IGNORED

Punisher - Season 2 out now

Padaxes

Just finished this tonight and loved it. 

Spoiler

Did feel a bit dragged out over 13 episodes so had some pacing issues and filler that wasn't needed.  All the scenes with Dinah's mum could have been scrapped for example. And Frank's mountain trip of mass murder was a bit unnecessary  (despite providing some great action moments) and felt like it was there to pad the show out a bit. Likewise the subplot with Lee Harvey Oswald bloke could have been less prominent. Not that any of that made it worse (well apart from Dinah's mum because her voice was well annoying) or less enjoyable but it could have been cut without making a huge difference to the overall story.

Billy's betrayal was also very obvious but then again if you're a fan of the comics you would have known it was coming. I don't have a huge amount of knowledge about Punisher so when Frank started smashing Billy's face off the mirror I was like "oh shit! He's Jigsaw!" Which was cool but those that knew what Jigsaw's name is wouldn't have been as surprised. 

One thing that did annoy me a bit was how often Frank got shot or stabbed, seemed every episode he had another life threatening wound that he quickly patched up. 

In short: more plz 

Really enjoyed it, far more so than any of the other Marvel series, which I found to be very overrated on the whole.

Would definitely watch a second season of this whilst not bothering at all with any further episodes of DD,JJ & LC.

I'm thinking about Frank Castles character progression in season 2. I think season 1 did a great job of balancing between Franks bursts of rage and his "normal self", but I'm not sure that balance can be maintained forever. Will season 2 see more one dimensional Frank Castle?

I’m about eight eps in and this is just fantastic. The only other Marvel series I’ve watched is the first half of Daredevil s1 and I bailed on that as it was a bit boring and uneven. This is about 100 times better. Much more compelling characters and themes, and a decent if derivative plot. They’ve set up some really interesting dynamics, particularly with Lieberman and his family. Great writing.

I’ve not noticed any mid-season slump. It’s just got better and better as I’ve got to know the characters. Only Medani feels a underdeveloped so far. 

I fucking love the opening and ending themes as well. 

I'd disagree with that totally! It wasn't until the later episodes that Billy became a bit more three dimensional. That's when he became an interesting character. The scene with his mother made him  more realistic as opposed to a generic moustache twirling cackling stereotype. 

I admire what Bernthal is going for, but I just can't get on with him on screen.  It's definitely not him, it's me.  He creeps me out, and I don't think he's tall or imposing enough.

I'd still recommend people taking a punt on this though.

On 24/11/2017 at 15:14, Stevie said:

Agreed. They did a god job of merging Franks sadness and anger together, in a way that made Frank appear vulnerable and fragile, despite his extremely violent actions.

I recently discovered that Josh Wendon dislikes The Punisher:

"One of the things I like about the X-Men is they're not killing people. I miss the idea of... heroes who stop that kind of thing from happening. Here's why I'm not running Marvel: If I was, I would kill the Punisher. I don't believe in what he does. The Punisher just shoots up places. And if you're telling me he's never hit an innocent, then I'm telling you, that's fascist crap".

Weedan is a massive puss tbh with all his hyper feminism rants;  i.e. his comments about x-men. He didn't like it because apocalypse had hold of mystique and that was promoting violence against women. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

One question:

the stuff shown right at the start of episode one and referred back to as pre The Punisher’s “death” - presumably that’s all shown in DD season 2?

Spoiler

Yes. It's actually worth watching the series up to that point just for a certain scene in a prison...

Sheesh, this gets almost as violent as Rambo 4 by the end! I actually went to bed a bit depressed last night, which was probably the intention.

Spoilers for up to ep 12:

Spoiler

I was watching ep 12 convinced it was the last one, and thought it was an extremely ballsy ending having it end with Frank beaten to a pulp on the floor, having fully accepted his nature as a killer with the cut to black on him saying "home". I was surprised to see there's another episode to come. I slightly spoiled the last one, I think, by looking up who 'Jigsaw' is on Wikipedia.

Also, I think the backstory was incredibly well done back in ep 1. It only really occurred to me that it was a summary of 'events you might've missed' when I realised this series follows on from DD2. I had it in my head this was a prequel, what with all the clamshell phones and references to Afghanistan. I'm definitely going to watch DD to get the lowdown on all that stuff. Which episodes do I need to watch if all I'm interested in is The Punisher?

I was less than enthused about this after the one-two punch of the awful Iron Fist and The Defenders. But it was good stuff and reminded of why I enjoyed the first season of Daredevil and Jessica Jones, before the Marvel/Netflix line spiralled into long drawn out series of mediocrity. One bit of the series I really didn't like though:

The gun control stuff.

”So Senator Strawman you believe in stricter gun control but use armed security personnel.”

sMuLax0.png

Just horrible.

I thought that whole episode would've been better if they just told it in a linear fashion. I thought that whole "6 hours earlier" TV show fad had been and gone. It wasn't used to add an interesting new perspective beyond "there are multiple versions of teh truth!" and evaporated the tension somewhat.

That aside, I thought that was absolutely brilliant. I've become a bit obsessed with it actually. I've always liked the idea of The Punisher as a character but not being a reader of comics, never really seen him in a decent story. Only seen the Thomas Jane film, which was shit (though the Dirty Laundry short is awesome).

I hope they're able to carry the quality into further series and don't bog it down too much in the wider Marvel stuff. It works as something totally separate. After some distracting snarling and head-bobbing early on, Bernthal really made the role his own, in particular putting in a heartbreaking performance in the penultimate episode. Paul Schulze was brilliant too. A total cunt. 

I'd really love a decent big-budget Punisher game where you go around the city endlessly bringing fascist justice to thugs.

4 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

It'd actually kind of work as a GTA style slaughter-em-up where the cops turn up and you have to scarper without murdering any of them, due to Frank's incredibly hypocritical ideas on who it's ok to kill.

Exactly! This is exactly how I played Watch Dogs, which is kind of a Punisher game with a douchebag standing in for The Punisher.