IGNORED

Sony PSP Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

Anyone know any good guides for getting PSX games up and running on 6.60CFW?

Everything I can find just seems to say get Popsloader, and then get psx ISOS and put them on the machine. I have no idea what goes where.

Good article here about the various retro compilations avaiable for the PSP.  I can see the appeal over direct emulation.  I reckon I'll whack them all on when I've got a bigger memory card sorted.  There'll be more than enough to be getting on with.  I stuck Capcom Classics Reloaded on it yesterday - it's perfect for what I want and it inspired me to fire up the PS2 for the first time in ages and play some Knights of the Round with my Namco stick :wub:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/psp/the-psp-retro-compilation-library

On 29/04/2016 at 11:37 AM, Pavey said:

I just got one of these mate, cheap and large and it works fantastically - 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152062151553?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This works nicely and I prefer it to the photofast solution as it seems a lot less flimsy.  it hasn't really solved my issues though.  If I go to memory stick under the games section of the menu, I have to wait for each bunch of icons to load before I can see what each item is.  Loading itself is not an issue, it's just this initial wait to view each icon.  If I want to load something halfway down the list, I have to scroll down to roughly where I think the item might be, wait for the icons to load and repeat.  I guess I've just got too much stuff on there.  It's not a massive deal, but mildly irritating.

Anyway, I've started playing Ridge Racer again :wub:

On 30/04/2016 at 3:55 AM, Marius said:

No way could I limit myself to a top five, although you have made excellent choices.  Here's a quick list of my favourite games:

Parodius Collection - Who wouldn't want a collection of some of the most fun shooters ever?

Ridge Racers / 2 - Took my breath away at launch, and still does

Hot Shots Golf / 2 - Best version of a great series.

Burnout Legends - There are many great racers on PSP, but this is the best

Pirates - I never played the X-box or SNES version.  A great example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

Outrun 2006 - I never get tired of this.

Jeanne d'Arc - One of the best tactics games ever

Mega Man Powered Up - It's Mega man with a graphics overhaul and a great level editor

I am an air traffic controller - Just one airport for each game, not like the DS game, but great camera angles

Cricket Captain - no need for reflexes, so perfect for killing time on those commutes when you can't get a seat.

Capcom Classics Collection / Compilation - OK, they're on PS2, but I love having these great games on the move.

Kenka Bancho Badass Rumble - I'm a sucker for exploring cities, and this is a great premise.

Test Driver Unlimited - An incredible technical achievement.

Ikkitousen Cross Impact - Side scrolling fighting game with high school girls - what's not to like?

Parodius Collection is lovely, but always leaves me wanting to go off and play some of the games on a bigger screen and a decent d-pad. 

I recall one of the compilations being ever so slightly shonky in terms of emulation quality.  Can't remember it it was one of the Capcom efforts, or a Namco one perhaps. 

I'd like to get round to playing Jeanne D'Arc at some point, but I just don't have time for RPGs (or much else tbh) at the moment.  I did really, really enjoy Brave Story.  It's one of about three RPGs I've ever completed.

After last weeks Retronauts I decided to get my hands on a copy of Dracula X Chronicles. Christ on a bike it's difficult! I spent ages trying to get past the werewolf boss and I only just lucked out in the end. I know I'm older but this is just maddeningly frustrating the characters slow pull and daft weight physics mean you die way too quickly a lot of time not through fault of your own. They were saying how awesome it was and I really tried but not for me, instead I fired up SOTN which felt a whole lot better. Think I'll try and give it a proper go this time to complete.

2 hours ago, Camel said:

This works nicely and I prefer it to the photofast solution as it seems a lot less flimsy.  it hasn't really solved my issues though.  If I go to memory stick under the games section of the menu, I have to wait for each bunch of icons to load before I can see what each item is.  Loading itself is not an issue, it's just this initial wait to view each icon.  If I want to load something halfway down the list, I have to scroll down to roughly where I think the item might be, wait for the icons to load and repeat.  I guess I've just got too much stuff on there.  It's not a massive deal, but mildly irritating.

