rllmuk
Illyria

Concerts - general discussion and experiences

Just got back from seeing Bikini Kill, who my wife wanted to see.

Turns out I really like Bikini Kill.

Was lucky enough to see Billy Corgan doing a solo set in Glasgow last night in an old church. Most likely the smallest venue I will ever see him in. Two sets over two hours. It really was something special. 

• Upvote 1

Rammstein. Milton Keynes. Holy fuckballs.

Are they genuinely trying to kill Flake? How does he agree to doing that?

Spoiler

He gets a direct hit from a flamethrower. Three times.

Nutter.

• Upvote 3

For all the madness I imagine their organisation is ridiculously professional so nobody gets cooked or kills someone in the audience :lol:

That's T In The Park officially dead. I'd not been since 2005 but had some absolutely phenomenal weekends before that so I feel a bit sad. I guess the rationale for replacing it with Transmit is they aren't being held responsible for shit that goes on in a campsite and don't have to find a location 50000 can drive to but judging by the enormous numbers of absolutely wrecked teenagers in town today they'll have new problems to deal with.

One of the best gigs I ever attended was a rammstein show at the old SECC back in about 2005. That's an indoor convention centre isn't used for gigs anymore because they've built better venues next door. The pyro was amazing and the bass was unreal. They did the exact same bit with Flake and the flamethrower then. They've never played in Scotland since and supposedly it's because either the venue or the council (who actually own that venue anyway) were furious with them and won't let them get health and safety clearance or something. 

I'm hopeful they'll add a Scottish stadium date to the Coventry and Belfast ones next year. Even if it's Aberdeen or Edinburgh instead of Glasgow. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/07/2019 at 16:31, deerokus said:

One of the best gigs I ever attended was a rammstein show at the old SECC back in about 2005. That's an indoor convention centre isn't used for gigs anymore because they've built better venues next door. The pyro was amazing and the bass was unreal. They did the exact same bit with Flake and the flamethrower then. They've never played in Scotland since and supposedly it's because either the venue or the council (who actually own that venue anyway) were furious with them and won't let them get health and safety clearance or something. 

I'm hopeful they'll add a Scottish stadium date to the Coventry and Belfast ones next year. Even if it's Aberdeen or Edinburgh instead of Glasgow. 

Nope.  No they didn't.  That would be Flake in the cooking pot.  Then from 2012 onwards he was still in the pot, but Till would motion to the crowd "I need a bigger flame thrower" and then get one, with added flame and explosions.

This time.

Spoiler

Flake gets out of the pot, puts on a hood and dances in front of a huge flame cannon that Till fires straight at him.

Spoiler

On 12/07/2019 at 16:31, deerokus said:

I was at that gig too. Also went to see them in Glasgow the time before with American Head Charge supporting. Fingers crossed they come to Aberdeen, as we have a new exhibition centre away to open which will be the 2nd largest indoor venue in Scotland. Would love to see them a third time.  

I've been to a few great gigs in recent months. Best of the lot was Mattiel at Nottingham Rescue Rooms, a week after they played Glastonbury. They were buzzing, and tight as the proverbial gnat's chuff. Their Glasto performance is on the iPlayer, but instead of playing in daylight to a half-empty field, imagine that on a tiny stage in a packed 450-capacity room from a few feet away. They're definitely on the "will always go and see them whenever they tour" list now.

IMG_0076.jpeg.d2020fccc1670c0f684d306d851edb04.jpeg

I'm off to see Jenny Lewis tonight at the same venue, which should be good too.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else planning on getting Green Day/Weezer/FOB tickets next week? 

I live GD and Weezer so this is a bit of a dream line up for me. 

I went to a Green Day gig years ago but got so drunk I don’t remember any of it at all.

Seeing The Pixies tonight!

9 hours ago, deerokus said:

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard at the barras last night was INTENSE. Fantastic gig.

I was raging that I couldn't make that. Fucking love them and they don't come up over here very often. 

Yeah, last time they played Glasgow was about two weeks before i got into them. This was worth the wait, one of the sweatiest gigs I've been at in ages. 

I nearly had a disaster, left my tickets at home! By time all sorted out I had missed the support bands, a pity as a I like Stonefield.

• Upvote 1

Was that at The ABC? I missed them then as well due to being away with work. One day I'll get to see them lol

On 13/09/2019 at 12:06, Mike1812 said:

Anyone else planning on getting Green Day/Weezer/FOB tickets next week? 

I live GD and Weezer so this is a bit of a dream line up for me. 

My wife and I have tickets. We need to sort out childcare though.

Went to see Killswitch Engage at Melkweg in Amsterdam. It was an awesome show and Melkweg is one of favourite places to see a band, has anyone ever been there? If not its well worth a visit.

saw Royal Republic last week, a band that is full stop BETTER live then on cd!

Went to my first gig in a decade last night, Machine Head at the Brixton Academy.  They’re doing a 25th anniversary tour for their debut album Burn My Eyes.  The first gig I went to was them touring their second album The More Things Change in ‘97 at the Barras in Glasgow.

It was fucking great, there were no support acts just MH playing two shows.  The current line up played a “greatest hits” style show for two hours (nothing of BME tho), then Chris Kontos & Logan Mader (original line up) took over on drums & lead guitar to play through Burn My Eyes, with a few covers thrown in at the end (Metallica, Slayer, RATM).  They played for about three hours, there was an enforced break when some cunt fried the sound desk with a beer.

When I booked the tickets I went for the seated section (bad back) and I’m glad I did, although I spent a good deal on my feet I couldn’t have done it all & wouldn’t have survived on the floor.  What surprised me a bit was just how much I got into it, singing along with everything, etc.  I loved it, it was like being back somewhere I belonged after a long absence.  And as usual (most) metal fans are the nicest people.

681489EA-B429-4F09-AB73-8C85A912C3FF.thumb.jpeg.2fbd73de6cebf220fcbcc62b92e9e518.jpeg

0F6C8F05-287D-4A73-AE89-E5F2C034DE9B.thumb.jpeg.ee01a3e46f759a6e5921ed48bb839d2a.jpeg

B269296D-A667-4A02-A367-B3F58520DBBB.thumb.jpeg.c48b5124a5f180177aee7b914b65b4c6.jpeg

• Upvote 2