IGNORED

Sony PSP Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

You heard.

It's retro enough.

I was having a rummage around in one of my Boxes That Has Everything In ItTM at the weekend and I found a PSP I'd completely forgotten I had.  I think I bought it off Pavey a few years ago.  Anyway, turns out it's a naughty PSP so I can play [chinny reckon] back ups of all of my original UMD's [/chinny reckon].  I had a couple of them over the years so much like the SNES, I'm familiar with all the popular games but I'd love some recommendations of lesser known ace games or ones I might otherwise overlook.  I spent a couple of hours playing Killzone Liberation yesterday.  What a superb game and it still looks great too!  I played a bit of Field Commander too. That always looked like shit but it plays a great game of Advance Wars.  They were a couple of my old faves along with Loco Roco, Lumines, Ridge Racer and a few others I've since forgotten about.  I don't recall exactly, but I doubt I've played any games released after 2008 or so. I don't like JRPG's or Monster Hunter type games so probably rules out mostly everything.

Recommendations:

Gitaroo Man, Patchwork Heroes*, Outrun 2006, Capcom Puzzle World (has Puzzle Fighter on it), Powerstone Collection, Ridge Racer, Rock Band Unplugged, Sega Rally, Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, Wipeout Pure/Pulse (I can't remember which of these I enjoyed most).

*Patchwork Heroes is great up to the point I've played to.  I bought the Jp release while in Japan, see, as the Eu version is digital only and I got stuck on a level where I clearly don't understand the objective and I never got round to looking for a translation.  I should probably grab the digital version off PSN at some point.

Edit: I also really enjoyed collecting badges in Activision Hits Remixed, but you probably need a love of Atari and super rosy specs to enjoy it as much as I did.

Edit#2: I really, really enjoyed Every Extend Extra too, though I can't actually remember much about how it plays now.

Edit#3: Oh yeah, and Darius Burst.  Although that's been superceded by the Vita/PS4 versions now.

Edit#4: The Blazblue games are surprisingly impressive and play like a dream.

Ace, cheers.  I'll definitely be having some Outrun, Street Fighter and SEGA Rally!  I should probably mention I've already got Burnout Legends, KZL, Field Commander, Loco Roco and Dungeons & Dragons Tactics.

I've got a few emulators on it (and plan to add more) so I'm not overly fussed about the various retro anthologies.

if you're planning on emulating Atari gubbins though, the compilation I mentioned is definitely worth playing over a 2600 emulator.  The presentation is ace, plus you can unlock game ads, view box art etc while winning Activision patches.  It's a lovely package.

IIRC my favourite emulators were PicoDrive for Mega Drive, which is just lovely, PSPVice for C64. I can't remember what I used for PCE.  HuE perhaps.

I'm tempted to say I'm now going to have dig mine out, but I know I just don't have time for it at the moment.  The gf and I always used to take two PSPs on long journeys for Puzzle Fighter, SF Alpha, Puyo Puyo and Darkstalkers battles.  Such a great little machine.

14 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Here's the old Essentials thread. Although there are some JRPGs in there...

Good stuff, thanks.  Castlevania Dracula X chronicles is going on the list!

I've got a PCE emulator on there already which seems good.  It's called PC Engine Hu Go by ZX-81.  There's Daedalus on there too, an N64 emulator, but it seems pretty buggy.  I played some Starfox 64 which worked nicely without sound but when I tried it with sound on it killed the PSP to the extent that it needed a soft reset.  I'll probably sack that one off and stick to 16-bit stuff.  SNES 9X is on there but the sound appears to be really slow.

The CFW runs from the 660 Pro recovery tool on the memory card - does anyone who's keen with this stuff know if I can simply copy and paste this utility onto a bigger card via my PC and have it still work, or is there more to it than that?  It's only a 4Gb card, ya see.

Yeah SNES isn't ever going to run well without frame skips. 

I can't remember much about the whole CFW thing.  I know I used a pandora battery to do my two, but that's probably not even required any more.  I should probably pick up a 3000 at some point to go with my 1000 and 2000.  Would be nice to have one on OFW so I can just stick any game in there.

1 hour ago, Camel said:

if you're planning on emulating Atari gubbins though, the compilation I mentioned is definitely worth playing over a 2600 emulator.  The presentation is ace, plus you can unlock game ads, view box art etc while winning Activision patches.  It's a lovely package.

I had that one. It lets you put 80s pop on in the background whilst you play. It is easily the most interesting package.

19 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Ace, cheers.  I'll definitely be having some Outrun, Street Fighter and SEGA Rally!  I should probably mention I've already got Burnout Legends, KZL, Field Commander, Loco Roco and Dungeons & Dragons Tactics.

PSP Sega Rally got damn hard as you progressed. So good though. Space Invaders Extreme was fantastic too.

Burnout Legends is excellent.  What was Dominator like? Legends is proper old school Burnout from before it went shit and OTT.

I'm adoring KZL again and Chilli Con Carnage is just glorious fun.  The close ups of surprised looking chickens crack me up.

I hated Burnout Legends.  Too difficult to see into the distance. 

Also, I was sadly disappointed by the only Shutokou Battle game (released in the west as Street Supremacy).  Unlike the others in the series, there is no driving around, flashing your lights at potential competitors.  Instead each race is just loaded in separately.  Totally feels like they hadn't got to grips with the hardware.  There's a version of Wangan Midnight, which I haven't got round to playing yet.

DJ Max Portable 2 is pretty incredible. Ok, the music is largely terrible, but the core mechanic of the game is unrivalled (in my experience). Unlike other rhythm games that either make a generic noise when you hit a note or carry on playing the backing track, it cues the sample from that bit of the track. Although you get points, the main reward is getting the track to sound correct. When it clicks, it's amazing.