Jump to content
rllmuk
Illyria

Concerts - general discussion and experiences

Recommended Posts

Tears for Fears last week. What a band, been listening to Mother's Talk on repeat since. That song is way underrated. It's as if Everything Everything were inspired by that song alone.

 

Yet they didn't even play it live.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead last night, playing their classic second album in full plus a few from the third and some of their popular songs. Brilliant gig (despite the crummy acoustics of The Art School). They were really enthusiastic and great. Last time I saw them I recall them seeming a bit down or something. Not this time!

 

That album was really important in developing my musical taste back when it came out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chvrches at O2 Academy in Birmingham last night 

 

good fun to watch as always, bit too much banter that couldn’t actually make out though 

FAB921B6-9190-45ED-97BB-0A37FE5865BC.jpeg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/04/2016 at 21:24, Vespa Alex said:

On a slight tangent, what bands have people seen most?

i must have seen The Wildhearts or Ginger's other bands more than twenty times. Bowling For Soup a similar number and a few others 10 times. 

Underworld - seven times

REM - six times

Radiohead five times

 

Saw The Who twice, including at Shepherds Bush Empire when John Entwistle still alive, that was incredible 

 

B-52s twice, I think they are one of the greatest live acts around 

 

Bauhaus in Brixton was amazing. a-ha in Brighton surprised me a lot as they are a superb live band with some great tunes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White Lies - Albert Hall Manchester was fantastic - a very under rated band with a new album out containing this banger!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/02/2019 at 12:48, linkster said:

Chvrches at O2 Academy in Birmingham last night 

 

good fun to watch as always, bit too much banter that couldn’t actually make out though 

FAB921B6-9190-45ED-97BB-0A37FE5865BC.jpeg

 

Saw them in Glasgow (SSE Hydro, so big venue) then again on Saturday in Newcastle (o2 Academy).

Front row centre both nights and loved every moment, well except the backing act that I really didn't get (Let's Eat Grandma). I had no issues with the banter, but I guess more I'm fluent in Scottish West coaster...

 

They had a second backing in Glasgow that I'm now hitting Spotify for, The Ninth Wave, sort of Interpol meets The Cure / new wave (don't hold me to that though!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Freeman said:

 

Saw them in Glasgow (SSE Hydro, so big venue) then again on Saturday in Newcastle (o2 Academy).

Front row centre both nights and loved every moment, well except the backing act that I really didn't get (Let's Eat Grandma). I had no issues with the banter, but I guess more I'm fluent in Scottish West coaster...

 

They had a second backing in Glasgow that I'm now hitting Spotify for, The Ninth Wave, sort of Interpol meets The Cure / new wave (don't hold me to that though!)

I am from Glasgow .. I’d have had no issue if I could have heard them, for some reason the audio was really low when they were having these moments and the fact you couldn’t hear plus they went on so long between them was kind of irritating 

 

wife already a fan of Let’s Eat Grandma, they struck me as the kind of band Lynch would have cast in Twin Peaks. They are incredibly young to have such a self indulgent set - lots of money behind them I imagine

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, linkster said:

I am from Glasgow .. I’d have had no issue if I could have heard them, for some reason the audio was really low when they were having these moments and the fact you couldn’t hear plus they went on so long between them was kind of irritating 

 

wife already a fan of Let’s Eat Grandma, they struck me as the kind of band Lynch would have cast in Twin Peaks. They are incredibly young to have such a self indulgent set - lots of money behind them I imagine

 

Haha, oops.  You missed out on some quality banter at the Hydro, including Lauren (claiming that she was...) having Buckfast for the first time.

They had the sound sorted for Glasgow and Newcastle, though Glasgow was perhaps a bit too loud - to the point that there was some speaker distortion, most notably during Science/Vision.  It seems they also added 2 songs to the setlist for Glasgow (they didn't play them in Newcastle, and looking at the setlist.fm, Birmingham missed them out too)  Good ones too - Tether and Never Ending Circles.

 

Also, an excuse to post a couple of my better shots (via my instagram) Don't judge my tagging and cheesy lines, I don't get social media! ;)

 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What was the banter or was it that you couldnt hear it properly that didnt sit quite right?

 

Theres something about female muscians, vocalists especially, that I find so captivating and dare I say arousing :wub:

 

Anyway I got a ticket for Metallica in Barcelona,  supported by Ghost and a 3rd band i cant remember just now. Its a sitting ticket which was all i could afford, since its a stadium gig i'm hoping I can slip the security person €10 to let me into the standing section. I much prefer indoor concerts but i'm stoked to be going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/02/2019 at 12:48, linkster said:

Chvrches at O2 Academy in Birmingham last night 

 

good fun to watch as always, bit too much banter that couldn’t actually make out though 

FAB921B6-9190-45ED-97BB-0A37FE5865BC.jpeg

 

I was at this gig and totally agree.  Lauren needs to stop jabbering nervously into the mic, it's a little bit embarrassing.  I think they could have fitted in a couple more songs if there was less talking on stage.

 

I did enjoy the gig overall though, really good set.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

 

I was at this gig and totally agree.  Lauren needs to stop jabbering nervously into the mic, it's a little bit embarrassing.  I think they could have fitted in a couple more songs if there was less talking on stage.

 

I did enjoy the gig overall though, really good set.

Agreed, it's the second time I've seen them at this venue (I miss the old Brum O2, that layout was fucking amazing - the trouble with this place is if you stand to the side under the balconies the audio is really pretty ropey)

 

Quick blast of Clearest Blue on iphone-o-vision

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We saw Chvrches the other week in Manchester. One thing that always strikes me when you see them live is the layers building on top each other to create a really powerful sound. It’s something that is slightly missing from the recorded tracks. I don’t know if this is a production thing or simply a volume thing. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/02/2019 at 17:40, Barrow48 said:

We saw Chvrches the other week in Manchester. One thing that always strikes me when you see them live is the layers building on top each other to create a really powerful sound. It’s something that is slightly missing from the recorded tracks. I don’t know if this is a production thing or simply a volume thing. 

