Star Wars - the new canon

Darren

I’ve come to the realisation that the cartoons just aren’t for me. I’ve got all the Clone Wars and Rebels on dvd/blu-ray and never finished either series, which is a sure sign they just don’t grab me. So books that tie in with them aren’t a big draw for me, although some of them are great in their own right (Ahsoka and Dark Disciple spring to mind).

I still need to read Dark Disciple.  I do remember you saying you weren't sold on the cartoons - I'm rewatching The Clone Wars on Disney + and there are a LOT of episodes which don't really do a lot for me.  When it's good it's absolutely awesome but it's not exactly consistent in that regard.

It's a bit annoying that that's the only one on sale today - especially as I bought it full price a few months ago! - but it's a great book and an absolute no-brainer at 99p.

51atDMIkBtL.jpg

This (volume 13!) is the very last part of the Marvel's ongoing Star Wars saga that has taken the story from immediately after the events of A New Hope and ends immediately before The Empire Strikes Back.  (Of course, that's not the end for Marvel, the new Star Wars series follows on after Empire but starts again from issue 1, because that's how comics work apparently.) As such you might expect this to be a Resistance Reborn-style tying together of the many threads that have appeared over the years, and it kind of is, but also isn't. The first half of this book is the actual end of the ongoing Star Wars storyline, which concludes the story which began in volume 12, but does so in quite a messy and unsatisfactory way. Sadly the payoff is nowhere near as good as the previous volume's buildup. The rest of the book is the  one-off comic Empire Ascendant, which itself consists of a several unconnected epilogues to other stories that have appeared in other comics but in parallel with the main Star Wars title, including Doctor Aphra and Vader. These vary in quality but even the best of them aren't great. Overall it's a disappointing end to a series that has maintained a pretty high overall quality over several years and multiple writers.

Hmm.. methinks Amazon are doing one Star Wars Kindle book a day for 99p.

Today's offering is Empire's End by Chuck Wendig, which is okay but pointless unless you've read the first 2 instalments of the Aftermath trilogy (part 1 is a bit crap, part 2 is very good).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Aftermath-Empires-End-ebook/dp/B01N2KECRO/ref=lp_5400977031_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1588677255&sr=1-3

Please offer Thrawn Alliances/Thrawn Treason/Dark Disciple next as I've not got those!

Today's 99p Star Wars offering is a bit of a treat - the excellent Master and Apprentice by her Highness Claudia Gray

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FR4HRFF/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c2_x_3_t?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=6PMH5C6E349XBMYEB0XS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=f919c5f8-edf0-4006-8e4e-0da74f867846&pf_rd_i=5400977031

Some good and recent books in these deals!

• 1 month later...

41QY7viNbKL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I finally got round to reading this and I'm kicking myself for leaving it so long. It's really good! As others have said, it's not quite as good as the superb first book, but it's better and much more consistent than the second one. And unlike the second, this actually picks up and continues the story from the first - and it's a great story too. Thrawn is his usual smartest person in the room type self, but now he has more of his fellow Chiss along for the ride to discombobulate all the Imperials they come into contact with. Meanwhile those Imperials are all plotting and scheming against each other, blissfully unaware that old blue-bonce is always at least three steps ahead of all of them like an alien Sherlock Holmes.

I was never the biggest fan of Zahn's old Heir to the Empire trilogy (sacrilege I know) but I found this new Thrawn trilogy to be much more up my street. So I'm glad that there's going to be (at least) another trilogy following this one. I'll try to read them a bit closer to publication next time!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve gotten back into Kieron Gillen’s Darth Vader again and it’s great fun. I kind of run out of steam with it a bit sometimes but find it great in short bursts. Have to go back to Doctor Aphra once I’ve finished the run.

Also started Heir to the Empire which I’m enjoying a lot. Got Lost Stars set up to go next.

Finished Gillen’s initial Vader run now and loved it. Aphra gives it a real Guardians of the Galaxy vibe, and I mean that as a compliment, but Vader is most definitely written as Vader.

Apart from the main stories the best thing about them was watching the continuing story of General Tagge (Don Henderson/Boon) and Admiral Ozzel (Michael Sheard/Mr Bronson). A fantastic legacy they’ve both left to the Star Wars universe, although I doubt their estates get a penny. Also something lovely that will be completely lost on anyone under 40 who isn’t British.

Right, Heir to the Empire next.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a33442003/star-wars-high-republic-skywalker-saga-connection/

So, they are starting a new set of books set in a new time period referred to as "The High Republic" era. Roughly 200 years before the movies and existing materials and a point in time when the Jedi are at their best and the Republic is regaling. Interestingly there is still an "Old Republic" that is much older again, keeping in line with existing expanded works which they appear to be unwilling to explore at the moment.

I assume this is the first series in the new Disney canon era to finally make a break from the Skywalker era (although there are obviously ties including San Tekka family being heavily included) and I for one am looking forward to it! Have been in a bit of a Star Wars funk since RoS.

HighRepublic-PhilNoto_compress51.thumb.jpg.185e9c4175db6ae7186d9fb5f496df99.jpg

On 13/07/2020 at 19:41, womblingfree said:

Finished Gillen’s initial Vader run now and loved it. Aphra gives it a real Guardians of the Galaxy vibe, and I mean that as a compliment, but Vader is most definitely written as Vader.

