQuarrie's been pretty salty on Twitter about the whole thing so far; seems to be denying the story doing the rounds at the moment.

He's clarified that it's the reports that he's "overseeing the reshoots" that he's objected too; he's not denying any of the re-write stuff or the 40% figure that's being banded about. Seems he's just standing up for Edwards as the director.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

You're just going to get rehashes of the OT forever.

Oh God I hope they're not all relentlessly entertaining and completely brilliant from start to finish!

My cynical internet sensibilities just wouldn't be able to take it :o:o:o

Memo to McQuarrie

please find list of Minor reshoots required by Disney....

Add a "star of death" 

Add a farm boy 

Add a spunky wise cracking hero

The bad guy needs more black leather

the heroine needs less wise cracking and more emotional attachment to the wise cracking hero

We need some sort of pseudo-religious content .. how about "jar-jar-di"

Comic relief ... some wise cracking robots perhaps.

Regards 

Disney suits.

25 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Oh God I hope they're not all relentlessly entertaining and completely brilliant from start to finish!

My cynical internet sensibilities just wouldn't be able to take it :o:o:o

Yeah, why did they even make Empire in the first place? They should have just made A New Hope again and again. And again and again and again.

2 hours ago, Fury4k said:

I'm way past the point of being precious about Star Wars. Especially the side stories. It'll be interesting to see the differences between the two versions should they both become available at some point. 

Yeah I find this sort of stuff fascinating, I hope we get to see the alternate version even if it is a rough version with unfinished FX etc.

Love the tone of the first Rogue One trailer, but as @Darren says, the Star Wars films are kids' films. A bit of an alternative angle for trailers is one thing, but a tone too far removed from the core stories just feels different for the sake of being so. Confident Rogue One will still be interesting mainly because of the cast.

4 hours ago, Darren said:

Time will tell how this turns out, and while it sounds like a mess at the moment, I definitely don't want grimdark Star Wars. They have always been kids' films.

It's fair to not want something overly serious, but there's a lot of scope for making something more grounded than Force Awakens that isn't dark for the sake of it. I also think it's more interesting for a side-story film to try something different rather than retread what's gone before, especially as we've seen how bad things can go when leaning into the "kids' film" angle; hello Episode I.

3 hours ago, Jammy said:

Would be interested in seeing a much more adult movie set in that universe, but given how much merchandising is involved in Star Wars it was never going to happen.

Would merchandising really be a concern? Maybe things are different nowadays, but my first exposure to films like The Terminator or Alien were through seeing the toy lines.

One one hand, it's ridiculous that big studios are still putting the cart before the horse and getting movies into production before there's a script they're happy with.

On the other hand, at least they noticed and decided to do something about it this time.

I was listening to a report on this, it would seem they are just following Marvel who bake in reshooting as part of the production process, when you're churning these out like yearly game sequels, some fiddling is probably required as a matter of course.

Just had a thought. Does this remind anyone else of all the fuss with Antman and Disney's overly controlling nature pushing what's his name out of the director's chair. I'd rather the odd film that doesn't quite hit the mark over an enless supply of bland identikit films. 

People always just want to knock stuff down and paint a terrible picture of things that are happening that they know nothing about in reality. Everyone is so pleased to spread negative stuff about popular and successful people/franchises etc, it drive me round the bend. Something I am used to being part of Doctor Who fandom for 30 odd years, I don't know why some people bother watching and following stuff if they just want to knock it down all the time based on rumours and half truths

13 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

I thought the whole point of these spin-off movies were that they were a different style and tone to the "main" story arch. Rehashing this to make it even more of the same is disappointing to me. 

Empire managed to pull off a darker tone while still remaining consistent with the universe's style and tone. Similarly, TFA pulled off light and dark in equal measure without the two feeling an unnatural fit to what had previously been seen in the saga. There's plenty of scope within their already established parameters to achieve a 'dark' Star Wars film. 

Similarly, given they've hired Lord and Miller, we're likely going to get a totally lighter film for the Han Solo spin-off, but BB-8's thumbs up or any number of Han's quips through four films shows whipsmart comedy won't be too much of a reach. Star Wars always has been broad, so think the anthologies can be different, yet consistent.  As long as the right people get the lead creative jobs and the casting is strong, and Rogue One might have one of the most interesting casts of any Star Wars project.

On 4 June 2016 at 1:39 AM, DNStuff said:

Rogue One set leak

image.jpeg

(Quoted from the Lego thread)

That bottom left ship looks a lot like this (from the Kanan comic):

Skull_Squadron.jpg

They're obviously not exactly the same, but the one in the comic appears during the Clone Wars, about 20 years before Rogue One,  so the film ship could be a later version of the same thing. Which would be interesting, because those ships belong to the

POSSIBLE SPECULATION-BASED FILM SPOILER

Mandalorians!

5 hours ago, Darren said:

Hide contents

Mandalorians!

:omg:

Although, until recently, didn't realise that Boba Fett only wore Mandalorian armour and wasn't a native (I know, I know, but just assumed Jango was Mandalorian and therefore so too was his son). Reading their wider lore, will be a interesting addition if true.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-is-in-big-trouble-new-director-being-brought-in/

And now other sources counter that EW story.

Oh boy, here we go again. Ever since it was revealed that Disney was ordering reshoots for Gareth Edwards’ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, the internet has been going wild. Rumors and speculation have run rampant, with all kinds of reports coming out that seemingly contradicted one another in every imaginable way.

First we heard that the reshoots were just to include a special cameo, and then we were told that the studio wasn’t happy with the tone of the film and ordered that 40% of it be reshot. It was further reported that writer/director Christopher McQuarrie was being called in to help out, but the filmmaker later shot down those rumors. EW also attempted to throw water over the fire by reassuring everyone that nothing was wrong and that these reshoots were planned from the start.

Now, we have another piece to add to the puzzle, as The Playlist thinks that the situation is far worse than we’re being led to believe. Seeing as EW has a pretty good relationship with Disney, it’s likely that their report was to do some damage control for the studio, but as more information comes to light, it appears as if there is definitely some trouble brewing over on the set of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

The Playlist tells us that Tony Gilroy, who did uncredited rewrite work on the film, is “actually supervising, if not helming, the reshoots himself,” meaning that Edwards might have been sidelined for the time being. Furthermore, Latino-Review believes that despite previous reports stating that 40% of Rogue One needed to be reshot, it’s looking more like they’ll have to reshoot “nearly half of the movie.”

Take that in for a second. Half of the movie needs to be reshot. Given that the film is only about six months away from release, that’s incredibly troubling to hear, if it is indeed true. And we’re inclined to believe that it is. Sure, many big blockbusters have had considerable reshoots and turned out alright, but at this stage we just can’t find the confidence to feel optimistic about Rogue One. We’ve simply heard too much about it to believe that all is well with the spinoff.

I think the previous remarks put that number in context as meaning they were going to be incorporating reshoots into many of the scenes, but the reshoots themselves were mostly small additions of dialogue. Like, they're not literally reshooting 48 minutes of a two-hour movie.

On 14/04/2016 at 9:02 PM, macosx said:

I mentally thought fan film (too harsh tbh) because it just seemed really flat as a teaser trailer with some actors dropped into some Star Warsy sets. More about the feel really...

I know the intent is to make a different, more grounded SW type of film but for me as a first look, the teaser didn't hit home and looked a bit Halo TV series.

called it