Jump to content
IGNORED

Xbox One X


Bojangle
 Share

Recommended Posts

I assume almost everyone will not be buying one regardless of price because graphics don't matter and only gameplay is important right?

 

It seems like a lot of money for a console full stop, but also good value for money if you consider how much a high-end (nevermind top-end) GPU costs. But I don't think for a moment this will be doing native 4k at 60fps for most games. I think people really, really underestimate how tough that is. The current highest end GPUs can only manage it in some games, and they cost in excess of  £600+ for the card alone. I foresee lots of "dynamic resolution" and checkerboarding and different modes and so on.

 

But this is the problem. The PS4 pro dared to suggest the devil was in the details and then failed to deliver, or at least delivered a messy list of varying upgrades that weren't consistent. The offering needs to be simpler and more meaningful, or they may as well just stick a PC style graphics option menu in the game and be done with it.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh I should say I think the Xbox One X is going to sell gangbusters, at that price. That's my bollock on the line.

 

I remember how many people on here thought MS had lost their minds when they launched a pad for £130, a pad that was still regaularly selling out years after its launch. There's a market for this and they'll be all over it.

 

I personally was looking for a justification to get it at launch. I didn't get that last night, but I'm still very interested in replacing my existing console with one at some point in the next year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Moz said:

It seems like a lot of money for a console full stop, but also good value for money if you consider how much a high-end (nevermind top-end) GPU costs. But I don't think for a moment this will be doing native 4k at 60fps for most games. I think people really, really underestimate how tough that is.

 

I agree - it seems excellent value for the tech and form factor and engineering. Whether people want it in volume is a different question, but the Bone X seems "fairly" priced to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Moz said:

 

It seems like a lot of money for a console full stop, but also good value for money if you consider how much a high-end (nevermind top-end) GPU costs. But I don't think for a moment this will be doing native 4k at 60fps for most games. I think people really, really underestimate how tough that is. The current highest end GPUs can only manage it in some games, and they cost in excess of  £600+ for the card alone. I foresee lots of "dynamic resolution" and checkerboarding and different modes and so on.

 

 

 

 

Totally agree on this. 4K is a colossal colossal ask. Punting that amount of pixels around requires an insane amount of tech. And I'd argue, what the fuck for?? I don't understand this obsession with resolution, things looks great at 1080. Shit, it's not like playing Tombraider in 320x200 is it! Ahhh those were the days! :blush:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm super interested in the kind of performance we'll see on it for 1080p displays going forward. If it has the best version of most third party games at 1080p I'll be sitting up and taking notice, though maybe waiting for a price drop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, gizmo1990 said:

 And I'd argue, what the fuck for?? I don't understand this obsession with resolution, things looks great at 1080. 

 

Mass Effect Andromeda at 1080p or some scaling from 1440p > 1080p on a 4k telly looks awful compared to a clean 4k image.

Forza Horizon 3 at 4k/60 looks amazing, and some of that cleanliness is lost at 1080p.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, TehStu said:

 

But they just launched mixed reality, with a bunch of new VR headsets. HoloLens isn't even out yet, and it's not clear it was ever intended to be an Xbox peripheral. I think dead is a leap.

 

It is, at least a business level. I used one last year for a bit round at an aeronautics engineering company. Apparently they weren't used much, they were more for show. Pretty underwhelming to use too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, footle said:

 

Mass Effect Andromeda at 1080p or some scaling from 1440p > 1080p on a 4k telly looks awful compared to a clean 4k image.

Forza Horizon 3 at 4k/60 looks amazing, and some of that cleanliness is lost at 1080p.

 

Well it's eye of the beholder stuff I'm sure. I've not seen Andromeda under those settings but I doubt I'd describe it as awful if I had. Everyone's mileage is gonna differ those I suppose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do all the big Xbox exclusives hit the PC? Because if they do I might just go the whole hog and buy a decent self build and hook it to my 4K tv. What card would be the Xbox equivalent, am I best just getting a 1080 if I want 4K resolutions?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

 

Well it's eye of the beholder stuff I'm sure. I've not seen Andromeda under those settings but I doubt I'd describe it as awful if I had. Everyone's mileage is gonna differ those I suppose.

 

Awful "compared to".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, amc said:

Do all the big Xbox exclusives hit the PC? Because if they do I might just go the whole hog and buy a decent self build and hook it to my 4K tv. What card would be the Xbox equivalent, am I best just getting a 1080 if I want 4K resolutions?

 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but every single game shown last night is also coming to PC, or already out on PC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Alex W. said:

The thing I keep coming back to is that small form factor and the high-end cooling it requires. That thing's got to be built like a high-end workstation inside, and that doesn't come cheap. There are so many different ways it could've worked out that way.