Apart from the main stories the best thing about them was watching the continuing story of General Tagge (Don Henderson/Boon) and Admiral Ozzel (Michael Sheard/Mr Bronson). A fantastic legacy they’ve both left to the Star Wars universe, although I doubt their estates get a penny. Also something lovely that will be completely lost on anyone under 40 who isn’t British.

Right, Heir to the Empire next.

This year's Vader series just (after a long Covid delay) reached #3. It's about post-ESB Vader teaming up with some familiar (and vengeful faces) from Episodes I & II to discover exactly what happened to Padme. It's both a touching trip down memory lane and deliciously sad and doom-laden as you wait for the truth to come out...

My only complaint is that the author seemingly doesn't have enough faith in the idea of a mostly silent and faceless protagonist so he dumps an incredibly annoying droid to fill up some dialogue space and relieve the tension.

• 3 weeks later...

The main Star Wars run is inconsistent but generally good, especially early on when it tied in closely with Gillen’s Vader running in parallel.

The various Vader comics are almost universally excellent regardless of who’s writing them (although I haven’t read the latest post-ESB ones yet).

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed it despite not getting on with the clone wars cartoon and not watching it beyond the first couple of seasons, so I didn’t get any of the references to events from the series. So I’m probably not the best person to judge but even so I’d say it’s one of the better books.

I love Clone Wars and Rebels so I'm probably the target audience for the Ahsoka novel!  And yes - it's decent and definitely worth a read.  She's such an ace character and she's handled really well.  The story is a perfect intermission between Clone Wars and Rebels (even more so following the superb season 7 of CW).

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the entire Dr Aphra run now and it was really excellent throughout. The one thing I thought was off key was right at the end with...

Spoiler

her total and utter take-down of Vader, reducing him to a useless shell.

While I can see how it made a good finale...

Spoiler

I thought it took away from the mystique of Vader who up until now had only been bettered by Luke as far as we knew. Even Ahsoka only managed to wound him, so the idea that this character set up as a wise-cracking sociopath looking out for herself, albeit obviously actually on the right side when it counts, could so utterly have him on his knees felt a bit off key. Especially as throughout the Vader and Aphra runs he is so in control that it makes you uneasy whenever he’s around. Her hand in helping the rebels on Hoth and switcheroo of the PR ladies plan was already a great end.

Still probably my favourite Star Wars comic so far, along with Vader.

• 3 weeks later...

After the Thrawn trilogy is it worth reading the Fate of the Jedi series?Looking for a satisfying continuation and conclusion to the Mara Jade, Ben, Jaina and Jacen arcs.

Not sure I can do both those and all the Legacy of the Force books beforehand. So either one, or just the best individual books?? Or any others that are better than both lots?

I never read beyond the original trilogy (assuming you mean Heir to the Empire etc) so I don’t know. But this is the new canon thread! :quote:

Spoiler

;)

I’ve not posted in here for ages because I’m reading Shadow Fall, the sequel to Alphabet Squadron, and it’s taking ages because it’s just not gripping me at all. I will get there eventually...

Abandoned getting deeper into the post Jedi Legends and have a reading order I think makes sense now.

Darth Plagueis (reading this now for Halloween) > Revenge of the Sith > Leia: Princess of Alderaan > Lost Stars > Bloodlines, then the new Thrawn stuff if I haven’t run out of steam.

All get generally great reviews.

Got Ahsoka as an Audible book too, read by Ashley Eckstein.

Nice Claudia Gray “trilogy” in the middle of that lot.

I think I might be about to break my promise to read every new canon book. I’m finding Shadow Fall completely uninteresting, to the point that reading it is starting to feel like a chore. Life’s too short I think. I might have to abandon it half way.

• 4 weeks later...

So this isn’t new canon news specifically, but this is the nearest to an all encompassing Star Wars book club thread we have (hey, not a bad thread title!)

It seems that when Disney bought Lucasfilm, Fox and their vast libraries of material, that they stopped paying writers of many of the Expanded Universe novels royalties. Why? They claim they bought the publication rights but not the contractual obligations, which seems like unbelievable garbage.

"Famed science fiction and fantasy writer Alan Dean Foster, writer of multiple book series, numerous novelizations of film scripts and more than 20 novels, will hold a joint press conference with Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America on Wednesday, November 18 at 2:00 p.m. Eastern/1:00 p.m. Central/ 11:00 a.m. Pacific. Foster and SFWA will discuss the non-payment by Disney of several contracts for works including multiple Star Wars and Aliens novelizations. 

Foster was originally contracted to write the Alien novelizations by Titan Books, and the Star Wars novelizations by Lucasfilm. Both companies regularly paid his royalties. When The Walt Disney Company acquired the rights to these novelizations in 2015, the payments stopped although the books continue to be sold. Disney continues to get money for the books. Alan Dean Foster, and possibly other authors with similar contracts, have not been paid.

Foster and SFWA will discuss the fact the contracts are contracts and that Disney must pay this author and any author to whom they owe royalty checks."

Hopefully these authors who spent months and years creating these works will get paid now that their union is on the case. 

https://thewertzone.blogspot.com/2020/11/sfwa-takes-aim-at-disney-for-non.html