rllmuk
Illyria

Concerts - general discussion and experiences

I saw Petrol Girls tonight at the Bodega in Nottingham. Absolutely brilliant, political, angry and incendiary but tight and quite complex almost proggy punk. The room was packed and they did the whole “women and non-binary people to the front, cis blokes to the back and sides” thing which meant it had the most civilised and fun mosh pit I’ve seen in ages. I hadn’t even heard of them until this afternoon, now I’m a dedicated fan.

Off to see Slipknot (with my 12yr daughter) next Saturday at the 02. Can't wait, first gig of 2020 and I hope it's good - first time seeing them live.

Slipknot last night, straight up, they are simply one of  the best, well rehearsed , exceptionally performing live bands right now. even though oddly the Manchester arena (which i cant fucking stand these days...SIX QUID A PINT!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?) seemed to have some sound issues!?

Excellent/10

edit: @Still-life yeah...they alrite (seen them a bunch) :p

Went to Slipknot at Newcastle was incredible although my 48 year body isn’t capable of 2 hours in that kinda pit anymore, I’m aching all over today:blink:

9E72F5B9-3027-4E4A-84D5-B204B2FD7CD1.jpeg

2471EDF0-4B08-4613-86CC-2EAA8E255984.jpeg

• Upvote 2

aye, it was a great concert. Behemoth (their opening act), I'd only started listening to them a few days beforehand. AMAZING band, on my weekly rotation now - some of their stuff sounds like very early Paradise Lost, such a find.

Great concert, loved it (pull put some photos soon), nothing great but we were top right of the stage so had a great view. Daughter had a blast as well which is the important bit.

Went to Glasgow last night for The Wildhearts/Backyard Babies Co headliner show. Absolutely amazing. 5th time seeing the Wildhearts and 3rd seeing BB (although last time I saw the latter was 19 years ago so quite the gap!). 

I don't often drive to another city for a gig, but I made an exception last night for David Wax Museum playing in the back room of a pub (Greystones) in Sheffield. I've been a fan for about ten years, and being a little-known American folk band they can't afford to play in the UK very often, so I've never managed to see them before. To the best of my knowledge the only time they've ever played Nottingham was in 2011, when we were on holiday in America, so we passed like ships in the night on that occasion.

Anyway, we (me and my two boys) drove up, got there about half an hour before showtime, and were immediately told by the worried looking promoter that they hadn't sold many tickets. We went through into the back room and immediately doubled the crowd to six people. I said to the folks already there that we'd all be on first name terms by the end of the night. By the time the show started I reckon there were about 15 or 20 of us in the audience.

And then they came on to the little stage and blew us all away. They were just stunningly good, three brilliant musicians complementing each other perfectly with three part harmonies throughout. They were fizzing with energy, they were funny, they made us all feel like we were their friends hanging out and listening to them knocking out a few tunes. It was one of those gigs where you feel privileged to have been there.

I'll happily drive a lot further to see them again next time around.

It was basically this, minus the bass and brass section, plus us dozen or so in the audience:

• Upvote 2

Last night was one of my favourite types of gig - someone who until recently I'd never heard of, playing brilliantly to a tiny room full of appreciative people, including me. This time it was Amy LaVere at the Running Horse in Nottingham which is fast becoming my venue of choice. I only started going there late last year but all three shows I've seen there so far have been great. She plays Americana type stuff, sings beautifully, plays bass (with a guitarist accompanying her) and has a fantastic line in between song patter. Two of her song intros last night were among the best I've ever heard:

"This song is about my big sister. It's very important to me that you understand she is a wonderful person and I love her very much, but for the first seventeen years of her life she suffered terribly from being a complete asshole."

"I wrote this song as an attempt to save my friend's marriage, and I still think it would have worked if the new record had come out in time."

• Upvote 5

Went to the O2 Academy Birmingham in order to see what the young kids are listening to and feel very old.  For I went to see a band called Inhaler.

The support act was Feet, from Coventry.  Enthusiastic enough and they've got something about them.  They definitely wear their influences on their sleeve presentation wise - one guitarist steals his moves from The Beatles, the bass player from Sparks, the lead singer will grow into his Peter Wyngarde moustache.  I thought they were quite decent.  This is me being a crotchety old git though because they might have practiced their look and their moves, but it never felt fake or put upon.  Just something that you notice when you are old enough to have seen it the first time around.

Then to Inhaler.  The crowd were split between young 'uns and forty-something pluses like me.  Why?  Well, Inhaler are a four piece from from Dublin and the lead singer is Elijah Hewson, son of Paul Hewson, aka Bono.  So having heard their stuff, with definite U2 influences, there was a curiosity there.

And you know what... they are damned good.  With Hewson, the apple definitely hasn't fallen far from the tree in looks, charisma or stage presence.  I mean that as a compliment because for all his faults, Bono is one of the best frontmen in the world and watching his son was very much like watching his dad in 1981 (as my wife said, and she should know).  Occasionally it was uncanny in the way he'd hold a mic or stand.  But I'm being a little unfair in making these comparisons because the band are working very hard to shrug off the comparisons and do their own thing.  They are tight as hell, with the bass player a real driving force on stage next to Hewson.  They've got some excellent rock tunes without going the easy route of big stadium choruses.  OK, so most bands their age and experience don't have a multitude of guitars and a full-time guitar tech, but I get the feeling that the idea is to use those advantages to make their own thing better rather than exploit them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them make it much bigger and they will have earned it on their own merits.  