 

Was a price over $400 inevitable given the silicon, and they decided to spend a bit extra to make it truly luxurious?

Was it always going to need a fancy cooling solution, and the small size was basically "free" as a side effect?

Was it some executive's mad obsession that added $100 to the price and they're going to hang for it if the console fails?

 

I can't wait to see a teardown.

 

Always seemed inevitable to me, and stated so ages ago.

 

Compared to the PS4P, they have to pay for 4K BD support costs, extra 4GB GDDR5 RAM, more expensive SoC and a more expensive cooling solution which is required because they decided to push the clocks of their chip compared to Sony's downclock of Polaris. Microsoft also aren't in the business of massive loss leaders/landgrabs anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, mushashi said:

 

Always seemed inevitable to me, and stated so ages ago.

 

Compared to the PS4P, they have to pay for 4K BD support costs, extra 4GB GDDR5 RAM, more expensive SoC and a more expensive cooling solution which is required because they decided to push the clocks of their chip compared to Sony's downclock of Polaris. Microsoft also aren't in the business of massive loss leaders/landgrabs anymore.

 

I guess I'm wondering whether it would've been possible to make a bigger, uglier version and how much it would've cut off the price if anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It wouldn't have had any effect on the cost of the 4 things I mentioned, seems more a bonus side-effect of the cooling solution, a bit like when Sony's engineering team redesigned the PS2 when they did a massive die shrink and cut the power requirements to fuckall compared to the launch model.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

Oh I should say I think the Xbox One X is going to sell gangbusters, at that price. That's my bollock on the line.

 

I remember how many people on here thought MS had lost their minds when they launched a pad for £130, a pad that was still regaularly selling out years after its launch. There's a market for this and they'll be all over it.

 

I personally was looking for a justification to get it at launch. I didn't get that last night, but I'm still very interested in replacing my existing console with one at some point in the next year.

 

What's the definition of gangbusters though? better than the current 1 in 5 sales rate of the PS4 Pro?

 

You mention the Elite controller as some sort of massive demand for expensive stuff example, but that has only sold over 1 Million units so far, if that is the sort of success a $500 console can expect, then it'll be forever a niche product and not the latest Apple hardware release.

 

Microsoft themselves don't expect it to become a huge chunk of their sales, the X1S is still expected to do the bulk of new consoles sales for them.

 

If it manages to match the PS4 Pro install base, now that I would find impressive, considering it is more expensive and has a smaller upgrade audience to sell to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is this a whole new next gen thing or just a suped-up Xbox One which plays all the same games but in 4k? Seems to be getting reported like the former in the mainstream press, but then I spent about three years thinking the Wii U was a Wii add-on! I'm not sure if I should be annoyed the machine I've had two years is already obsolete, or just disinterested because I don't have a TV which will make use of it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

Is this a whole new next gen thing or just a suped-up Xbox One which plays all the same games but in 4k? Seems to be getting reported like the former in the mainstream press, but then I spent about three years thinking the Wii U was a Wii add-on! I'm not sure if I should be annoyed the machine I've had two years is already obsolete, or just disinterested because I don't have a TV which will make use of it!

 

It's the latter, like a PS4 Pro. You can largely ignore it if 4k isn't your bag.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, footle said:

 

Apart from the fact that the XBone is barely able to do 1080p :-)

 

Well, I left some wiggle room with "largely". They've goofed the messaging again if anyone is running with the "next gen" story. Right at the start of the MS conference, someone here posted "did they have to say it plays all your xbox one games?". Well, here's one reason why, apparently! I don't know which press it is mind, non-gaming I assume?

 

I hope we start getting some with/without comparisons soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, denisb said:

i remember reading there was going to be a trade in deal from microsoft for xbox one owners has that been mentioned ? 

 

either way im buying im sad enough i buy every console at launch regardless 

 

This is me, I am this person, trying to talk my way out of this one though as I can't see a reason to upgrade from my current XB1. 

 

I don't have a 4k TV being the biggest reason. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, denisb said:

i remember reading there was going to be a trade in deal from microsoft for xbox one owners has that been mentioned ? 

 

either way im buying im sad enough i buy every console at launch regardless 

 

No specifics on pre-orders. "Exciting pre-order programme" is the most detailed answer IGN managed to get out of the marketing guy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

 

This is me, I am this person, trying to talk my way out of this one though as I can't see a reason to upgrade from my current XB1. 

 

I don't have a 4k TV being the biggest reason. 

 

I'm going to spend an insane amount on my setup at the end of the year:(....:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

 

This is me, I am this person, trying to talk my way out of this one though as I can't see a reason to upgrade from my current XB1. 

 

I don't have a 4k TV being the biggest reason. 

Even at 1080p games will look better as they'll use the 4K assets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.