What specific memory card are you using and how many files are you trying to list? I just test dumped a load of movie files onto my one when I got it to see if it could access files above 32GB (which it can), but I get the same thing happening if I scroll quickly through the file list as it has to scan the files individually to work out what's inside it, probably over 100 individual files.

Games are likely to be even slower due to how icons and names would be read from files and how fragmented things might get after a while.

And another thing which is likely to hamper processing speed is the fact the CPU was designed back in the early 1990s. A more modern CPU should have less problem doing the processing, a comparison with the PS Vita and a similarly full memory card could prove that.

Has anyone with a 3000 noticed a rounded rectangle in the centre of the screen? I got an apparent new one from eBay deal posted in the deals thread. I've mentioned it in there but I'm not sure if anyone who has got one is looking in the thread anymore (or if I'm just being ignored :p). Having a look around the net I have seen a few mentions of it as well as a photo on reddit that looked exactly the same. I'm guessing it's a manufacturing fault that didn't appear until later into its life.

4 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

After last weeks Retronauts I decided to get my hands on a copy of Dracula X Chronicles. Christ on a bike it's difficult! I spent ages trying to get past the werewolf boss and I only just lucked out in the end. I know I'm older but this is just maddeningly frustrating the characters slow pull and daft weight physics mean you die way too quickly a lot of time not through fault of your own. They were saying how awesome it was and I really tried but not for me, instead I fired up SOTN which felt a whole lot better. Think I'll try and give it a proper go this time to complete.

Same here.  The werewolf made me come very close to throwing my PSP against the wall so I deleted the game.  I'll stick to Castlevania on the SNES and PCE instead.  I also really didn't like the 2.5D graphics which suck all the life and charm out of the game IMO.  I'm sure some people think it looks better than the original Rondo.  Wrong people.

I still need to get one of these at some point. I've hardly got very far with hand held systems over the years and the GBA Micro I bought a few years ago has had next to no use what so ever. End up just turning straight to my PS3 instead, but for the PSP I've got this one stray game that remains unplayed on my shelf of games which I've owned since about 2007 and it's one of the Valkyrie Profile spin offs "Lenneth". The irony is that I've also got VP2 Silmeria on the PS2 but it's sealed haha. I don't make a habit of this, it's just the way it happened.

Of the PSP games I have played, I think aside from the Sega Collection (which has a more extensive collection on the 360 and PS3) I've only really properly tried out the Medievil game which came out as an actual remake of the first, and that game has always been known as a classic PS1 title. I seem to remember the PSP one being quite good to play but never finished it off due to only having a PSP on borrow from one of my cousins years ago. I came so close to buying one of those blue brand new PSPs that were going for £40 mentioned in the bargain section the other week, but narrowly missed out when I returned to the ebay page later that evening.

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth is just a port with some added features (to satisfy SCEA, who didn't allow straight ports of PS1 games to be released in the US, thus stuff like Breath of Fire III and Tales of Eternia weren't released over there) of the PS1 original. It's very good. 

13 hours ago, Camel said:

Anyway, I've started playing Ridge Racer again :wub:

Parodius Collection is lovely, but always leaves me wanting to go off and play some of the games on a bigger screen and a decent d-pad. 

I recall one of the compilations being ever so slightly shonky in terms of emulation quality.  Can't remember it it was one of the Capcom efforts, or a Namco one perhaps. 

I'd like to get round to playing Jeanne D'Arc at some point, but I just don't have time for RPGs (or much else tbh) at the moment.  I did really, really enjoy Brave Story.  It's one of about three RPGs I've ever completed.

