rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Illyria

Renowned Explorers: International Society

Renowned Explorers: International Society is a strategy adventure game set in the 19th century.

Take command of a hand-picked group of diverse explorers and travel across the globe in search of legendary treasures while staying ahead of your rivals. Earn prestige in the Renowned Explorers International Society and become the world's most Renowned Explorer!

Key Features

-Explore the far corners of the world in the age of discovery, outsmart your rivals, campaign for fame and become the most Renowned Explorer of the 19th century

-Create your own adventures; get to know your explorers with their own character traits, skills and quirks, manage their progression while hunting for the most prestigious treasures

-Prepare your treasure hunt; collect Insight, Research, Gold and Status on your expeditions to acquire supplies and support for the next adventure

-Attitude-based gameplay; choose the best course of action by engaging your opponents physically and mentally using charm, deception, intimidation or a show of force

-There is always something new to discover in the thrilling procedurally generated expeditions, where your reputation opens up new opportunities

Screenshots:

Spoiler

caribbean_expedition.jpg

crew_selection.jpg

old_fortress.jpg

blowing_up_scorpions.jpg

shopping_for_items.jpg

science.jpg

Reviews from the Steam Store Page:

Spoiler

“It's genuinely great, like, it's one of my favorite games this year so far. It's got so much going for it, so much depth, so much character, so much replayability, great systems, unique concepts in combat, awesome presentation...” 
TotalBiscuit, The Cynical Brit 

“Here’s where I start to love Renowned Explorers. The encounters aren’t just a paper/rock/scissors system of aggressive, friendly, or devious. The more pertinent choice is whether you’re going to talk or fight. Either approach has distinct rules, with some characters suited to one or the other.” 
100 – Quartertothree - Tom Chick 

“...Renowned Explorers still stands as one of the best surprises of the year so far that wannabe adventurers of any age can enjoy. Encountering some thugs but instead of fighting, it just turns into one great big insult throwing contest where the loser runs away, foaming at the mouth. Brilliant.” 
85 – Gamewatcher - John Paul Jones 

I just got this last week and played it a couple of times, it's way more fun than I anticipated (to be fair, I had never heard of it before my first play).

Anyone else got this? What are your thoughts, you got any advice, etc etc.? I play on easy and still sometimes lose, ugh :D 

• Upvote 1

I got it in the humble monthly - hadn't heard of it before, but was very pleasantly surprised. I was put off at first because I thought the art style was very bland and for some reason assumed it was a port of a casual tablet/phone game, but it's a properly full-fledged FTL-style (well, sort of) turn-based strategy/exploration game with way more depth than I initially thought.

Same here! A friend got the humble monthly and gave me the code, and I was really only gonna check it out for a second last night and ended up playing it for quite a while, and going straight back to it today. It is way more layered than I anticipated, you get used to the art style even if it is quite off-putting at first, and the music is nice as well, gives a cozy feeling to the game.

I've only played with one crew so far and ended up getting overpowered by a bunch of friggin nuns.

Looks like so much my kind of game, added to my Steam Wishlist. Hopefully it will be on sale soon, pennies are tight!

11 hours ago, Illyria said:

a bunch of friggin nuns.

I didn't know Ken Russell had branched out into games design before his death...

• Upvote 1

By all that is holy, this is gaming crack.

Such a simple looking game that has massively deep mechanics with a bit of RNG to spice things up and some serious decision making to be done.

I love how the devs are supporting it with the weekly challenges that they put on there as well, only picked this up in the last week but it's displaced Hearthstone as my go-to game when I have a few minutes to spare.

If they keep supporting this (there is another expansion on the way), I will be playing this for a long time. All of the achievements (not looked up the secret ones) seem genuinely achievable as well. Gem of a game.

• Upvote 1