IGNORED

I wish I was born 20 years before I was...

Fry Crayola

Codemasters Darling brothers were offering 10 000 to anyone who could make them a game to be released, the Olivers busted their asses for about 4-6 weeks, made Robin Hood on the speccy, 10 000 in the pocket at about 13 back in those days :( , the rest is history.

Not really, the pioneers risked their futures on something that wasn't certain and was totally new. And so coders were few and far between and got paid more due to their scarcity. Everything risky or by chance is 'jammy' in hindsight if you don't actually take hindsight into consideration.

Guest Penguin_Lad
I'm talking about the coders themselves. A bunch of hobbyists who hit the big time because someone else took the chance.

£7k per month for a 17 year old is something that only really crops up by luck - you can't predict that.

However, if the games were really shit, perhaps they wouldn't have been so successful.

There are people around now making plenty of money from selling small, successful indie games on the Internet. Maybe not a months work, but perhaps only 6 or so.

You guys are just unaware of these people, because they do not release big commercial games.

A game being sold on the Internet has millions of potential customers and an indefinite shelf-life.

Just flicked through Retro Gamer, and what do I see in the Mastertronic article?

£2000 up front, then 10p a game, usually selling about 50,000 copies?

£7000 for a months work? FUCK!

What's the chances of that now?

A months work?

We made a lot of games for Mastertronic back in 85-87. They took 2-3 months with at least 2 people on them full time.

Places like RealArcade pay good royalties on simple games now. I'm told you can make quite a lot every month in royalties if you have a successful game on there.

A months work was a rough figure - and I reckon you could knock up a game in a month if you based it on some of your previous work (e.g. you could create a platformer, then release about four games based on the same engine). Only in my mind though, I've no idea what the system was like at the time. I was 2.

Where/What/How's RealArcade?

A months work was a rough figure - and I reckon you could knock up a game in a month if you based it on some of your previous work (e.g. you could create a platformer, then release about four games based on the same engine). Only in my mind though, I've no idea what the system was like at the time. I was 2.

Where/What/How's RealArcade?

Well I actually did it and the games took 4-6 man months. Plus you needed music.

We didn't have "engines" in those days. We just wrote the game from scratch mostly, just carrying over a core set of low-level routines.

http://www.realarcade.com/

The PC version of Sticky Balls may be appearing on there soon.

New Star Soccer took about six months to program and over the last six months i've made something like £5000 from it (before the taxman gets his share.) I've heard that some indie developers who have gone full time are making up to $100,000 a year. They usually have a roster of games (like www.dexterity.com) and they usually over-charge, but there's still money to be made these days thanks to this glorious internet.

£5k? Not bad at all. Maybe I'm living in the right time after all.

I'm thinking of selling my game, if I ever get around to doing it properly (bloody exams) and wouldn't mind knowing the best way to do it. Selling it myself (i.e. I process all the orders) is out of the question, because people prefer credit cards and stuff rather than sending cheques and I haven't a clue what to do with pieces of plastic.

Anyone got any good ideas? I've looked at shareit.com, which both Blitz and AOCS use, and it seems ok - they take about €2.50 at the minute per sale, but if I'm selling at €15/£10 that's over £8 profit.

I'm talking about the future anyhow. Have to get my arse in gear and get some work done.

Guest Penguin_Lad

Fry if you were born 20 years before you were, you'd not have experienced SWOS at the right time. In fact you'd have loads of shit games to play. Or NO games at all.

Also, you'd be really old now.

I'm thinking of selling my game, if I ever get around to doing it properly (bloody exams) and wouldn't mind knowing the best way to do it. Selling it myself (i.e. I process all the orders) is out of the question, because people prefer credit cards and stuff rather than sending cheques and I haven't a clue what to do with pieces of plastic.

Anyone got any good ideas? I've looked at shareit.com, which both Blitz and AOCS use, and it seems ok - they take about €2.50 at the minute per sale, but if I'm selling at €15/£10 that's over £8 profit.

I'm talking about the future anyhow. Have to get my arse in gear and get some work done.

Send it to realarcade. If they like it they'll offer you a deal and put it through their testing process; you'll get a ton of very useful feedback.

You need someone else to take credit card payments for you if you want to save the hassle of setting up a business account and processing orders. I'm currently looking at either eSellerate who take up to %15 of each sale and offer a great service, or Plimus who charge something like 10% if your game sells for $10+.

For some quality advice from indie developers try this forum.

Tell you what Siread, I've looked at your site and noticed NSS is going for £4. That's always been the price, hasn't it? If so, that means you've sold over a thousand copies - how'd you manage to get so many people to hear about it? I'd guess through forums, and people telling people telling people, but I'd only imagine about 20-30 sales per forum, and I doubt it reached 40-odd forums...

Though I suppose the £4 price helps... wouldn't mind knowing your secret.

Anyhow - most important thing is I get my game made. It's coming along nicely, and now the exams are finished I'll get stuck into it again.

One word...

Download.com

(Or is that two?)

It's costs $80 to get listed on the site but the return is immense. The first couple of weeks sees massive hits to your site as you are listed in the New Releases section, then if you get enough clicks you get into the Top 50 games, and the downloads keep coming. I stayed in the top 50 for about a month, after that the sales started to decline. I'm down to about 2-4 sales a day now. The trick with download.com is always re-direct to their download page from your website, even if the file is hosted on your site.

Other than that, yes forums work well. I got loads of orders from the guys over at the SIGAMEs forum (even received a mail from Marc Vaughan to say he liked the game :( ) and i've also advertised in World Soccer, 4-4-2 and Shoot. Magazine ads are costly though and i didn't see much of an increase from that. Oh, and my proudest moment... 4 Star review in ComputerActive! That week saw my sales double. They also have it on their downloads website which gets the game noticed.

One other thing that gets me massive traffic is my WE7 Master Class page. Every Pro Evo forum seems to have mentioned it and the movies get more downloads than NSS.