IGNORED

Xbox One X

Bojangle

2 hours ago, Moz said:

I assume almost everyone will not be buying one regardless of price because graphics don't matter and only gameplay is important right?

Nah, they'll all buy it because this line was always bollocks. 

Nah, I was well up for jumping in day one, but I think I'll wait a while now.

I have got a 4K TV and I've recently updated my AV receiver and speaker setup, so it'd be perfect for me, but I just wasn't all that arsed by it all.

I really wanted some cool new games, and although as good as some of them looked, I can play them all on my original One.

In fact I might just upgrade to an S, to make better use of my TV, and wait until next summer until I get an X.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

I really wanted some cool new games, and although as good as some of them looked, I can play them all on my original One.

But that's by design, though. This isn't your situation, but people looking for the X to entice them were, really, looking for the whole One platform to entice them. That wasn't the point of the X, though.

Is the UI faster on the Pro? It chugs on my launch PS4. That might give some indication. 

I suspect they should split out the disc to hdd and patch download components of the install so people know exactly why it might be going slow.

15 minutes ago, TehStu said:

But that's by design, though. This isn't your situation, but people looking for the X to entice them were, really, looking for the whole One platform to entice them. That wasn't the point of the X, though.

Oh yeah, I get that. I just wanted something to wow me. Something to make me want to get one.

As cool as the hardware looks, I just left feeling a bit nonplussed by it all.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

Oh yeah, I get that. I just wanted something to wow me. Something to make me want to get one.

As cool as the hardware looks, I just left feeling a bit nonplussed by it all.

I was a little underwhelmed too, but I am getting into the HDR gig and I'm fairly sure I may as well get the X now, rather than the S and maybe X later. I'm hoping it was largely due to my awful 720p compressed stream. But those on 4k TVs said it looked mint, so I dunno. 

My stream was pretty poor, using something called xlei that my one s made me download before I could watch. Anyway re-watched a few at 4k and they do look stunning at that resolution. In fact I watched Anthem using my Xbox one S via youtube which only manages to stream at 1080p (I can get HDR streaming on my One S but not 4k, and 4K on my pro but not HDR, weird) then again on my PRO which streams full 4k and the difference between both looked massive. I know that's not exactly scientific DF style but anyone who can't see a difference between 1080 and 4k needs a trip to spec savers.

8 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Can the human eye tell the difference between 4k and checkerboard 4k, which I've only learnt was a thing due to this thread? 

Reviews of games that use it, like HZD, say it's excellent. Considering it basically doubles your pixel fill rate, it seems like a more than acceptable tradeoff. Not all game engines can utilise it (something about deferred referring), but then 1800p (or maybe variable 4k) will still be an option for a lot of titles. I seriously doubt that a typical living room distances, most people would be able to tell the difference between that and 4K.

It's baffling to me, this focus on resolution. BOTW is 900p with no AA and honestly, that looks fine to me in a living room setting. Maybe that has something to do with the visual style, but in all seriousness aren't there other things which should take priority? Most people who have experienced HDR agree it is much more beneficial to gaming than 4K. Many people who have experienced 60fps, quite honestly, find it hard to go back and definitely consider it more important than 4k. I'd have loved to have the option to render using checkerboarding at 1440p or 1080p, and use the extra headroom to push more frames. But neither Sony or Microsoft seem interested in giving us that option. Instead we have these incredibly expensive consoles, held back by their lineage, providing incremental benefits.

It's more than just the physical resolution, the list of improvements for Gears of War 4 is as follows

-4K Native at all times

-High Res Textures

-Higher Polygon count rendering

-Longer Draw Distance

-Fully Dynamic Shadows in entire environment

-Enhanced Shadow Detail

-Improved Reflections

So not only you going to get a big image quality improvement from 4k or Supersampled 1080p, but the game overall will look better. Higher res textures will be significant.

This is a luxury that the other console does not have

The PS4 Pro has similar enhancements for some games, but I get the impression that these are taken from the higher settings on PC versions usually, which by and large have diminishing returns in terms of the performance cost. This is understandable, as developers usually focus most of their efforts on the largest market available to them, which is owners of (non souped-up) consoles and / or maybe mediocre PCs. If you're one of the niche who spent more on their gaming hardware, you might get some extra settings or nice graphical options. Usually unless you're looking at stills side by side though, it's hard to tell the difference. At least on PC you get the option to spend the spare graphical and processing "budget" on what you would like. For me, that would be a fast and even delivery of frames, not some extra pixels or graphics effects that I wouldn't know were there unless you told me. Basically, I can ignore the hype around 4K and use the grunt for something else.

I understand others might feel differently, but it's exactly the lack of choice that bothers me really. I also just feel like it's a waste of hardware to push 4K (ish) resolutions onto living room TVs. Maybe for VR there is some benefit. But it's not like sitting at a desk where you can have a 30" monitor a couple of feet from your face.

1 hour ago, PC Master Race said:

The megabone has an extra 4GB of RAM available to games as well, this will have a huge impact on the quality of assets it will have over the PS4P.

Don't forget that caching on un-optimised games. (Or I guess games that just don't use all that extra RAM.) I can't wait to hear what this thing does to load times and pop-in.

2 minutes ago, clippa said:

The cpu is the bottleneck when it comes to loading times on the consoles, the bonk has a big gpu upgrade but not so much when it comes to the cpu.

Right, but if you can do all your asset loading and decompression into empty RAM while the CPU's relatively idle, ahead of time, you can skip a lot of the loading altogether. That's the benefit of the extra RAM.

2 hours ago, EvilBoris said:

It's more than just the physical resolution, the list of improvements for Gears of War 4 is as follows

-4K Native at all times

-High Res Textures

-Higher Polygon count rendering

-Longer Draw Distance

-Fully Dynamic Shadows in entire environment

-Enhanced Shadow Detail

-Improved Reflections

So not only you going to get a big image quality improvement from 4k or Supersampled 1080p, but the game overall will look better. Higher res textures will be significant.

This is a luxury that the other console does not have

Now if only they could improve it to a state where it's not a horribly broken mess. #DaretoDream. 

1 hour ago, PC Master Race said:

The megabone has an extra 4GB of RAM available to games as well, this will have a huge impact on the quality of assets it will have over the PS4P.

5GB. They made an announcement the other day that they've optimised the system to free up an extra GB.

6 minutes ago, King A said:

5GB. They made an announcement the other day that they've optimised the system to free up an extra GB.

The Bone/PS4/PS4P have around 5GB available for games, the megabone has 9.

Really interesting discussion with Ark dev, talking about full release for One X/W10 and comparisons to PS4 Pro and Xbox One capabilities. Xbox One "medium settings" One X "Ultra Settings" but "targeting" 60fps... Ominous for other games in the not too distant future? 

2 hours ago, Wallace said:

Really interesting discussion with Ark dev, talking about full release for One X/W10 and comparisons to PS4 Pro and Xbox One capabilities. Xbox One "medium settings" One X "Ultra Settings" but "targeting" 60fps... Ominous for other games in the not too distant future? 

So an example of targeting much higher quality for 1080p...

Destiny 2 framerate is reported as being 30fps on the Xbox X. It's CPU is the bottleneck it's seems.  Same issue with the PS Pro.  I think they should offer 1080p/60 if possible for those that want it.