I saw inhaler at the garage in Highbury in December. It’s a small venue, maybe 600 capacity? Thought they were great. One of the best gigs I went to last year. 

600? Small? It’s all relative I suppose. :blah:

Last week I went to see a band called Megatrain, who I’d caught the end of at a festival a few weeks earlier and was impressed by, at a free gig at Surface Gallery in Nottingham. The gallery turned out to be a big empty white-walled room with the band’s gear set up in the corner. The bar was a trestle table at the back with multipacks of red stripe from a supermarket. At first it seemed like everyone in the room but me was a student or at least student aged, but then a few older and younger people turned up, who were clearly families of various band members. By the time the show started there were probably 40-50 people in the audience. The whole thing had a very DIY, student band starting out vibe that reminded me of my student days. And the band were great. They have two lead singers, male and female, and all their songs lean heavily on harmonies and vocal interplay. Great stuff. They only have a few tracks on Spotify and some of them don’t do them justice, which is a shame. This is one of their best songs though:

Then on Friday I was back at what’s rapidly becoming my favourite venue, the Running Horse in Nottingham, for another free gig, this time in a small pub room packed with maybe three dozen or so middle aged people like me. The band was Morganway who are a sort of folk rock band with an amazing lead singer, and a bunch of great musicians backing her. They’re like a folkier Fleetwood Mac or a rockier Corrs - lots of multi-part harmonies, lots of fiddle solos, and lots of songs that sound like the part of The Chain that comes after the bit they use on Formula 1. They were absolutely brilliant, and they’re now yet another entry on my “bands I’ll always go and see if I can” list. This is my favourite song of theirs although it’s not very representative as it’s their only full-on ballad.

Two more next week!

• Upvote 1

Anyone go the Strokes gig at the Roundhouse last night? Decent gig, but the sound mix sounded a little off. Some guy in front of me tried jumping head first off the balcony to kill himself but luckily a couple of girls in front of me managed to grab him and I was able to pull him back up by his ankles. 7/10.

Two more gigs for me this week, both at Nottingham Bodega.

Tuesday was Lauran Hibberd who was great, very fun and energetic, kind of indie-pop-rock with a nice mid-90s vibe, a bit Belly, a bit Elastica, a bit Sleeper. It's weird that I'm now going to see kids who are clearly influenced by stuff that came out before they were born, that I found a bit derivative at the time because I could remember the stuff those bands were themselves influenced by. Luckily I'm older and wiser now and I can just enjoy it for what it is.

There were a couple of support acts and easily the best were Spyres, even younger kids from Glasgow enjoying their first tour outside Scotland. I can't find any decent live clips so here's their debut single instead. They sounded this good live!

Then the next night I was back for The Mysterines. Again, just a bunch of kids really (to an old git like me) but these are going for more of a classic rock vibe and swagger. So there was a lot less banter but a much tighter and more aggressive performance. Very impressive.

Rock and roll is alive and well.

I'm intrigued to find out what the Sisters are like these days. I saw them three times in the late 80s/early 90s when they were already well past their prime but still pretty good. I don't think I saw the same musician twice between the three gigs! (Apart from the drummer obvs.)

Yeah I missed out on them in their heyday so seeing them on my doorstep is a bit of a no-brainer regardless of how bad they might actually be. 

This weekend I'm seeing Lianne La Havas with the BBC Symphony Orchestra at the Barbican and then Global Communications at the Jazz Cafe with @morcs:omg:

Just now, timdp said:

This weekend I'm seeing Lianne La Havas with the BBC Symphony Orchestra at the Barbican and then Global Communications at the Jazz Cafe with @morcs:omg:

I dunno if I'm coming to Global Comms, am I meant to be coming to Global Comms? :unsure:

This should probably go in the Things That Fuck You Off Thread.

I'm a huge Genesis fan but the ticket prices for the tour they just announced are a fucking joke

For The Hydro in Glasgow

Shitty Level 3 seats £85

Level 2 Seats £135 - £145 (£135 are side angled views)

Level 1 & Floor Seats £185

Front 3 blocks on the floor are VIP Tickets £400 - £800

Oh and all plus booking fee

I'm glad I've seen them live a couple of times but they can fuck right off now

On 04/03/2020 at 18:21, Hawklord said:

This should probably go in the Things That Fuck You Off Thread.

I'm a huge Genesis fan but the ticket prices for the tour they just announced are a fucking joke

For The Hydro in Glasgow

Shitty Level 3 seats £85

Level 2 Seats £135 - £145 (£135 are side angled views)

Level 1 & Floor Seats £185

Front 3 blocks on the floor are VIP Tickets £400 - £800

Oh and all plus booking fee

I'm glad I've seen them live a couple of times but they can fuck right off now

This is exactly what I came here to post (about the Hydro too)

Thing is, I’m not all that convinced it’s the band, so much as Ticketmaster’s rip off premium tickets. Notice that all of the front dozen or so row ticket required ticket plus food.

Back in 2016 I went to see a different band at the Royal Albert Hall, similar thing, ticket master premium, front 6 rows, £200. I called RAH directly and got mid 3rd row for 65, compared my tickets to some friends who bought via TM and... all face value £65...

Royal republic "gig" ...right now :)