I know what you mean about wanting to play the Parodius games on a bigger screen - the only one I don't have on a home console is the slow original MSX game.  It's rare that I can be bothered to put the PS1 or Saturn disk in, though, so I love the PSP collection having them all together.  Which is your favourite.  For me, I think it's Gokujou Parodius.

Jeanne d'Arc isn't really an RPG - it's a turn-based strategy game, and can be played in bite-sized chunks.  One of the most addictive parts is when you unlock the ability to combine gems.  It's like fusing personas in Persona 4 Golden, but I preferred it.

Ridge Racers is so good.  Plays and looks great.  Those graphics were so much better than anything that had ever appeared on a handheld.

13 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

Was playing Ikki Tousen Eloquent Fist (rather than the newer Xross Impact) over the weekend, thanks for the tip Marius, never heard of it before! 

Glad you're enjoying it.  There are a lot of gems in Japan that didn't make it to the West.  People who visit here are surprised by how much presence the PSP has in second-hand game shops.

18 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth is just a port with some added features (to satisfy SCEA, who didn't allow straight ports of PS1 games to be released in the US, thus stuff like Breath of Fire III and Tales of Eternia weren't released over there) of the PS1 original. It's very good. 

Yeah SCEA had some stupid policies at the time for PSP, I worked on a couple of PSP titles so have first hand experience of SCEA and SCEE often crazy policies. SCEE decided 480p should be removed from all PS2 games utter madness. Funny enough the last retail game I worked on was Splitsecond for PSP it was a decent port and Sumo did a good job for the time they had.

There's a lot of good PSP games and even more great imports titles as the PSP is region free.

My top five off the top of my head:

Megaman Powered Up

Pursuit Force

Gradius Collection

Tactics Orge "Let us cling together"

Valkyria Chronicles 3 E2 (Later Japanese release with all the DLC included)

1 hour ago, Riven said:

Yeah SCEA had some stupid policies at the time for PSP, I worked on a couple of PSP titles so have first hand experience of SCEA and SCEE often crazy policies. SCEE decided 480p should be removed from all PS2 games utter madness.

I assume you're referring to progressive scan output? I can see the reason they might have done that. Not that much hardware supported it at the time and they don't want the support hassle I assume, some PAL PS2 games do support it though. Was a similar situation with the GameCube and Xbox, they don't have full support for progressive scan either in their PAL variants.

There are some very cool cheat plugins for a modded PSP, I used one recently to unlock SOTN from Castlevania, because the first time I did it look ages and I lost my savegame file.  Ive used it to play through some older games that I was playing for nostalgia instead of challenge.  

You hold down the select button for a few seconds and a menu comes up and you can activate or deactivate cheats at will.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/psp-cheat-plugin-setup.333704/

The later models have more system RAM, not sure if anything homebrew takes advantage of that fact. A quick Google indicates it might to be useful for Arcade emulation. I hope you don't mind the 3000's major fault, once you've seen it, you can't unsee it ;)

5 hardware revisions, none of them perfect, why?!?

Thread made me dig out my PSP1000, get one of the linked 32Gb memory cards + adaptors (works great!) and mod it with CFW (which was a lot easier than I remember!).

The console has aged really, really well. Games still look and play great, and the unit itself seems as sexy to me as it always did. Outrun 2, especially, feels just as good today as when I first played it in 2006. And there seems to be a an enormous back catalogue of games I've never even heard of. Gibber.

Dave

Weird thing - the console used to seem really big to me when it came out and now feels small.  I guess because of the comparative size of the Vita.

I've been using Homer's Rin to play GB Donkey Kong :wub:

I love the psp, particularly the go which I personally consider the most under rated console of all time.

Never tried the modding thing as I've assumed it's very difficult for someone with no technical nohow.

If memory serves its simply a case of dropping 3 files into the right directory. Then running one. 

Remains soft modded until you do a full restart (sleep is fine). At which point you run the re-modding file which is one of the 3 files. 

I did it a while back so things may have changed. But I doubt it's got harder.