David Brent : Life on the Road

Capwn

I'm a huge fan of the originals and can see this being good BUT what were they thinking with this clip being the teaser? It really smells of a test audience watching it (and I know for a fact that it's had some) and then some annoying marketing people catching on to this clip getting a big laugh so forcing it to be used in this teaser. When really, the test audience was full of random people who probably don't follow/get on with 'Office humour' but found this bit funny because it was 'outrageous' etc.

Now I'm worried :/

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

the test audience was full of random people who probably don't follow/get on with 'Office humour'

Isn't the office almost universally acclaimed and watched in the uk? Who is in this test audicence that don't get it? It's not far from saying people don't follow only fools and horses.

This will lack all of the subtlety of The Office. Brent was a great character, yes, but we were living through the other characters, reacting with them to this man. It was about how fucking boring life can be, and people trying to do anything to escape that. 

This'll be Ricky Gervais doing Brent face on the big screen. With no Stephen Merchant to steady it. 

20 hours ago, pledge said:

Isn't the office almost universally acclaimed and watched in the uk? Who is in this test audicence that don't get it? It's not far from saying people don't follow only fools and horses.

You'd be amazed. Lots of people under the age of 25 will know of The Office, but don't know it. Or they prefer American Office...

Anyway. There will undoubtedly be issues with this film, but at least Gervais isn't doing another drama. I'm hopeful without having any expectations.

• 2 months later...

Still looks shit. Looks like it makes no sense whatsoever.

The funniest bit was when those women cheered when the bottle opened, and that's only because it was a rip off from Marsha in Spaced. Gervais can fuck off.

You know what, I like Gervais and I'd be well up for some more David Brent. I thought the teaser was funny, but that trailer was really shit. Boring, unfunny, and it seems to recycle a lot from the Christmas special (he's a rep by day, doing crappy gigs by night). It's also lost the 'realistic' mockumentary look. Hmm.

This is ten years too late and focusing on the wrong characters from the office, imo. Brent was funny in moderation because you liked the other characters enough to ignore the fact he was a massive twat, like most Ricky Gervais characters. And Ricky Gervais. 

Ugh, this is going to end up in Canada (where I live) in like 2017 I bet. Would just download it but UK cinema releases are the worst for that, 99% of films that are very British just don't get ripped until dvd release.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Mentazm said:

He was a twat, but I think he was redeemed in the xmas special. I hope we see a softer, mellower, less eager to impress Brent.

That's exactly what it is. Gervais has mentioned a few times now that the world around Brent has become uglier and more 'Dog eat dog'.

Brent is pretty much the same but the world has changed around him. I think people will feel a bit more empathy towards him now he's older, more tragic and nicer than today's average rep in this new dog-eat-dog environment. He's still an embarrassing prat but deep down he's ok. 

He's setting it up for the audience feeling empathy for Brent. I'm guessing there will be certain characters in the film that mock his 'crap songs' and dreams etc but the audience (us) are erm, I've forgotten the right phrase (Where a film tries to tell audiences what they should be feeling, via music and cliches), manipulated? into seeing Brent as 'Awww, he's harmless. Normal people enjoy his music and he is happy! I don't like that smug critic character making fun of him!' if you know what I mean? I don't believe that Gervais has the ability to pull something like this off naturally without the likes of Merchant. I fear it will come off more like 'Derek'. I hope I'm wrong.

• 1 month later...

Read quite a few reviews now, not looking good. Seems like it really misses the strong supporting cast. So it's Brent just being a berk for a hour or so, then it sounds like a manufactured unatural attempt at telling the audiences to feel sorry for him at the end. Not sure if to feel sorry for Merchant or angry at him for now overlooking the project.

16 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

@Capwn Why would you blame Merchant? This is a Gervais vanity project through and through. 

They must both have 50/50 ownership of the property. Perhaps it's a bit unrealistic that Merchant has any real power over it and even if he did I'm not sure what I'd expect him to do. Can't expect him to go and try 'save' something that he didn't want out there in the first place.

What a car crash, in reality it's like Gervais really has become Brent. 

Ah no, found what I was thinking of on wikipedia:

The Office started when Stephen Merchant, while on a BBC production course, had to make his own short film. In August 1999 he made a docu-soap parody, set in an office, with help from Ash Atalla, who was shown a 7-minute video called 'The Seedy Boss', thus David Brent was created, Merchant passed this tape on to the BBC's Head of Entertainment Paul Jackson at the Edinburgh Fringe, who then passed it on to Head of Comedy Jon Plowman, who eventually commissioned a full-pilot script from Merchant and Gervais.[36]

Gervais didn't do stand up on the 11oclock show, he was like a roving reporter on certain topics, playing an arsehole from Reading. The same schtick he carried over to the Ricky Gervais show on channel 4, with Tony Green. Both were pretty good.

3 hours ago, angel said:

Gervais didn't do stand up on the 11oclock show, he was like a roving reporter on certain topics, playing an arsehole from Reading. The same schtick he carried over to the Ricky Gervais show on channel 4, with Tony Green. Both were pretty good.

No, he did stand up at the end of each programme.