IGNORED

Sony PSP Appreciation Thread

Nathan Wind

Has the GBA emulator been updated recently because the last time I tried it (about 2010) it was pretty choppy on most games I tried.

The PSP can be clocked up to 333mhz, if I remember rightly, even the original Xbox can't handle N64 properly.

14 minutes ago, Vimster said:

Has the GBA emulator been updated recently because the last time I tried it (about 2010) it was pretty choppy on most games I tried.

The PSP can be clocked up to 333mhz, if I remember rightly, even the original Xbox can't handle N64 properly.

The one I am using is GBASP 35 and it runs like brilliantly. Maybe a tiny tiny tiny bit jerky, but am loving playing games on it. It's brill.

And thanks Bluejam, thought as much about the N64 stuff. To be honest, with all my PSP games, the GB and GBA emulator, I am set. Might try the Neo Geo one at some point as well. It's just an outstanding little machine, can't believe I ever got rid of it.

I really want to play ultimate ghouls and ghosts again, mainly for nostalgia purposes. Which model should I go for? And where should I buy from? Presumably ebay is the only option? I would also like to try out emulation, or at least the stuff that isnt currently available on the vita. Any suggestions?

Dipped into this thread out of curiosity and have just fired up my silver Crisis Core PSP for the first time in ages.

Bloody hell what a system.

Square's output on PSP is great. Not a bad title of theirs on the system. The 3rd Birthday is an underrated treat IMO.

Sony really fucked up not calling Vita the PSP2.

Got my old PSP up and running thanks to this thread, luckily I remembered my old PSN password and everything's still available to redownload. Took all day but got my 32Gb stick filled up again and everything up to date.

Another fan of The 3rd Birthday here, it did feel like it got the PArasite Eve stuff tacked onto it so it would sell, but the gameplay itself is a lot of fun.

While my 3DS has taken over Monster Hunter, Tekken and Ridge Racer duties, my old PSP's worth it just for the two Wipeout games. Plus a lot of great retro compilations released for it.

2 hours ago, Yartek said:

Got my old PSP up and running thanks to this thread, luckily I remembered my old PSN password and everything's still available to redownload. Took all day but got my 32Gb stick filled up again and everything up to date.

Another fan of The 3rd Birthday here, it did feel like it got the PArasite Eve stuff tacked onto it so it would sell, but the gameplay itself is a lot of fun.

While my 3DS has taken over Monster Hunter, Tekken and Ridge Racer duties, my old PSP's worth it just for the two Wipeout games. Plus a lot of great retro compilations released for it.

God, I love those two Wipeout games so much I just paid for them again on my vita. Plus three DLCs for pulse. Totally worth it tho. And I have a soft spot for the Warriors. ALtho soft spot might be the wrong phrase, considering.

The Wipeout games are amazing. Plus you can still track down all the DLC for pure (which was free on release, but the main site is down now). The Locorocos, Patapons, Tactics games (Ogre, FF war of the lions, Disgaea etc), Ridge Racer, the list is massive. It was an amazing console and still is. My 10 and 12 year old want to play on the PSP rather than the PS3 at the moment, and they are generally sniffy about 'retro' gaming. It also has loads of brave, innovative stuff like Half Minute Hero, which is amazing.

For anyone looking for the Wipeout Pure download packs, I got mine from here, has the EU/US/JAP versions.

https://www.mediafire.com/?r0cty7z2p65m1

I literally bought a PSP for Wipeout, I'd seen previews of Pure and everyone saying it was a return to form, so a few weeks before the PSP was released in the UK, I picked up an import Japanese model, with EU copies of Ridge Racer and Wipeout Pure in a nice bundle from a shop in Croydon that worked out the same as waiting for the EU console. My brother has that one now.

Forgot about THe Warriors, that was a fantastic port. Also if you can get used to the buttons, Street Fighter Alpha 3 is fantastic. Never got on with Half Minute Hero, appreciated what it was doing but never clicked with me. Ys:Oath In Felghana and Ys Seven are both excellent action RPGs for the system.

(And thanks to people pointing towards Cash Generator for PSPs, mine has a small crack in the corner of the screen, which I don't mind but if it gets worse, be looking for a replacement.)

I still have my PSP!  I got mine in HMV Piccadilly Circus on Day 1 (Sept 2005) - I couldn't pass up the chance to play PlayStation 2-like games on the move.  

I mainly used this on the train to and from work (the "suspend" feature being very handy here).  I never did install any cracked OS firmware with it, couldn't see the point.

I could never finish the PlayStation 2 Grand Theft Auto games but I did finish Liberty City Stories.

I was disappointed with Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX - well not with the game specifically but the d-pad was AWFUL to use with it.

Games I got with it:

Burnout Dominator

Tekken: Dark Resurrection

TOCA Race Driver 2

Wipeout Pure

Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX

Worms: Open Warfare

Burnout: Legends

Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

Bomberman

I did also get some movies on UMD format but I stopped doing that when I bought a UMD film (I think it was Rush Hour 3) that cost something like £7 from Dixons Tax Free and finding out a few days later that the DVD itself (with extras) cost only £5, so I took it back to a Dixons on Oxford Street and got a refund, bought the DVD and ripped that instead.

• 7 months later...

So, it looks like I may be getting a PSP on Monday, not sure what firmware is on it, or anything like that at the moment. But want an emulation machine (and something to play Super Puzzle Fighter and Puyo Pop Fever). 

What is the latest with modding? I assume I can still pick up all the needed files and sure to do so? Can I do it from a mac? Or do I need a PC for anything in particular?

Any ideas on the best emulators out there? Mainly SNES / Mega Drive / GBA stuff. 

Can't answer the mac question but if it's the fat PSP some emulators struggle. 

Snes is ok (ish) but it's hasnt really been updated for ages. May have to use frame skip for some stuff. I find the GBA emulator better!

Megadrive (Picodrive) is great, so is Neo Geo. The Neo Geo emulators have had some unofficial updates to play better on the 3000. 

Dont bother with MAME or N64 stuff. With MAME you might be better off playing any compilations that were released on the PSP

Speccy, early Atari's, c64, PC Engine all work well.

wololo.net is good for walkthroughs and stuff

Cheers, not sure what one it is yet, but think it is a 1000 series. I was able to run the Mario games on it last time out, so as long as I can do that. Suppose I will find out more come Monday. 

19 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Cheers, not sure what one it is yet, but think it is a 1000 series. I was able to run the Mario games on it last time out, so as long as I can do that. Suppose I will find out more come Monday. 

I think Mario on the SNES emulator is playable but its been a while since i played it on the PSP. I played the GBA version more

Yoshis Island is another story :(

Well it has begun

IMG_0023.thumb.JPG.96659289f55c4537c5e9b0a1a9803e9b.JPG

I think I'll try and get a newer SKU at some point!

Also have on their way:

Puyo Pop Fever
Gunpey
Everybody's Golf
Archer McLean's Mercury

6 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Well it has begun

IMG_0023.thumb.JPG.96659289f55c4537c5e9b0a1a9803e9b.JPG

I think I'll try and get a newer SKU at some point!

Also have on their way:

Puyo Pop Fever
Gunpey
Everybody's Golf
Archer McLean's Mercury

That tennis game is great.  The sequel is rubbish - there's an infuriating pause just before you hit the ball.