 

Funnily enough I didn't really like them until I first saw them live - kind of got dragged along by the missus, so yeah I know exactly what you mean. There's an energy that comes across from the sets too - Under the Tide is a great live track, it's a bit kind of naval gazing on record but live it's just bonkers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Also went to see Sleeper recently, here's a little clip of Sale of the Century

 

I'm hazy but I might have seen them in 97 at V festival. I defo saw her in the street once, in that way you think it's someone you know cos they are familiar, then she rolled her eyes at me and I went "oooooh, it's you"

 

Anyway, cos of Spotify I've been listening to them a lot and really like them, round time they announced first tour in 30 years

 

Honestly - might sound mean but I never think the band should enjoy the gig more than the audience, to the extent of treating it like a karaoke night

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The B-52s are doing a 'farewell' European tour, just announced. Seen them twice in the last 10 years and they are defo in my top five live bands, such a brilliant experience, even when Fred looks like he is worried to touch anything in Birmingham. Which is maybe why they've skipped it this time (and Scotland) so Notthingham it is! Tickets on sale Friday ...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year i went to the Roger Water's US + THEM TOUR in São Paulo, Brazil.

It was the first ''real'' show that i ever went to, it was amazing, simply awesome. At one point in the show, a list of countries showed up with name of president candidates with fascist ideals, Brazil included, starring Bolsonaro. And more than a half of the crowd started booing Roger, mainly in the end of the show, when the phrase ''ELE NÃO'' showed up in the screen, it's a form of protest in here.

Roger was booed in many of the capitals where the show ocurred, but i was in the first day that this ocurred, the exactly single day. It was a crazy day.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2019 at 00:35, wanderai said:

Last year i went to the Roger Water's US + THEM TOUR in São Paulo, Brazil.

It was the first ''real'' show that i ever went to, it was amazing, simply awesome. At one point in the show, a list of countries showed up with name of president candidates with fascist ideals, Brazil included, starring Bolsonaro. And more than a half of the crowd started booing Roger, mainly in the end of the show, when the phrase ''ELE NÃO'' showed up in the screen, it's a form of protest in here.

Roger was booed in many of the capitals where the show ocurred, but i was in the first day that this ocurred, the exactly single day. It was a crazy day.

 

 

 

I find it fascinating when people who claim to be fans of overtly political artists like Neil Young, Pearl Jam kick off when they talk about their views.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kieran said:

 

 

I find it fascinating when people who claim to be fans of overtly political artists like Neil Young, Pearl Jam kick off when they talk about their views.

It was a mix of ''laughing my ass off'' and ''oh fuck look at these people... my people'', it was a very weird day.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

in the last coupepl of wweeks ive spent a oup[le hundred on gig tickets ...lol

 

Wildhearts may

download june

GnR exprinence july also possibly the wildhearts again!

Static X, Soil, Wednesday 13, Dope oct,

Royal Republic oct

The Midnight nov

Bury tomorrow dec

 

...think i need summit for Aug and Sept!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just back from Hot Chip at village underground. They were great. Good new material and some excellent reworkings of old stalwarts. Cover of sabotage might be the best bit :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lucas said:

Just back from Hot Chip at village underground. They were great. Good new material and some excellent reworkings of old stalwarts. Cover of sabotage might be the best bit :)

Saw them more than 10 years ago in Brum at the Carling academy. Desperately miss that venue, one of the best ever, there simply wasn't a bad place to stand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Pop Will Eat Itself live last night in Bristol, and Neds.  Poppies were amazing as they played all of This is the day so got to enjoy Not now James and Wise up sucker live. Calves ain’t half aching today from pogoing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cassidy said:

Saw Pop Will Eat Itself live last night in Bristol, and Neds.  Poppies were amazing as they played all of This is the day so got to enjoy Not now James and Wise up sucker live. Calves ain’t half aching today from pogoing.

So fucking jealous!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone want to see Oh Sees at the Albert Hall in Manchester on Saturday night?

 

I've got two etickets, I don't want to go through the hassle of selling them so they can go for free to the first person interested. They're a great live band but I can't go as I'd forgotten it's Eurovision that night and I have an annual Eurovision tradition that I can't miss!

 

Edit: Gone!

  • Empathy 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the Gods of Rap show in Manchester.

 

DJ Premier - superb, a legend, got the whole crowd pumped. Played 3 x 30-45 minute sets before each act. Highlight was the whole crowd singing the T.R.O.Y tune.

De La Soul - played a bit of everything, very good and entertaining as hell.

Public Enemy - no Flavor Flav. Chuck D is a legend still. Obviously nowhere near as good as their heyday, but still decent.

Wu-Tang Clan - just fucking excellent. Heard mixed reviews of their live shows, but I really enjoyed their set. Even higher in my regard than they already were. Method Man wasn't there, but RZA, Ghostface, Raekwon and the rest were on top top form!

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

Oh man, priorities! 

 

I know right! I'm keeping someone else happy though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the specials at Kentish Town forum last night. They were special :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Bullets and Octane last night, they were great! :)

the amount of people there made me sad though...less that a hundred... :(

IMGP7066S.thumb.jpg.c3c76b7beeb0e5e48709c48fd177a0fb.jpg

 

IMGP7161S.thumb.jpg.0932df230a815f64c6bad4228f3babad.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.