May PS+

deKay

,Drift tyres make Table Top Racing more enjoyable, but then in pro level you need to abandon them to do well. The yellow car with normal tyres makes pro level ridiculously easy as it grips like a bastard and you can take load of corners without slowing down. So the game actually became less enjoyable and even easier. Shooting scenery or jumping with bouncy tyres mostly rewards you with coins rather than opening up short cuts worth taking in an actual race, so both are disappointing. There's potential for this to have been a moderately enjoyable racer, it looks okay and the icecube power up is actually pretty ace, but there's little genuine quality and depth to the thing.  I had a go online and all that succeeded in doing was making me sad that we'll probably not get another Modnation Racers. It then glitched like shit with a misile continually circling my vehicle without exploding, repeatedly smashing my car until I fell off the track.

Switched it off and deleted it so I'm not tempted to have another go.

At least it encouraged me to have another magnificent Mario Kart 8 session. Fuck me Sony you dicks get your arse in gear and make a decent multiplayer arcade racer on PS4. The system is crying out for one. 

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Historically they've struggled badly with that.

Modnation and LBP karting were generally awful.

No they weren't. Modnation was superb, wonderful drifting and plenty of depth and room for strategy with the way the items and boost system worked. It might not impress that much visually, but it's the best kart racer for multiplayer that isn't Mario Kart. LBP Karting simplified the formula a bit, presumable to make it more accessible, but was still great fun.

And Sony treated us to Wipeout and the Motorstorm series last gen too.

I get why we haven't had one on PS4 yet, it's tricky to make an arcade racer that sells well. But it's not impossible. Maybe we will enter a new stage in the PS4s life now. They've concentrated on chasing the core XBOX type gamer and now will try and broaden the appeal of the system with more "fun" games. Ratchet and Clank's success shows that the appetite is there. 

Well, pick of the bunch for me this month is God of War. Table Top Racing is garbage, Tropico 5 seems nice, but not really my thing and Bionic Commando 2 seems like a poor sequel to the first game. God of War looks great and plays pretty well too. Hard to believe it's a PSP game in places.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

No!

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

(You'd just need to get a dev that can do racing.)

Someone like, say Sumo Digital?

Can't imagine they'd ever make any racing bits for a Lego game though. Apart from the racing bits they did for Lego Dimensions. But if you ignore that, definitely not.

No idea why TTR is getting such a kicking. Decent little game. Reminds me of Toy Commander/Re-Volt. Probably had more fun with it than I've had with Dirt:Rally. Up to the last championship and it gets better the further you get into it. Handling is fine, it's not meant to be a Mario Kart clone or a drift racer, it's all about taking the racing line. Some decent tracks (especially later on), good mix of events, weapons work well, no ridiculous rubber banding or cheating CPU opponents. Graphics do there job and the music works really well. Played it for hrs online and offline and not seen a single glitch either. I'd say it's a solid 7/10. Had no idea it was by the guy that created Wipeout! 

Tropico's really good too. Great month for PS+. :)

Tropico 5 is fantastic.  They've designed the interface for consoles really well, so it never seems to get in the way.  It's a lot less confusing than previous titles in the series that I've played, too.  On top of this is a great soundtrack and some genuinely funny jokes.  My scientists discovered a new breed of wide-eared marmoset, and by naming it after the king, I gained favour with both the crown and the anti-royalist revolutionaries.

Put me down as another hater of TTR though.  The "terrible kart racer" genre is a crowded one, but it sits quite proudly as one of the more terrible, in my opinion.  I've already uninstalled it, and will never play it again.  Life is too short to waste on such dross.

1 hour ago, Fully Aspel said:

No idea why TTR is getting such a kicking. Decent little game. Reminds me of Toy Commander/Re-Volt. Probably had more fun with it than I've had with Dirt:Rally. Up to the last championship and it gets better the further you get into it. Handling is fine, it's not meant to be a Mario Kart clone or a drift racer, it's all about taking the racing line. Some decent tracks (especially later on), good mix of events, weapons work well, no ridiculous rubber banding or cheating CPU opponents. Graphics do there job and the music works really well. Played it for hrs online and offline and not seen a single glitch either. I'd say it's a solid 7/10. Had no idea it was by the guy that created Wipeout! 

Tropico's really good too. Great month for PS+. :)

Have to say I agree, reading a lot of the comments here I thought I was missing something and shouldn't be having as much fun as I was. Sure, I'd have thought it a bit shallow for £15-£20 but absolutely no complaints as a freebie.

I'm not a huge fan of kart Racers, but I played through TTR, getting the platinum trophy, so it can't be that bad.

Only issues for me were the ridiculously low difficulty level and lack of championships. I think it took me about 10 hours in all and the only two events I struggled with were the two pursuit ones in the last set of challenges, until I worked out which shortcuts to take.