Sony PSP Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

25 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Tried R-Type Tactics, an odd strategy game where you arrange fleets of ships against various enemies. Going to be honest, I had a job reading the small text even on the bigger Vita screen, but looked interesting. Might try it on the PC under emulation and see if that helps. 

The Tactics games are coming to PC and consoles next year, which might alleviate small-screen issues. :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2169930/RType_Tactics_I__II_Cosmos/

Been going through the PSP library on InternetArchive and it’s just so great.

Firstly it’s huge, and it’s full of Poundland versions of PS2 and PS3 games, which are really good but also a bit crappy. They do all have widescreen which is obviously great, plus there’s loads of licensed shite (every CGI animation released between 2004 and 2012 has a game on PSP), tons of racing games, some of the best RPGs ever made, the best golf ever made, and then crazy stuff like a Metal Gear Solid card game.

It’s getting really easy to play through them because of how easy it is to emulate, and obviously the games being in widescreen look great on modern displays. Love it.

The PSP and Vita were two handheld consoles that were really cheap to collect for. I am not sure if that is still the case though. There are some great games on both systems. I especially like the Vita, (although there are no manuals) as the boxes are so small.

There are enough rare/desirable games on PSP and especially Vita to satisfy the pure collector and that's only going to get more so. Surprising as it's recent but then I guess by the time the Vita came along digital downloads were pretty much the norm. 

I have to say after a couple of hours play, Rock Band Unplugged is amazing. Don't treat it like a Rock Band game, more like a rhythm puzzler and a world of fun is yours. 

No calibration option might put some off, but you'll get used to it.